Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Western Sydney set to be given the green light Empty Western Sydney set to be given the green light

Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:51 pm
Western Sydney set for 12th A-League spot

The Sydney A-League bid spearheaded by property developer Joe Meissner, former Young Socceroo Ian Rowden and one-time NSL stalwart Berti Mariani has emerged as a favourite to snare the 12th A-League licence for entry into the competition in 2010-2011.
FFA want Western Sydney covered

With a decision likely to be handed down by Football Federation Australia by the end of July – or early August – CEO-in-waiting Mariani believes the bid has ticked all the boxes and will provide a viable and attractive alternative to a latent football fan base that has steadfastly refused to be seduced by Sydney FC over the past four years.

With a home ground of either ANZ Stadium, Parramatta Stadium or Penrith’s CUA Stadium, the as-yet unnamed club is hoping to win the west, but is refusing to limit itself to just that demographic as it spreads its net as wide as possible.

“We have a vision and it’s a pretty wide one,” explained Mariani, who is competing with two other Sydney bids and one from Canberra for a seat at the A-League table.

“We see ourselves as being supplementary to what Sydney FC have been doing for five years and I feel we would complement each other.

“We feel we have followed the process and protocols as best we can and financially we are looking sound. We have the financial base we need.

He added: “I can’t say whether the other bids are at but I am confident we have fulfilled the criteria, though of course the FFA will be the final arbiter of that.”

The bid is backed by Meissner, a former world karate champion, who also has a black belt in business having accumulated a fortune in property dealings in Australia, China and Europe.

Mariani and Meissner recently met FFA officials for a third time and they are keen for a final determination to give them the time they will need to choose a ground, build a team and construct a brand.

They have provided the governing body with the $6 million in financial guarantees to cover start up costs but Mariani made it clear that were the licensee to be awarded they would seek to attract equity partners.

Meissner already owns a ready-made training base, the Gabbie Stadium at Seven Hills, plus a feeder team in the NSW Premier League, Penrith-Nepean United.

Rowden, the bid’s chairman, cut ties with Sydney FC after being a board member of the club, to throw his lot in with the new boys in town. He has returned to Australia after 16 years overseas, mainly in the US where he was an executive with Coca-Cola, to take up a role with advertising agency Saatchi and Saatchi.

Mariani is convinced supporters will flock to the new franchise, insisting: “Sydney certainly warrants a second team. We have the population concentration, just like Melbourne, which already has a second team with a license in its hand.

“We will provide a good alternative to Sydney FC. The rivalry between us will benefit both clubs.

“We will go where Sydney haven’t and competition between us would provide extra spark on the local landscape. There are a lot of people out their looking for a team to support.

“We’re looking forward to a decision as quickly as possible so we have the optimum time to prepare.”

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/sydney-bid-firms-for-licence-205002
Toby
Toby

Western Sydney set to be given the green light Empty Re: Western Sydney set to be given the green light

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:18 pm
Like we all predicted the FFA were giving WS as much time as possible. They have come up with the funds and they will surely get the 12th spot. Looks like we might have to prepare for a longer then hoped campaign to get our team.. in the mean time.. lets keep getting Canberrans onto the forum! cmon
Joey47
Joey47

Western Sydney set to be given the green light Empty Re: Western Sydney set to be given the green light

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:31 pm
Yea, whatever happens this forum will keep on going.

I'm always saying "I'm resigned to not getting it".

But now i'm saying "We aren't going to get it"

I would be VERY surprised if we get.
Timmeh
Timmeh

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:38 pm
What a load of crap.....Just Sydney journo's spinning bullsh#t trying to build up hype. They have tried it with Tanner's piece of junk, the Wollongong bid and now this one. Nowhere in the article does it mention specific quotes from FFA or the A-League.

Remember the FFA said the Canberra bid was the BEST they have ever seen!!! We have the money, we have the facilities...GIVE US OUR TEAM ALREADY!!!!

Timmy
Toby
Toby

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:56 pm
Good point, however they have also quoted "Western Sydney is our preferred option". But your right we shouldn't give up hope quite yet! Hmmm
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:20 pm
Toby wrote:Good point, however they have also quoted "Western Sydney is our preferred option". But your right we shouldn't give up hope quite yet! Hmmm

i'm gonna go with timmeh here, the words you are reffering to are not qouted at all.
mikey_porto
mikey_porto

Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:53 pm
Oh well... It does looks as though the long process is at its end and we won't get it. Cry
Toby
Toby

Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:46 am
aleague4canberra wrote:
Toby wrote:Good point, however they have also quoted "Western Sydney is our preferred option". But your right we shouldn't give up hope quite yet! Hmmm

i'm gonna go with timmeh here, the words you are reffering to are not qouted at all.

sorry my fault I thought Ben Buckley said that,
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:09 pm
If we don't ge it we need to stand right up to the FFA and say what we want....directly. Rant
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:19 pm
Timmeh wrote:What a load of crap.....Just Sydney journo's spinning bullsh#t trying to build up hype. They have tried it with Tanner's piece of junk, the Wollongong bid and now this one. Nowhere in the article does it mention specific quotes from FFA or the A-League.

Remember the FFA said the Canberra bid was the BEST they have ever seen!!! We have the money, we have the facilities...GIVE US OUR TEAM ALREADY!!!!

Timmy

definantly
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:34 am
We might still get it,
Come on guys be positive for just a bit longer and then we can hate the FFA if we dont get in.

Canberra honestly has a really, really good bid and we have a great chance over the many messed up WS bids.

Have some faith in the bid, only a little longer now.
Joey47
Joey47

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:59 am
Guys, just remember that there is a possibility that it could go to 13 teams. I saw an article a few weeks ago and the FFA said that the "13 teams" is a possibility.

Obviously, the FFA respect our bid but they really want to see a Western Sydney team as well.
Toby
Toby

Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:00 pm
Cool that would be the biggest surprise if they allowed 13 teams to play. No one would expect that.
Timmeh
Timmeh

Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:04 pm
I guess it also depends on what happens with Wellington. Weren't they told they couldn't be in the A League by the AFC as they are actually from a different confed??

Tim
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:39 pm
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:Guys, just remember that there is a possibility that it could go to 13 teams. I saw an article a few weeks ago and the FFA said that the "13 teams" is a possibility.

Obviously, the FFA respect our bid but they really want to see a Western Sydney team as well.

deus ex machina
Toby
Toby

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:27 pm
Timmeh wrote:I guess it also depends on what happens with Wellington. Weren't they told they couldn't be in the A League by the AFC as they are actually from a different confed??

Tim

possibly after 2011, until then they are definately in the A-league
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum