Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can canberra support 2 teams in the future?

+13
Raider_United
mikey_porto
Sebastian
Toby
Galileo
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
(::FAQ::)
Alex351
Mickey_Raider
MinsterMan
RealCanberra23
Joey47
Chris1822
17 posters
Go down
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Can canberra support 2 teams in the future? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can canberra support 2 teams in the future?

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:01 pm
mikey_porto wrote:
aleague4canberra wrote:
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
mikey_porto wrote:Mate, how old are you???? You are talking sh*t.

Gotta agree with with you here. 2 Canberra teams has got to be one of the most stupid ideas that has been brought up on this forum.

aleague4canberra, how can you justify Canberra growing to 900K in 30 years? If we have only grown 150K in the last 30 years, then what is your proof behind us growing 550K in the next 30?

Tell me, what is this rivalry between North and South? I actually don't know any rivalry for the two, bar Southsiders preffering Rugby Union and Northsiders prefering League.

You were criticising Sydney, saying if the Western Sydneysiders wanted to watch first class football, then they could just travel 30 mins to see SFC play.

once again: the population grew by 250% in 30 years, so a 250% increase would see the population at 900K.

the rivalry between north and south? well how do you describe a rivalry in words?????

look we are all entitled to our own opinions on this forum, and my opinion is that later down the track canberra could support two teams.

may i remind everyone that canberra city and inter-monaro were both in the NSL at the same time a while back. and with the existing revolution of football in this country added onto the further revolution over the next 30 years or so i still standby my statement.

I would like someone to give some concrete reasons why this wouldn't work?

*clears throat*

Where do I start?

I'll tell you where! Even if we have a population of 900K, we would still get terrible crowds. Mind you, we won't be anywhere near 900K, more like 550K. These two areas are seperated by Northbourne. It is not like Western Sydney where they are seperated by 45 mins. I can only see 2 teams in one city in Sydney and Melbourne, who both have populations of 4 million.

Secondly, we have already tried this as you pointed out. Inter-Monaro and Canberra City. And how did that end? In total failure. The crowds may be a little up from those games, but really not that much.

Thirdly, rivalries do have some background to it. Just becasue there is a South canberra and a North Canberra, doesn't mean they are rivals. They'd be rivals if they hated eachother or if the two areas had historical background.

Fourthly, could you imagine the crowds? Sydney a population of 4 million, and a city with one team get pathetic crowds. As do Brisbane and Perth.

I could go on and on.

I just can't see where this idea is coming from?
clap
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Can canberra support 2 teams in the future? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can canberra support 2 teams in the future?

Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:21 pm
mikey_porto wrote:Even if we have a population of 900K, we would still get terrible crowds. Mind you, we won't be anywhere near 900K, more like 550K. These two areas are seperated by Northbourne.

how can you predict what crowds will be like in 30-40 years?? or population for that matter??? i just used the population growth percentage to gain my figures.

mikey_porto wrote:It is not like Western Sydney where they are seperated by 45 mins. I can only see 2 teams in one city in Sydney and Melbourne, who both have populations of 4 million.

no it's not seperated by a great distance but you ask any person in canberra whether they are from the north or south and i'd guess that everyone would be able to tell you where they associate themself with, which comes back to my point about association, i'd associate myself moreso with a north canberra team then a general canberra team.

mikey_porto wrote:Secondly, we have already tried this as you pointed out. Inter-Monaro and Canberra City. And how did that end? In total failure. The crowds may be a little up from those games, but really not that much.

That was 25 years ago in a poorly run administration, really it's the same argument as the cosmos failing, i was merely pointing out that it has been done before so it's not that ridiculous regardless of the outcome.

mikey_porto wrote:Thirdly, rivalries do have some background to it. Just becasue there is a South canberra and a North Canberra, doesn't mean they are rivals. They'd be rivals if they hated eachother or if the two areas had historical background.

see the first comment

mikey_porto wrote:Fourthly, could you imagine the crowds? Sydney a population of 4 million, and a city with one team get pathetic crowds. As do Brisbane and Perth.

...now, what about in 30-40 years, what do you reckon the crowds will be then for sydney and brisbane and the like?? not to mention the geographical hindrances that mean that sydney FC can't draw from that 4 mil population.

once again i standby my comments.
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:53 am
aleague4canberra wrote:
mikey_porto wrote:It is not like Western Sydney where they are seperated by 45 mins. I can only see 2 teams in one city in Sydney and Melbourne, who both have populations of 4 million.

no it's not seperated by a great distance but you ask any person in canberra whether they are from the north or south and i'd guess that everyone would be able to tell you where they associate themself with, which comes back to my point about association, i'd associate myself moreso with a north canberra team then a general canberra team.

