Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

This is where we might come into play... Empty This is where we might come into play...

Sat May 23, 2009 8:29 am
FFA set to look into second-tier comp

"OLD soccer" may finally be embraced by "new football" after Football Federation Australia this week set up a task force to investigate the viability of establishing a national second-tier competition within two years.

In a move which will thrill state league clubs around the country - many of them survivors from the old NSL- the governing body is ready to engage second-tier football for the first time since the A-League was established in 2005. A national second division, and the less likely possibility of promotion and relegation, are among the key issues to be discussed.

Former FFA chief executive John O'Neill famously coined the catchphrase "old soccer versus new football" when describing the future direction of the game - a description which caused huge resentment in the game's ethnic heartlands.

But since Ben Buckley replaced O'Neill in late 2006, the FFA has gradually worked at repairing those broken relationships, and this week's move to re-engage the various state leagues represents a huge, symbolic, breakthrough.

An eight-man task force - including state federation and state league representatives as well as the new head of the A-League, Archie Fraser - has been established to investigate second-tier football, and where it can fit into the development pathway. Despite being marginalised, state league clubs have continued to develop talent for the A-League, although the transfer cap of just $3,000 has been one of many sources of discontent.

Key issues to be investigated by the task force include:

* The viability of an interstate competition (national second division)

* The relationship between the state leagues and the A-League (promotion and relegation)

* The relevance of the state leagues to the player development pathway and the various state institutes and the AIS

* The future timing of state league seasons, in particular the effects of switching to summer

* Introducing a licensing system for state league clubs

* Transfer and loan regulations between state league clubs and the A-League clubs.

A key motivation behind the FFA's renewed interest in the future of second-tier football is the desire to gain more berths in the Asian Champions League. Currently, Australia has just two ACL spots per season, but the FFA hopes to earn extra places when the entry requirements are reviewed in 2012. Two of the requirements the FFA has failed to meet in the past are the existence of a national Cup competition, and a second-tier league with a system of promotion/relegation.

While the latter seems unlikely for the foreseeable future - even if a national second division is established - an FFA Cup has already been approved in principle by the FFA, which is now trying to sell the competition to sponsors and broadcasters.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/a-league/ffa-set-to-look-into-secondtier-comp--a-hrefhttpsmhcomaunewssportfootballjohnnywillbewatchinguntilhisworkisdone200905221242498921120htmlbmichael-cockerillba/2009/05/22/1242498921133.html?page=2
Raider_United
Raider_United

This is where we might come into play... Empty Re: This is where we might come into play...

Sat May 23, 2009 9:24 am
I'm not sure if this is the greatest idea TBH.

As they said some of the teams from the old NSL. Ethnic clubs that means?

please no!
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

This is where we might come into play... Empty Re: This is where we might come into play...

Sat May 23, 2009 11:26 am
this wouldn't be good at all for us.

no promotion/relegation? what's the point then?
Toby
Toby

Sat May 23, 2009 12:04 pm
Umm well apparently one of the big problems with our world cup bid is precisely because we don't have a promotion and relegation system. I am all for it but im not sure if its financially viable to have so many teams.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sat May 23, 2009 1:54 pm
how could our world cup bid have anything to do with this?
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Sat May 23, 2009 9:10 pm
I'm not sure if this is the greatest idea TBH.

As they said some of the teams from the old NSL. Ethnic clubs that means?

I agree, i think if there is a second tier competition it should be of specifically approved clubs that meet the requirements of the FFA, such would be no ethnic ties, or of new clubs, and this would take a while.

But it is a good idea for the future, I cant see how an FFA Cup would work with such fewer teams in the A-League
arinceo
arinceo

Sun May 24, 2009 1:32 pm
Any FFA Cup would have to have state league teams included. On another part of these forums I have put forward my idea about the FFA Cup.

Link

However I think that a second division comprising of the best state league clubs would be fantastic, but the possible ethnic tensions would definitely need to be considered.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon May 25, 2009 1:46 pm
i see no reason why we would have a second division if there was no link between the two leagues ie promotion/relegation.

we could even do what they do in the k-league where the winner of the k2-league is eligible for promotion if it attains to certain criteria set out by the korean football governing body. ie canberra wins a2-league then if canberra is deemed viable in the top tier they get promoted
the head
the head
Location : Duffy. That's where I live mofo. Where I do my thing.

Wed May 27, 2009 4:01 pm
A second tier scares the s**t out of me. Maybe after we have had a 14 team competition running for a 5 years..... maybe.
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Fri May 29, 2009 3:05 pm
I think that an FFA Cup with state premier league teams would be a good idea then, but,

I probably dont think they should get the chance to be promoted into the A-League...

Maybe after we have had a 14 team competition running for a 5 years..... maybe.

yes maybe after this, it could make more sense-
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Fri May 29, 2009 3:14 pm
"A stand-alone second division that operates along similar lines to Bitains Rugby-League promotion/relegation system. Clubs who win the second tier championship are eligible for promotion as long as they meet strident criteria. No relegation from the A-League however, and new franchises are still encouraged to apply for the top flight from elsewhere.
Strengths: current A-League clubs protected. Potential resolution of AFC issue.
Weaknesses: potential conflict if new franchises get the nod over clubs who win titles on the field."

Here is one of the ideas in a fox sports article, this one I particularly like,
link: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25540357-5000940,00.html

I dont think there should be relegation from the A-League for at least 5 or 10 years if not ever.

This B-League could be a great idea for another level of professional football teams and would give the state premier league teams the respect and semi-professional status they deserve.
Toby
Toby

Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:26 pm
Having the relegation zone isn't really viable unless the B comp is a really small comp of the best State League teams (finances, spectators and history)of say 8 teams (like the current A-League) If other state league teams meet the standard then they could be promoted into the B-League later on.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:35 am
the teams in it IMO should be a mix between the rejected proposals for a-league teams ie south coast, tasmania... and the richest state league clubs.

as for promotion, only if the clubs meet certain criteria.

IMO that this A2-league is a great way for new franchises to ease their way into the a-league.
Toby
Toby

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:01 pm
your quite right.. I think it is plausible to run although teams that get relegated may face financial problems and spectator problems but still I think crowds will be loyal to their clubs.. for new clubs joining it would be perfect for them to join the b-league before the a-league..
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum