Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Lazaridis: A-League cannot afford rapid expansion Empty Lazaridis: A-League cannot afford rapid expansion

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:15 am
Lazaridis: A-League cannot afford rapid expansion
Stan Lazaridis

October 10, 2009 06:30pm
MUCH has been written and said in the past couple of weeks about the impending inclusion of two new teams in the A-League.

Expansion is an exciting prospect, but an air of concern and skepticism surrounds the move and how it will effect the competition.

There's a financial issue that new clubs must address - not only in the first year, but for the duration of their five-year licence.

The FFA is stringent on this and demands a $5million bond - $1million a year - to assure financial stability.

But despite this safeguard, the current economic situation has left only a handful of clubs turning over a profit.

Some teams, such as Clive Palmer's Gold Coast and Tony Sage's Perth, can sustain a loss and don't have to rely heavily on numbers through the gate, thanks to their owner's wealth.

But for the remaining sides, crowd numbers are crucial and many aren't drawing the numbers they need of about 10,000 to break even.

North Queensland Fury is losing about $50,000 a week. Its average home attendance is about 7300 and both major backer Mitch Burke and chief executive Dean Hassall have walked out.

In only its first season, the Fury highlights the difficulties any new franchise will face, including in west Sydney, which is next on the cards. The FFA must be wary not to make any premature decisions.

It appears the football body isn't preparing to compete with the AFL - as some would suspect - but is attempting to establish a market that will support both codes.

This tactic has already been employed on the Gold Coast and its results will become apparent when the AFL's new side is introduced in 2011.

But if the move fails, the FFA could find itself committed to a bad idea in west Sydney while standing on already shaky ground.

With the national body being forced to prop up already-established club Adelaide United and preparing to rescue Brisbane Roar, the A-League is showing signs of wavering.

These issues must be addressed for the sake of the competition before any further expansion takes place.

The FFA should be applauded for its vision, as should the Fury for bringing a player of Robbie Fowler's reputation and calibre to Australia.

But while a growth in the quality of football in Australia is always welcome, the timing must be right and the moves must not be hasty.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,26193413-5005408,00.html
Toby
Toby

Lazaridis: A-League cannot afford rapid expansion Empty Re: Lazaridis: A-League cannot afford rapid expansion

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:40 pm
I think thats quite obvious.. the A-league needs some help at the moment.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Lazaridis: A-League cannot afford rapid expansion Empty Re: Lazaridis: A-League cannot afford rapid expansion

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:35 pm
i know i really want a Canberra team in the A-L.. but as an A-L follower... they really need to slow things down.... get the publicity up..bring in the crowds....they are just to fussed about getting more teams and not the ones in the comp already
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:04 pm
Fair call but I guess at the end of the day did anyone think bringing regional teams like Gold Coast and Townsville in would push crowd averages up?? High ticket prices has also hurt Brisbane and Gold Coast badly (a lesson for all clubs there).

The reason I heard FFA wants 12 clubs is because the A-League may qualify to get an extra spot in the Asian Champions League.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:15 pm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i dont think that would be the only reason... i think they want it bigger to compete with the other leagues as the a-league was one of the smallest with 8 in 2005
theblueorder
theblueorder
Other football teams : Rangers FC

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:15 pm
The A-League would get alot more viewers if its on free to air tv but I can understand why the A-League wouldn't think its a sound investment.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:30 pm
theblueorder wrote:The A-League would get alot more viewers if its on free to air tv but I can understand why the A-League wouldn't think its a sound investment.

definantly... they should at least have the grand final and a game of the week on One HD or ABC
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:48 pm
Doesn't the fox sports licence with the a-league run out next year???
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:51 pm
Nah it's 2013. FFA should look to sell off Socceroos, A-League and ACL matches seperately.

I am sure Socceroo matches will be free to air in future and yeah maybe 1 x A-League match a week for starters
TheBigMan
TheBigMan
Other football teams : Millwall, Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus

Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:24 pm
pete wrote:Nah it's 2013. FFA should look to sell off Socceroos, A-League and ACL matches seperately.

I am sure Socceroo matches will be free to air in future and yeah maybe 1 x A-League match a week for starters

they should have all socceroos games FTA and maybe a game of the week for the A-League
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:40 pm
Football in Australia will NEVER match NRL and AFL in Australia, until there is AT LEAST 1 game per week on FTA, and all Socceroos matches are back on SBS.

Hope it changes in 2013.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum