Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Sydney Rovers given one week to find funding...enter canberra Empty Sydney Rovers given one week to find funding...enter canberra

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:30 pm
Sydney Rovers given week to stump up

Ray Gatt From: The Australian September 10, 2010

A-LEAGUE club-in-waiting Sydney Rovers has been given until next week to "show us the money".
If it fails it will have its licence to play in next season's competition revoked.

In what is looming as yet another seriously embarrassing situation for Football Federation Australia, the head body is understood to have issued the ultimatum after running out of patience with the western Sydney consortium.

The latest controversy could not come at a worse time for the FFA, which is already under fire over the declining state, on and off the field, of the A-League. Crowds have fallen alarmingly over the past two seasons and there are concerns over the financial viability of a number of clubs.

The Rovers consortium, led by company executive Ian Rowden and former Socceroos Charlie Yankos and Peter Tredinnick, has been struggling to come up with the $5 million funding required to get the club off the ground. Rovers have released their playing strip and logo but still don't have a chief executive, ground arrangement or coach in place 12 months after they were granted the licence.

With a little less than 11 months before they are due to kick off, the situation has reached a critical stage.

Despite Rovers admitting they did not have the financial backing at the time, the FFA controversially awarded them the 12th spot for the 2011-12 season, allowing them to leapfrog bids from the Greater Western Sydney Football Group, a separate consortium supported by Socceroo captain Lucas Neill and bids from Canberra, the NSW South Coast and Tasmania.

The FFA's decision. described by chief executive Ben Buckley at the time as "a giant leap forward", caused rumblings of discontent among some fans and the other two bids from the area - the GWSFG and the Neill group.

The Rowden group had only been formed several months before being granted the licence, leading to questions about how the FFA could make a decision in such a short time with the knowledge the franchise lacked the necessary funding.

The Australian raised concerns about the haste in which it was done and the seeming lack of transparency, given the other franchises had all put in as much as 18 months' work to get their bids to the final stages.

Former A-League boss Archie Fraser, who left the FFA last year, acknowledged those concerns when he spoke out against the head body in a far-ranging interview with theworldgame website on Tuesday. He said he was convinced Rovers was "unlikely to see the light of day" as the hunt for potential investors continues to come up empty.

"I don't think you will see them next season because the backing just isn't there at the moment," Fraser said. "There were other more deserving causes for an A-League licence."

A spokesman for the GWSFG said yesterday the consortium still had its model in place and "we still have the universal support of associations from all over western Sydney".

Rowden, who is executive chairman of advertising company Saatchi & Saatchi, said at the time of winning the bid that his group was not concerned about the financial aspects as it was in discussions with potential investors.

Rovers officials did not return calls from The Australian yesterday.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/sydney-rovers-given-week-to-stump-up/story-e6frg7mf-1225916751966
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sydney Rovers given one week to find funding...enter canberra Empty Re: Sydney Rovers given one week to find funding...enter canberra

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:31 pm
Surely now this is our best opportunity to get in, get on the phone mr. slavich talk our way into the comp Razz
(::FAQ::)
(::FAQ::)

Sydney Rovers given one week to find funding...enter canberra Empty Re: Sydney Rovers given one week to find funding...enter canberra

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:34 pm
lol

I think the odds of Canberra entering the league at the expense of Sydney Rovers are slim to none. By all reports we don't have all the money... why would we then go in for them? It is just too short of time for us to enter next year.

We will enter the league in 2014 IMO.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:48 pm
^^
i disagree that's it's too short a time, we even without a licence are still well ahead of the rovers on all fronts so I don't see why it couldn't be done.

if the bid came out and rallied local businesses with a two week deadline to get funds for a team to enter could it be achieved?
tammaja
tammaja

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:49 pm
Well yes, funding for the team and approval of the ffa would not be an issue, but i dont think that we will or should have a team for next season

Probably the most concerning thing about trying to get a team before next season would be the quality of players we would be able to find in such a short amount of time.
We dont want to finally get a team and rush in with an outfit that will be the cellar dweller of the a-league table. For the amount of effort and support put behind the bid for a team, i think it would be reasonable to expect a team that can perform on the national level.

My tip is a team by the 2012/13 season if w sydney bow out
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:03 pm
tammaja wrote:Well yes, funding for the team and approval of the ffa would not be an issue, but i dont think that we will or should have a team for next season

Probably the most concerning thing about trying to get a team before next season would be the quality of players we would be able to find in such a short amount of time.
We dont want to finally get a team and rush in with an outfit that will be the cellar dweller of the a-league table. For the amount of effort and support put behind the bid for a team, i think it would be reasonable to expect a team that can perform on the national level.

you're probably right, the FFA won't want to rush into anything given the recent spate of dramas so giving us a provisional licence for 2012-13 would be ideal IMO.

however i disagree re the players, rovers haven't signed anyone yet and aren't expected to until at least next year so i don't think that would be the problem
Toby
Toby

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:20 pm
tammaja wrote:Well yes, funding for the team and approval of the ffa would not be an issue, but i dont think that we will or should have a team for next season

Not to mention the Fury did a fantastic job over the break...
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:55 pm
knowing the ffa.. they'll just delay the rovers entrance until they get money!
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:36 pm
the licence will be revoked if they don't get the money in a week john
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:42 pm
^^

oh alright... i'm sure they'll still give it in a couple of years!
Toby
Toby

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:11 am
I reckon they are trying to get all the West Sydney bids together in a desperate attempt to get the team and the cash... its the only way, I reckon, they can get a team.
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:37 pm
What ever happens, the FFA are truly stubborn and will not give Canberra a licence for a long time. As annoying as it is that's the way it is and the FFA will do all they can to get western Sydney a team.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:00 am
where's lucas neil when you need him... he had a WS bid!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum