A forum for Canberra United supporters to discuss all things football in Canberra

We want you to join the Capital Punishment army on the hill side of McKellar Park, at each and every Canberra United match.
The forum has undergone a revolution... so register and voice your opinion regarding everything football in Canberra.

LATEST: FFA set to confirm Sydney Rovers exit

Joey47
    Ivan Slavich

Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio

LATEST: FFA set to confirm Sydney Rovers exit

Post by Joey47 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:17 am

All Over Sydney Rovers?

It’ll be a frantic long weekend for Ian Rowden’s Sydney Rovers franchise which is staring down the barrel of an embarrassing exit from the A-League before even kicking a ball.

A September deadline to stump up the $5m start up money has passed and it appears the bid’s fate will be decided at an FFA board meeting next week.

Unless Rowden can pull a financial rabbit out of the hat over the next few days it looks to be all over for the Rovers.

Rowden’s representatives did not return interview requests today from au.fourfourtwo.com However FFA CEO Ben Buckley has stated his continued intent to have a team in western Sydney at some point.

But with the clock ticking on next season it would seem more than likely that the current 11-team format will remain and that an alternative West Sydney bidder will be given the go-ahead for 2012.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/184698,all-over-sydney-rovers.aspx

Chris1822
    Ivan Slavich

Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Re: LATEST: FFA set to confirm Sydney Rovers exit

Post by Chris1822 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:26 am

Really doesn't mean that much for us IMO, the FFA will simply find another bid soon from WS and go with that the following year.

I still pray though that the FFA recognise our bid though and backflip and say that Canberra are going to now be given exclusive negotiating rights for the 2012-13 season. I am dreaming though I know

Foundation member #869
    Alex351
    Carl Valeri

Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Post by Alex351 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:55 pm

Chris1822 wrote:Really doesn't mean that much for us IMO, the FFA will simply find another bid soon from WS and go with that the following year.

I still pray though that the FFA recognise our bid though and backflip and say that Canberra are going to now be given exclusive negotiating rights for the 2012-13 season. I am dreaming though I know

I agree.

This isn't a very good outcome for us because the FFA will still want a team in Western Sydney and this will push the entry date for a Canberra team further away Thumbs Down
    efcmetro1878
    Carl Valeri

Post by efcmetro1878 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:38 pm

2013 would be brilliant for us to come in. 100th birthday... nice.
    Toby
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Toby on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:50 am

Yeah WS will always get in before us so the sooner they are in the sooner the FFA can think about us! clap

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:16 pm