A forum for Canberra United supporters to discuss all things football in Canberra

We want you to join the Capital Punishment army on the hill side of McKellar Park, at each and every Canberra United match.
The forum has undergone a revolution... so register and voice your opinion regarding everything football in Canberra.

Canberra the preferred option for the 12th expansion spot

Joey47
    Ivan Slavich

Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio

Canberra the preferred option for the 12th expansion spot

Post by Joey47 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:44 am

Within the general public.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/

Scroll down the page, to view the poll.

Interesting...

Joey47
    Ivan Slavich

Re: Canberra the preferred option for the 12th expansion spot

Post by Joey47 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:48 am

Personally I want to see Canberra in next of course. However, it will be Western Sydney. And they obviously deserve a team... but the question is when?

After these two, which brings the league to 13, IMO, Christchurch deserves a crack. We have seen the excitement the Wellington Phoenix generate there, so it'd be interesting to see how that would go. Success would be my prediction.

I am not so sure on Tasmania and the South Coast... they'd be very hard markets to crack. Kind of like North QLD.

Chris1822
    Ivan Slavich

Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Post by Chris1822 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:20 am

got my hopes up that the FFA said that cmon

Foundation member #869
    Alex351
    Carl Valeri

Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Post by Alex351 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:37 am

While I REALLY want a Canberra team in the a-league, the benefits of a WS team is pretty good. The Sydney derby should put bums on seats and create a greater interest in the sport. However Canberra DESERVES a team but unfortunately, unless there are some leadership changes in the FFA i can't see the FFA considering any other bids apart from WS.
    theblueorder
    Ned Zelic

Other football teams : Rangers FC

Post by theblueorder on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:25 pm

The bogans of Western Sydney don't give a stuff about football.
    Joey47
    Ivan Slavich

Post by Joey47 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:21 am

theblueorder wrote:The bogans of Western Sydney don't give a stuff about football.

That's where you are wrong. Western Sydney are crying out for a football side, however, the stumbling block is that lack of suitable investors. Western Sydney should've had a team since the beginning of the A-League. The area is considered the "football heartland" of Australia. It is home to the likes of Tim Cahill, Lucas Neill, Brett Emerton, Harry Kewell and Mark Schwarzer.

They deserve a side, the public wants a side. Canberra should've been accepted in the A-league for next season. There is no doubt that it had accrued the strongest bid, however the FFA desperately wanted a team in Western Sydney. I am sure if they had known that the Rovers wouldn't have come up with the money come December 2010, then they would've explored the possibility of having a team in Canberra come season 2011/12.

thom_canberra
    Carl Valeri

Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Post by thom_canberra on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:51 am

^^ Well it doesn't look like they are exploring the possibility of a Canberra team now that Syd Rovers has failed...

Come on guys your all talking as if Western Sydney should be in before Canberra?

This is after multiple failed bids from W.Sydney and a complete snub of Canberra from the FFA-

If this isn't the right time for us to be granted the 12th A-League license I don't know when will be into the future.

If western Sydney is such a good market bla bla bla and has such a wonderful bid and so many investors- they would have had a team by now-

Canberra has been ignored by the FFA for far too long and they are acting like Sydney is the only possible place for expansion- like Canberra, Tasmania and Wollongong don't even exist, or weren't ever in the race for an A-League club.

I'm sick of the way Canberra has been ignored in this process and how we had the best bid, our bid got overlooked for another last minute bid that eventually failed and now the FFA still won't engage with the Canberra community for the next A-League club

It is obvoius Sydney won't have a decent bid for a while yet so are the FFA just going to wait endlessly until they are ready?
    thom_canberra
    Carl Valeri

Post by thom_canberra on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:56 am

thom_canberra
    Carl Valeri

Post by thom_canberra on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:05 am

Also, we can see from this SBS poll that the majority of the football-public want a team from the National Capital before western Sydney...

I heard the SBS TWG crew on Monday night mouthing off the fact that Canberra had more votes than their beloved W. Sydney- I think Francis A said It musn't have been a big pole-

This stuff really annoys me when you have the wider public accepting that Canberra should get in before the crowded western Sydney market and these public figures are just acting like selfish children-

If western Sydney had the best bid, they would have got in, but Canberra has the best bid and they deserve a team just as much as western Sydney. Sydney isn't the centre of the world like the World Game crew make it out to be...

The pole is back open and we now have -887 votes- majority more than W. Sydney so get to the SBS TWG site and vote for Canberra!

Alex351
    Carl Valeri

Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Post by Alex351 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:52 am

Thom_Canberra, I liked your post on "the Roar". I think you summed up the situation well. Some of those comments made by other people against Canberra are absolutely ridiculous. As if Wollongong or Tasmania would have a bigger fan base than Canberra!
    JohnLovesCanberraUnited
    Ivan Slavich

Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Post by JohnLovesCanberraUnited on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:35 pm

one thing... the poll expired in 2030 Confused

back to the topic, i disagree with you thom_canberra, sure some of them may be bogans but i do think that they need an a-league team,
    of course i want a canberra team and i would expect to see a wollongong team and a tasmanian team

but personally, im a big supporter of new zealand teams in the a-league and i would like to see 3 NZ teams in the league. im pleased that wellington phoenix have been a success and i would like to see them make finals this year. i think christchurch and auckland arem two cities that must have a-league teams in the future.

Christchurch has held games before and got great crowds of 19,276 in Jan. 2010 and got 14,108 in Dec. 2010 with wellington as the home team! so i think theyve proven that they could get great crowd averages if they had their own team as well as having great facilities like AMI Stadium, which has a capacity of 38,000!

I know that Auckland had the New Zealand Knights in the early seasons of the a-league and i'd like to see them bring back the knights! just a quick history of the knights is they started in the NSL as the Football Kingz and for their first couple of seasons were getting good crowds and good results because of a NZ soccer legend in Wynton Rufer (Oceania Player of the Century) as player-coach among other positives. But then the management screwed it up by letting Rufer go as coach and since then the team did badly with results and crowds. So, i think they just need the right people behind it because theyve got the facilities and i think they need a second chance. They just need the management and players to prove it!
    s
    Chris1822
    Ivan Slavich

Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Post by Chris1822 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:16 am

JohnLovesCanberraUnited wrote:
    I know that Auckland had the New Zealand Knights in the early seasons of the a-league and i'd like to see them bring back the knights!

lol lol

mate you've lost the plot

Foundation member #869
    TheBigMan
    Carl Valeri

Other football teams : Millwall, Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus

Post by TheBigMan on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:07 pm

^^^

john has a valid point but the ffa arent going to let the Knights back in though, canberra, WS, the gong and tassie are musts

xiong

Post by xiong on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:06 am

does canberra has at least 10,000 members/supporters/fans for the club who will show up for the games throughout the season?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:22 pm