A forum for Canberra United supporters to discuss all things football in Canberra

We want you to join the Capital Punishment army on the hill side of McKellar Park, at each and every Canberra United match.
The forum has undergone a revolution... so register and voice your opinion regarding everything football in Canberra.

Lowy set to ditch Rovers!!

Chris1822
    Ivan Slavich

Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Lowy set to ditch Rovers!!

Post by Chris1822 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:59 am

Lowy Set To Ditch Rovers

Aidan Ormond
    Sep 13 2010 17:53

EXCLUSIVE: FFA Chairman Frank Lowy has given his strongest hint yet that A-League expansion club Sydney Rovers are doomed.

In an exclusive interview with FourFourTwo magazine Lowy said that, as of today, Rovers' start-up funds - said to be $5m - were not on the table and that time was just about up for Rovers and their A-League dream.

“We have to come to the end of this and we have to come to a decision. We have a short time frame where they will be either in or out,” Lowy said.

“We were confident in them at the beginning, but they must have had some problems otherwise the cash would be on the table already and it isn’t.”

Today Saatchi & Saatchi informed au.fourfourtwo.com that Rovers' head Ian Rowden – an executive chairman of the high profile advertising company – was in the US this week and wouldn’t be available for an interview till at least next week. .

It’s been a similar story over the last month with requests for updates and interviews politely passed up due to Rowden’s various overseas trips.

While it’s understandable someone in Rowden’s position travels frequently overseas, the lack of any media communication has rung alarm bells.

It’s known that Rovers were taken on faith by FFA when given the green light to launch their franchise. Now, it appears that dream is embarrassingly close to falling over.

Those bidders who failed to win the franchise rights for Rovers'12th expansion spot and the second in Sydney are said to be watching on closely as Rovers’ fate hangs in the balance.

Lowy added: “If they [Rovers] don’t find the money in that short space of time, then we need to look for other people.”

Foundation member #869
    Chris1822
    Ivan Slavich

Re: Lowy set to ditch Rovers!!

Post by Chris1822 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:00 am

This could be it and I got to say that i would gladly take the downfall of this bid to get a canberra team Razz

come on people the time is nigh

Foundation member #869
    JohnLovesCanberraUnited
    Ivan Slavich

Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Post by JohnLovesCanberraUnited on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:41 am

YESS!!!! the end of no canberra team is nigh!!! WOOHOOO!!
    Chris1822
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Chris1822 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:44 am

don't count your chickens before they hatch john, knowing the FFA they will pull another western sydney bid out of their arse and look canberra square in the face and say gotcha

Foundation member #869
    JohnLovesCanberraUnited
    Ivan Slavich

Post by JohnLovesCanberraUnited on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Western Sydney in doubt for A-League
    THE prospect of a western Sydney team joining the A-League next season is in doubt with Football Federation Australia confirming the club's backers have just one month left to raise the required capital.

Originally planned to be joining Melbourne Heart in an expanded 12-team competition this season, the FFA performed an about-face at the last moment by moving their entry date to the 2011-12 season.

However, FFA chief executive Ben Buckley told the Herald yesterday that the club's high-profile founders - including Saatchi & Saatchi executive chairman Ian Rowden and former Socceroo Charlie Yankos - were running out of time to find the money.

''I think it has to happen sometime soon. The transfer window opens in October, so it's got to be some time in the next month,'' he said. ''They're certainly not dead yet, and if it doesn't eventuate next season, our long-term vision is that we'll have a team in western Sydney in time.

''Would we be disappointed if it doesn't happen? Yes. Would we change our strategic intent? No. We'd just continue to work on it.''

Asked if he was ''confident'' there would be a western Sydney team in the competition next season, Buckley said: ''I'm confident that, over time, we'll have a western Sydney team. As [for next season], I'd say I'm hopeful.''

A year on from the announcement of the Rovers bid being given the nod, all that has emerged publicly has been a logo and colours.

Rovers representatives could not be contacted last night

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/western-sydney-in-doubt-for-aleague-20100913-159c4.html

Toby
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Toby on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:18 am

Seriously I dont know why it takes so long for anything administrative to happen in this league...
    Alex351
    Carl Valeri

Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Post by Alex351 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:40 am

Let's hope we get a team out of this. I reckon what will happen is a team for Western Sydney or a team for no-one for at least another 3-4 years.
    JohnLovesCanberraUnited
    Ivan Slavich

Post by JohnLovesCanberraUnited on Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:59 am

Schimch@capital hill wrote:don't count your chickens before they hatch john, knowing the FFA they will pull another western sydney bid out of their arse and look canberra square in the face and say gotcha

yeah by ditch rovers they mean... ditch rovers but either stay in WS or no team
    Alex351
    Carl Valeri

Post by Alex351 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:43 am

^^
    Exactly.. Doubt
    JohnLovesCanberraUnited
    Ivan Slavich

Post by JohnLovesCanberraUnited on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:09 am

FFA still committed to expansion

The A-League's planned expansion into western Sydney will go ahead despite the near-collapse of the Newcastle Jets.

The Jets were kept in existence on Wednesday when Football Federation Australia (FFA) withdrew the ownership licence of Con Constantine and handed over the club to Newcastle racing identity Nathan Tinkler.

But despite coming close to losing one of the competition's foundation members due to financial concerns and fresh doubts over the western Sydney bid backers' ability to raise funds ahead of the club's entry into the 2011-12 season, FFA chief executive Ben Buckley says there is no intention of scrapping the expansion plans.

"No, not at all," Buckley said.

"I've said, even in recent times, that we have a very strong strategic intent to have a team in western Sydney.

"We're committed to that course and we're committed to that process."

The Jets' woes are the latest in a line of financial problems to hit A-League clubs, with Adelaide United, Brisbane Roar and North Queensland Fury all seeking FFA assistance in recent times.

Gold Coast United have also been struggling with crowd numbers and it has been reported they could fold at the end of the season if owner Clive Palmer cuts his ties with the club.

Buckley concedes time is running out for the Sydney Rovers bid, the one given preference to be the newest A-League club next year, to provide the evidence they can be a financially stable outfit.

The consortium, headed by businessman Ian Rowden and former Socceroo Charlie Yankos, has been given until the end of the month to convince FFA they are capable of putting together a team.

"Of course we'll work with them to bring that about," Buckley said, before adding other options had been looked at, even possibly delaying the expansion for a further year if needed.

"Ultimately, as I said, we want to have a team in western Sydney.

"We've had discussions with other parties that will put forward some plans but I can't really comment whether they'll come to fruition or not until we've had more discussion.

"We need to have a finite date so the club can get up and established and running in time for the next season.

"We have to take a five-year view, a 10-year view, a 15-year-view that a team in western Sydney has to be successful and if that means we have to delay it, our intent is still to have a team there for all the reasons we've said before."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/23/3019439.htm?site=sport&section=all
    United On The Gong
    Ned Zelic

Post by United On The Gong on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:30 pm

Rumours have it that the FFA are looking at some other bids from the Western Sydney region.
    arinceo
    Ellie Brush

Post by arinceo on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:38 pm

It is quite obvious the FFA will take a look at the other WS bids first. However none of these bids are as developed as ours, we must have faith that even if the FFA do go with another WS bid, that we will be the next on the line for expansion. The A-League requires a second division before the AFC will give it four ACL spots, something the FFA covets dearly for the added revenue it will provide for clubs.
    Alex351
    Carl Valeri

Post by Alex351 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:37 pm

This is just becoming more and more frustrating. The FFA are in love with Western Sydney and they're not even going to consider our bid, they've probably forgotten that Canberra put in a bid. Rant
    cufc_cc
    Ellie Brush

Other football teams : Leeds Utd

Post by cufc_cc on Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:23 am

arinceo wrote:It is quite obvious the FFA will take a look at the other WS bids first. However none of these bids are as developed as ours, we must have faith that even if the FFA do go with another WS bid, that we will be the next on the line for expansion. The A-League requires a second division before the AFC will give it four ACL spots, something the FFA covets dearly for the added revenue it will provide for clubs.

The problem with a second division, is who is going to participate in it? Where is the finances for clubs going to come from? Will there be enough support? Will clubs be new franchises from around Australia? Will the be current State League clubs or former NSL clubs?
    arinceo
    Ellie Brush

Post by arinceo on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:01 am

At the present moment I'm thinking that while the FFA would like to have only new franchises in the A-League, established state league clubs will have to be given places in a second division. I'd suggest that the FFA plan for a second division to be introduced within the next six years, possibly with it being introduced straight after the 2015 Asian Cup [to be held in Australia unless some foul play occurs within the AFC; we're the only ones who bidded to host the event (Canberra is a possible host city btw)].

If I was the FFA, I'd set the introduction of A2 for that season (2015-16). Now assuming that the clubs require at least a year and a half of preparation, the clubs would be selected at the beginning of 2014, the year of the World Cup in Brazil. (We could introduce A2 in 2014 on the back of the world cup, but I feel the extra season would make a huge difference).

Now for the last lot of A-League licence bidding, there were a few key locations that bidded, but were ultimately unsuccessful:
    - Canberra
    - South Coast
    - Tasmania
    - Geelong

Now obviously their eligibilty would have to come under the microscope, but let's say that those teams were the successful ones in bidding. That gives four teams.

Next, I would suggest that the bottom two from the previous A-League season would be relegated to A2. This provides the division with a pair of established national fan-bases, and drawcard games for the new franchises. This brings us to six teams.

Finally, I would include either two or four sides from the state leagues. Now obviously there are a few problems with this, the main being the varied quality of the state leagues, and their quality in comparison to the A-League. Here is where the concept of a set introduction on A2 being announced early, lets say the end of this year. That gives state league clubs four and a half years to update their infrastructure before their debut A2 season, and 3 years to convince the FFA that they are up to the task of playing in A2.

During those three years, it is vital that we make proper calculations of the standard of our various state leagues. Interstate series would be the first step, possibly to be conducted by the top two of each league. The continued pre-season friendlies against A-League clubs would be a second avenue for this.

Nonna Gomes
    Ben Williams

Post by Nonna Gomes on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:27 am

arinceo wrote:At the present moment I'm thinking that while the FFA would like to have only new franchises in the A-League, established state league clubs will have to be given places in a second division. I'd suggest that the FFA plan for a second division to be introduced within the next six years, possibly with it being introduced straight after the 2015 Asian Cup [to be held in Australia unless some foul play occurs within the AFC; we're the only ones who bidded to host the event (Canberra is a possible host city btw)].

If I was the FFA, I'd set the introduction of A2 for that season (2015-16). Now assuming that the clubs require at least a year and a half of preparation, the clubs would be selected at the beginning of 2014, the year of the World Cup in Brazil. (We could introduce A2 in 2014 on the back of the world cup, but I feel the extra season would make a huge difference).

Now for the last lot of A-League licence bidding, there were a few key locations that bidded, but were ultimately unsuccessful:
    - Canberra
    - South Coast
    - Tasmania
    - Geelong

Now obviously their eligibilty would have to come under the microscope, but let's say that those teams were the successful ones in bidding. That gives four teams.

Next, I would suggest that the bottom two from the previous A-League season would be relegated to A2. This provides the division with a pair of established national fan-bases, and drawcard games for the new franchises. This brings us to six teams.

Finally, I would include either two or four sides from the state leagues. Now obviously there are a few problems with this, the main being the varied quality of the state leagues, and their quality in comparison to the A-League. Here is where the concept of a set introduction on A2 being announced early, lets say the end of this year. That gives state league clubs four and a half years to update their infrastructure before their debut A2 season, and 3 years to convince the FFA that they are up to the task of playing in A2.

During those three years, it is vital that we make proper calculations of the standard of our various state leagues. Interstate series would be the first step, possibly to be conducted by the top two of each league. The continued pre-season friendlies against A-League clubs would be a second avenue for this.

Hmmm

Personally, I don't think Australia will, for another, 10 or so years, be ready for a promotion-relegation system between the A-League and the A2-League. The FFA are very much committed to establishing solid fan bases within the current club, and establishing secure administration. Relegating this team down a division would most likely see the supporter base diminish, sponsors jump off board, and a lack of playing quality.
    Also, there is a reason as to why these A2-League clubs will be playing in the second division, and that is because they don't have proven support, otherwise they'd be in the A-League from the beginning or entering in the not so distant future. Yes, they may have a good solid few thousand as the core support, but nothing that will make it viable in the top division.
    arinceo
    Ellie Brush

Post by arinceo on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:28 am

Fair points there mate. Promotion and relegation is a criteria provided by the AFC in order for an increased number of ACL places, so I guessed that maybe the FFA would like to satisfy both criteria (second division and promotion/relgation) in one go.

Perhaps I may be a little too optimistic about the strength of the A-League fan bases, however I have my fingers crossed that our bid to hoost the 2022 World Cup is successful. This success will hopefully cement some more interest in the domestic competition.

So perhaps the FFA would create a second division independant of the A-League, consisting of just eight teams for its foundation season; with a view to slowly build their quality before finally merging with the A-League into a promotion-relegation system after 4-5 seasons. That way the integrity of the A-League isn't put on the line by potentially unstable franchises. 4-5 seasons of operating on a national level could grow these club's fanbases to the point they would challenge those of A-League clubs.

However problems exist there. Without the incentive of promotion, the second division could quickly stagnate and financially cripple the clubs; something which we cannot afford to happen to the image of our sport in Australia.

I'm brimming with concerns at present, but I feel like I'd be arguing with myself if I started on them here, so I think I'll leave it there lol

Nonna Gomes
    Ben Williams

Post by Nonna Gomes on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:58 am

arinceo wrote:Fair points there mate. Promotion and relegation is a criteria provided by the AFC in order for an increased number of ACL places, so I guessed that maybe the FFA would like to satisfy both criteria (second division and promotion/relgation) in one go.