What the hell has that got do with anything? Okay, I am from North Canberra, my friend is from South Canberra. Are we great rivals now? There is NO rivalry between the two places. AS Mikey said, on some occasions it doesn't matter about population, but when you got a population as low as Canberra is does.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:20 am
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
aleague4canberra wrote:

What the hell has that got do with anything? Okay, I am from North Canberra, my friend is from South Canberra. Are we great rivals now? There is NO rivalry between the two places. AS Mikey said, on some occasions it doesn't matter about population, but when you got a population as low as Canberra is does.

there IS a rivalry between north and south canberra.

the population thing again, once again i'm not talking now, i'm talking 30-40 years down the track, when canberra has a population of around 900K, that's not small by any means, add onto that queanbeyan which'll have a bigger population too and population isn't the issue.

besides, and i'll say it once again, it's not how many the population, but how many in the population associate themselves with the club.

would someone disagree with the statement that they'd associate themself less with a north/sout canberra team then a canberra team.
Joey47
Joey47

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:23 am
aleague4canberra wrote:
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
aleague4canberra wrote:

there IS a rivalry between north and south canberra.

the population thing again, once again i'm not talking now, i'm talking 30-40 years down the track, when canberra has a population of around 900K, that's not small by any means, add onto that queanbeyan which'll have a bigger population too and population isn't the issue.

besides, and i'll say it once again, it's not how many the population, but how many in the population associate themselves with the club.

would someone disagree with the statement that they'd associate themself less with a north/sout canberra team then a canberra team.

Are you saying that Canberra will grow by 20K, as Mickey pointed out? You're having a laugh if you think that.
Joey47
Joey47

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:31 am
aleague4canberra wrote:besides, and i'll say it once again, it's not how many the population, but how many in the population associate themselves with the club.

We only got 12,000 pledges of support and 1,000 of those came interstate. The bottom line is we won't get those people from Goulburn, Cooma, and the South Coast coming to our games. Pledges of Support only means they will go for the team, not go to the matches.
If we can only get 12K, what do you reckon North and South will get?

Also, Please tell me WHAT RIVALRY is there? Besides South and North. Rivalries do have historical background.

I don't think many people would agree with you on this debate, which has shown on this thread.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:49 am
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:We only got 12,000 pledges of support and 1,000 of those came interstate. The bottom line is we won't get those people from Goulburn, Cooma, and the South Coast coming to our games. Pledges of Support only means they will go for the team, not go to the matches.
If we can only get 12K, what do you reckon North and South will get?

...NOW!!! I'm talking when football is up there with AFL in this country, you know after the socceroos are firmly in the top 10 and we've hosted the world cup, AFTER the whole next stage of the revolution!!

Proud2BeCanberran wrote:Also, Please tell me WHAT RIVALRY is there? Besides South and North. Rivalries do have historical background.

read this article and the comments: http://the-riotact.com/?p=12518

this would work the same as the rivalry between two tasmania teams would.

Proud2BeCanberran wrote:I don't think many people would agree with you on this debate, which has shown on this thread.

i don't mind if nobody agrees with me, this is my opinion and i'm putting my argument forward, if you like it good, if you don't, well that's your opinion.
Raider_United
Raider_United

Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:04 am
AS you said earlier "how can you predict...". How can you predict football will be more popular than AFL, how can you predict we will be in the top ten? 30 years isn't that long. 2 teams in a little destination just isn't right.

aleague4canberra wrote:this would work the same as the rivalry between two tasmania teams would.

*facepalm*

Do you know why South Tasmania and North Tasmania are rivals? It is because North is the Launceston area and South is Hobart. You can't say the same for Belconnen and Woden. lol

This Northside, Southside of Canberra rivalry is just a friendly rivalry. No one hates eachother- it is just a bit of a laugh. A real hate-hate rivalry is Millwall-West Ham.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:16 pm
[quote="Raider_United"]AS you said earlier "how can you predict...". How can you predict football will be more popular than AFL, how can you predict we will be in the top ten? 30 years isn't that long. 2 teams in a little destination just isn't right.[quote/]

this is all hypothetical, it's an if situation, if canberra's population rises at the same rate it has, if the socceroos get in the top 10, if we host a world cup, if canberra becomes football heartland. what i'm saying is that if this happens can canberra support 2 teams?

