A forum for Canberra United supporters to discuss all things football in Canberra

We want you to join the Capital Punishment army on the hill side of McKellar Park, at each and every Canberra United match.
The forum has undergone a revolution... so register and voice your opinion regarding everything football in Canberra.

Canberra Bid Revived, to Join Youth League

Joey47
    Ivan Slavich

Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio

Canberra Bid Revived, to Join Youth League

Post by Joey47 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Canberra To Join The NYL

EXCLUSIVE: Canberra’s A-League bid head Ivan Slavich says Canberra will join the National Youth League possibly as early as next season as the capital city’s push for the A-League continues.

Slavich says the FFA have asked them to form a NYL side and he says his bid will front it but it would primarily be funded by the ACT government and local football's governing body, Capital Football.

Canberra's NYL team will not replace the Canberra-based AIS but provide a second side from Canberra in the NYL.

The two teams would be considered very separate as the AIS squad consists of youngsters from across the country while the Canberra team would be primarily made up from locals.

"It represents an excellent stepping stone for the establishment of an A-League side in Canberra. I'd be pushing to have it included as soon as possible," Slavich told au.fourfourtwo.com today.

"I'd be leading it [the NYL side] and part and parcel of this is discussions about future elite football games in Canberra including the Socceroos and/or A-League games, although I feel the fans of Canberra would prefer to cheer a local team."

As for the more pressing issue of an A-League team in Canberra, Slavich was keen to keep the ball rolling and remains in close contact with FFA.

Slavich will meet the FFA in early December to thrash out details of an NYL team. Also on the agenda are future Socceroo and A-League games in the national capital.

"We need to know otherwise we'd need to refund people's money through their commitments and so forth," said Slavich. "But they're [FFA] still very much interested in an A-League team for Canberra.

"And we're still very much in contention for potentially a 13th licence or if there was a dropout. Just because we missed out on the 12th franchise licence doesn't mean that's it for our bid.

"But add our W-League and NYL teams and it really is the nucleus of an A-League presence in Canberra."

However the bid supremo is still scratching his head about poor A-League attendances at recent games at Canberra stadium.

Central Coast Mariners matched up with Adelaide United at Canberra Stadium in round 13 and it pulled 5437 fans. The round five clash between Central Coast and Perth Glory attracted a similar 5139.

By contrast, at the start of the year when Canberra was still hopeful of gaining an A-League licence, a healthy 20,032 came through the turnstiles for the Socceroos' 2011 Asian Cup qualifier with Kuwait.

Slavich added: "The thing I find fascinating is that we've got 18,000 registered players in the ACT and it's more than League, AFL and Union combined, yet we sort of struggle to get crowds to games.

"It perplexes me and I don't understand why more don't go. It's disappointing."

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/117103,canberra-to-join-the-nyl.aspx

Last edited by Proud2BeCanberran on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

pete
    Ned Zelic

Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Re: Canberra Bid Revived, to Join Youth League

Post by pete on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:59 pm

Good news!

Like I have said before I still would have like us to join the NSW Premier League rather than NYL but this is a step forward for us...
    Joey47
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Joey47 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Good to see Slavich still working as hard as ever to get this bid over the line, and the Canberra NYL team is just further re-assurance that the FFA want to expand into Canberra in a few years.

Excellent News!

Chris1822
    Ivan Slavich

Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Post by Chris1822 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:06 am

yes!!!!

this is the best news i've heard in a long time, captial punishment army will have to get behind this team shall we?

Just reading that article too it sounds like the FFA really want us to not drop the bid they're probably thinking well we can't give them a licence yet but lets sweeten the deal with a NYL team just to keep the ball rolling and IMO this is great.

at least now youngsters have somewhere to look to play to when they're older.

To get crowds up for this all the registered players in the ACT should get a free season pass just to boost attendances and awareness.

Foundation member #869
    efcmetro1878
    Carl Valeri

Post by efcmetro1878 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:37 am

Sounds great to me. As Schimch says, it means the players who play there now will move up when we get an A-League team. Also provides the best players in the ACT Premier League and the 16s and 18s teams around town something to aspire to and push themselves for.
    Golden_CU
    Ellie Brush

Other football teams : Bradford City

Post by Golden_CU on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:44 am

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Best news in a while. Doubt it would get as good support as the W-League, but would put us in good stead for when a senior team comes in nevertheless.
    Gate7
    Ned Zelic

Other football teams : Olympiakos

Post by Gate7 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:40 am

pete wrote:Good news!

Like I have said before I still would have like us to join the NSW Premier League rather than NYL but this is a step forward for us...

why? we have already got established clubs that can join the nsw premier league so why create a team from scratch to join. doesnt make sense
    Gate7
    Ned Zelic

Other football teams : Olympiakos

Post by Gate7 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:42 am

i say the ffa should push nsw to allow one or two or three of our act premier league clubs to join. im sure the belconnen united or canberra fc or even canberra olympic are keen for it
    Toby
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Toby on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:01 pm

This is a great first step to create the grounds for an a-league team..
    Chris1822
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Chris1822 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:01 am

will this get good crowds?

will you attend their games?

Foundation member #869
    TheBigMan
    Carl Valeri

Other football teams : Millwall, Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus

Post by TheBigMan on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:44 am

Thumbs Up

YESSSS!!!! the NYL isn't great but its better than having just the W-League

YOU BEAUTY!!! Thumbs Up
    spathi
    Ben Williams

Other football teams : Liverpool, Barcelona

Post by spathi on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:02 am

[quote="Proud2BeCanberran"]Canberra To Join The NYL

Slavich says the FFA have asked them to form a NYL side and he says his bid will front it but it would primarily be funded by the ACT government and local football's governing body, Capital Football.

If its going to be funded by ACT government is fine, but to be run by Capital Football this is going to be a joke because CF are a joke, unless they are replaced by people who have an idea about what they are doing.

Ivan wiil do everything in his power to make this a winner but he needs proper support from CF not BS. We will need a decent coach, e.g. Lino Fiorese, Milo Milovanovic, Zoran Glavinic (and good developemnt stratergies which CF dont have) to help make this team go places. The coaches mentioned above have these stratergies, if only CF wiil not stiffle them they will do well.

I for one will be attending these games not matter what CF does or doesn't do because i want an A-League team here in Canberra not just W-League team that Ms Ried seems to be only interested in.

N.S.W will never accept another team from Canberra because all they want to do take our best players for there own interest. I think we could probably have 2 decent teams from Canberra playing in the NSWPL but then again we need Capital football to get off there backside and do something about it, be pro-active for goodness sake.

To all out there who want an A-League team please support this NYL Team beacause they will be our A-League players. We might not win too many to start with but the experience will be invaluable. Pray Pray Pray
    Joey47
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Joey47 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:30 am

It is specailly exciting that we will see Canberra local players IMO. This will provide great pathways to an A-League team.

efcmetro1878
    Carl Valeri

Post by efcmetro1878 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:17 pm

Lino Fiorese is a brilliant coach, I had him at Juventus a few years back, he's got his head screwed on quite well.
    Zoran Glavinic has also definitely got the credentials to do the job, and happens to cook a decent steak.
    You know who else we should get - CHRIS TANZEY!!

I think this is our future right here. CF need to get this right, or we're out. This is the ultimate test.

Time to pray, lads.
    Joey47
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Joey47 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:21 pm

I read an article about Chris Tanzey a few weeks back. Basically it as a "where is he now?" article.

spathi
    Ben Williams

Post by spathi on Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:07 am

Proud2BeCanberran wrote:I read an article about Chris Tanzey a few weeks back. Basically it as a "where is he now?" article.

So where is he? I know where Zoran is I know where Lino is I know where Milo is, but little Chris is in hiding is he? Question Question lol
    Joey47
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Joey47 on Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:54 am

spathi wrote:
    Proud2BeCanberran wrote:I read an article about Chris Tanzey a few weeks back. Basically it as a "where is he now?" article.

So where is he? I know where Zoran is I know where Lino is I know where Milo is, but little Chris is in hiding is he? Question Question lol

He went back to England, I think, and had a son or grandson or something like that. He is now back in Canberra running junior football camps.

spathi
    Ben Williams

Post by spathi on Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:10 am

Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
    spathi wrote:

He went back to England, I think, and had a son or grandson or something like that. He is now back in Canberra running junior football camps.

Is he still having kids lol. Maybe a grandson i suspect. Havent heard of any of his camps lately. I know he was a Liverpool youth player buty i heard his camps leave alot to be desired. Maybe he should take a hands on approach to them. Thumbs Up
    Red-4-Life
    Ben Williams

Other football teams : Liverpool, Celtic, Panathinaikos

Post by Red-4-Life on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:23 pm

this move will help yous alot to have an A-League side in the next 3-4 seasons...as well as the AIS team of course. yous will get some good talent coming out of both teams which the eventual A-LEague side can pick up.
    Galileo
    Ellie Brush

Post by Galileo on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Red-4-Life wrote:this move will help yous alot to have an A-League side in the next 3-4 seasons...as well as the AIS team of course. yous will get some good talent coming out of both teams which the eventual A-LEague side can pick up.

Yea agreed. When this first got announced I didn't really look into it. Not really thinking it will have massive effects on the A-League team. But this will definitely provide a platform for a senior Canberra A-League team.
    Nonno Gomes
    Carl Valeri

Post by Nonno Gomes on Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:08 am

Chris Tanzey i saw him in those 'holiday happenings' guides running a summer football clinic

Ivan Slavich

Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Post by JohnLovesCanberraUnited on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:45 am

i doubt it revives our bid it is just a consloation prize
    United On The Gong
    Ned Zelic

Post by United On The Gong on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:59 am

So... this came to nothing I see.
    Chris1822
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Chris1822 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:11 am

Yeah I suppose it didn't, I don't know why though, why wouldn't the FFA allow it/slavich push for it???

Foundation member #869
    Toby
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Toby on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:53 am

Another dud for our bid.. maybe season after?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 pm