Perhaps I may be a little too optimistic about the strength of the A-League fan bases, however I have my fingers crossed that our bid to hoost the 2022 World Cup is successful. This success will hopefully cement some more interest in the domestic competition.

So perhaps the FFA would create a second division independant of the A-League, consisting of just eight teams for its foundation season; with a view to slowly build their quality before finally merging with the A-League into a promotion-relegation system after 4-5 seasons. That way the integrity of the A-League isn't put on the line by potentially unstable franchises. 4-5 seasons of operating on a national level could grow these club's fanbases to the point they would challenge those of A-League clubs.

However problems exist there. Without the incentive of promotion, the second division could quickly stagnate and financially cripple the clubs; something which we cannot afford to happen to the image of our sport in Australia.

I'm brimming with concerns at present, but I feel like I'd be arguing with myself if I started on them here, so I think I'll leave it there lol

That is 100% correct, and I agree with everything you have said there.

Sometime down the track, the FFA will have to make one big risk... it may actually be a case of '1 step forward and 2 steps back' for a fair while. That is my genuine concern for the A2-League.... without a promotion/relegation system, there will be a lack of competition, as it'd seem the teams are not playing for anything, just simply another competition. However, if promotion-relegation is introduced, then the FFA are possibly putting clubs such as Gold Coast, NQF and CCM's sustainability in jeopardy.

Time will tell as to what the FFA will do.
    arinceo
    Ellie Brush

Post by arinceo on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:18 am

Yes well the FFA has been largely conservative up to this point. Hopefully this World Cup bid will give them the confidence to be more adventurous in terms of the game's development. I'm not saying that we'll get the World Cup, even a failed bid will encourage officials to strengthen the local game further (for obviously another bid). We need to get proactive and create a long term plan like the Japanese have done.
    Toby
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Toby on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:17 am

I think you guys are stepping ahead of yourselves. The ultimate ambition to hold an A2-league is correct and should be achieved, but not for a while. As for the teams in it, hopefully locations that aren't already represented will be able to join including possibly an islander and PNG team. Now for what you guys are talking about (ie the financial stability of the A2-league and promotion/relegation) I think you are looking at it from the wrong point of view. I believe the introduction of the FFA Cup will firstly re-establish the NSL clubs and also prove their credibility/financial strength. If this is successful over a certain number of years only then do you contemplate the creation of the A2-league.
    stevieg84lfc
    Ellie Brush

Other football teams : Liverpool, Liverpool Reserves, Liverpool Under 18's

Post by stevieg84lfc on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:33 am

why would you have a new Sydney team when they can hardly pull 6000 people to home games for Sydney FC
    Chris1822
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Chris1822 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:42 am

stevieg84lfc wrote:why would you have a new Sydney team when they can hardly pull 6000 people to home games for Sydney FC

Because Sydney FC doesn't represent all of Sydney, it is seen to be a pre-dominantly city and eastern suburbs team

Rovers will represent western sydney

You have to either live in sydney or be told this by someone who lives in sydney to understand

Foundation member #869
    Toby
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Toby on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:50 pm

Chris1822 wrote:
    stevieg84lfc wrote:why would you have a new Sydney team when they can hardly pull 6000 people to home games for Sydney FC

Because Sydney FC doesn't represent all of Sydney, it is seen to be a pre-dominantly city and eastern suburbs team

Rovers will represent western sydney

You have to either live in sydney or be told this by someone who lives in sydney to understand

Agree. Unlike the Melbourne games which are located in the same stadium the second Sydney team will be located in a separate geographical location thereby gaining the support of Western Sydney.
    United On The Gong
    Ned Zelic

Post by United On The Gong on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:51 am

On top of the the point that Western Sydney is a total different geographical region to the Eastern Suburbs, where Sydney FC is based, is the fact the the Sydney Rovers are going to pull much bigger crowds than FC. Western Sydney is considered the heartland of football in Australia. Only Canberra has a higher rate per capita of junior football participation in a large population area.

Also, Sydney fans are extremely fickle. FC have the potential to get 20,000 week-in-week-out, like what was seen in 2005. Really goes to show what type of crowd the Rovers could pull.
    stevieg84lfc
    Ellie Brush

Other football teams : Liverpool, Liverpool Reserves, Liverpool Under 18's

Post by stevieg84lfc on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:56 pm

Although Melbourne having two teams works because it has a strong sporting culture where as Sydney's is not as strong. I understand what you say about Western Sydney being the heartland of football but it would be smart to move into there with GWS in the AFL about to join in 2012, but i dont think people would jump on the bandwagon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:21 pm