Raider_United wrote:Do you know why South Tasmania and North Tasmania are rivals? It is because North is the Launceston area and South is Hobart. You can't say the same for Belconnen and Woden. lol

This Northside, Southside of Canberra rivalry is just a friendly rivalry. No one hates eachother- it is just a bit of a laugh. A real hate-hate rivalry is Millwall-West Ham.

ok i take back my comments about tassie, fair enough, it was a bad call.

But about the rivalry, yes it's just a friendly rivalry, (i wouldn't want it to be a hatred of each other). IMO a team for each side would definately add spark to the existing rivalry even if it is just a friendly one. on the field it wouldn't be friendly.
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:37 pm
aleague4canberra, you don't judge canberra's future growth popualtion based on the previous percentage. If you want to look at it, you look at by how many thousand's our population improved on. eg. 140K >>>> 350K. So we should be look at a population probably just over 560K. Maybe around 600K
Toby
Toby

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:35 pm
[quote="aleague4canberra"]
Raider_United wrote:AS you said earlier "how can you predict...". How can you predict football will be more popular than AFL, how can you predict we will be in the top ten? 30 years isn't that long. 2 teams in a little destination just isn't right.[quote/]

this is all hypothetical, it's an if situation, if canberra's population rises at the same rate it has, if the socceroos get in the top 10, if we host a world cup, if canberra becomes football heartland. what i'm saying is that if this happens can canberra support 2 teams?

Raider_United wrote:Do you know why South Tasmania and North Tasmania are rivals? It is because North is the Launceston area and South is Hobart. You can't say the same for Belconnen and Woden. lol

But about the rivalry, yes it's just a friendly rivalry, (i wouldn't want it to be a hatred of each other). IMO a team for each side would definately add spark to the existing rivalry even if it is just a friendly one. on the field it wouldn't be friendly.

look I think the grounds for the creation of a rivalry are there however Canberra can't support two teams and I maintain this stance that we are better under one club
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:53 pm
^^

well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it but i'd (and have) argue otherwise

RealCanberra23 wrote:aleague4canberra, you don't judge canberra's future growth popualtion based on the previous percentage. If you want to look at it, you look at by how many thousand's our population improved on. eg. 140K >>>> 350K. So we should be look at a population probably just over 560K. Maybe around 600K

yeah alright fair enough.
Joey47
Joey47

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:52 am
[quote="Toby"]
aleague4canberra wrote:
Raider_United wrote:AS you said earlier "how can you predict...". How can you predict football will be more popular than AFL, how can you predict we will be in the top ten? 30 years isn't that long. 2 teams in a little destination just isn't right.[quote/]

look I think the grounds for the creation of a rivalry are there however Canberra can't support two teams and I maintain this stance that we are better under one club

Hear Hear. Canberra football will remain stronger under one club as will football in Australia.
TheBigMan
TheBigMan
Other football teams : Millwall, Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus

Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:26 pm
no way in the world
Golden_CU
Golden_CU
Other football teams : Bradford City

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:38 pm
Sorry. I have to dig this up from ages ago, because this is a nomination for dumbest topic.

Are you kidding? No joke, I have never heard of this North and South rivalry bar a few rugby and rugby league tug of war. Everywhere has got a north and south.

"Oh, Lets have a South Alice Springs and a North Alice Springs... it will create a massive rivalry."

Man, lets get one team before we come up with stupid topics like this.

You say the crowds for the rivalry would be great.... OK, but what about all the other games they play?

Sorry mate, but this is DUMB!!!
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:03 pm
Okay, look, if we had two teams when football is really popular, with two teams we'd get 8K to each game in Canberra while Melbourne would get 40,000. If we just had one team we could unite and have a big crowd (20,000) and a great atmosphere!
Joey47
Joey47

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:22 pm
^^^^

Agreed Alex. I'd prefer to have one team with massive on-goign support, stadium, money and crowds rather than getting pitiful 5K crowds every week.
Golden_CU
Golden_CU
Other football teams : Bradford City

Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:46 pm
Seems like it came a little while before 30 years. lol
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Hey, look - pie!
Straight from the oven of humility!

Mmmm so tasty. lol
spathi
spathi
Other football teams : Liverpool, Barcelona

Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:19 pm
This has to be the most unrealistic topic posted here, i dont even know where to start and where to finish on the topic its just too imbosylic.

Hang on having a second thought, what about an east and west team aswell lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum