Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Scheduling gloom and doom for Canberra Empty Scheduling gloom and doom for Canberra

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:32 pm
Scheduling gloom and doom for Canberra

By John-Paul Moloney and Michael Inman

Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner says today's clash of codes is a preview of the scheduling chaos to come.

And he has warned that if the AFL eventually expands its activity and the city gets an A-League football team, at least one Canberra team will go broke.

The Canberra Raiders vs West Tigers NRL match at Canberra Stadium and the Sydney Swans vs Melbourne Demons AFL match at Manuka Oval will force some fans of both codes to choose which events to attend.

Furner expected the Raiders crowd to be down 2000 on its target, estimating a crowd of 10,000 for the match.

"This weekend is a reflection of what will happen more often with more AFL games, the new Super 14 season going through till September and an A-League team. There is no way in the world the codes won't clash." Furner said.

However AFL NSW/ACT game development manager Garry Buchanan downplayed the effect the Raiders match would have on the crowd at Manuka.

He expected a crowd of 10,000, well down on the 12,457 that attended the Swans vs Western Bulldogs match in June.

The difference was that now the Swans are out of finals contention and the Demons are equal last.

"When the Bulldogs played the Swans they were both top four teams and it was match of the round," Buchanan said.

"Saying that we only get two games so it's an opportunity to watch an elite game of AFL that they don't get often."

Clashes are rare in Canberra, mainly due to the ACT Brumbies and Canberra Raiders carefully organising their schedules. A clash between the Brumbies and the Canberra Capital's WNBL grand final was averted earlier this year turning this year by turning it into a double-header.

Furner was adamant the city's spectators and corporate sector could not support three professional football teams and regular AFL visits.

"I don't think Canberra can support four national teams. If there's an A-League, us and the Brumbies and you get six AFL games one of us will go broke, I'm certain of that," Furner said.

"Nothing against football [soccer], it's not a code thing, it's just a reality that Canberra has 300,000 people and cannot support four national teams.

"If you go back through history with the Cannons, Comets and Cosmos- there's not enough corporate support money here."

Canberra Times
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Scheduling gloom and doom for Canberra Empty Re: Scheduling gloom and doom for Canberra

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:46 pm
I think he's wrong about canberra not being able to support 4 teams, the a-league team will draw largely from different people than the ones who attend the raiders games.

and just quietly, he was expecting 12K tp the match tomorrow, and now he's expecting 10K because of the fixture clash, that is optimistic.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Scheduling gloom and doom for Canberra Empty Re: Scheduling gloom and doom for Canberra

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:55 pm
I'm a brumbies member as well as a raiders member and i go to most of there games too... but i also go to all the AFL games in Canberra... but i dont think there would be clashes anyway... NRL is different time of year than a-league and the brumbies handle stuff like this well so i think we would be fine.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:57 pm
^^

yeah and the brumbies are essentially a different time of the year to the NRL and the a-league so all you have then is the AFL which is only 6 games a year.
(::FAQ::)
(::FAQ::)

Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:12 pm
aleague4canberra wrote:I think he's wrong about canberra not being able to support 4 teams, the a-league team will draw largely from different people than the ones who attend the raiders games.

and just quietly, he was expecting 12K tp the match tomorrow, and now he's expecting 10K because of the fixture clash, that is optimistic.

Football is not of the standard (media wise etc.) than of Rugby League. There is more to support than crowds. There is media exposure which the honours will be given to Raiders due to the existence of them longer. There is memberships, where Canberra United will struggle to hit 5,000 which the Raiders did.

By the way, I think we can easily crack 10,000. It will be lovely weather for league, season-defining game and raiders-tigers draw good crowds due to the rivalry
cufc_cc
cufc_cc
Other football teams : Leeds Utd

Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:46 am
aleague4canberra wrote:^^

yeah and the brumbies are essentially a different time of the year to the NRL and the a-league so all you have then is the AFL which is only 6 games a year.

In the article it points out that the Super 14 is going till September- NRL is played until early October.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:32 pm
um super 14 doesn't go til september does it?

it's july now and is the super 14 still going? no

it hasn't been on for a couple of months in fact.
cufc_cc
cufc_cc
Other football teams : Leeds Utd

Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:46 pm
aleague4canberra wrote:um super 14 doesn't go til september does it?

it's july now and is the super 14 still going? no

it hasn't been on for a couple of months in fact.

I meant next year. If you read the article I am sure you would know what I am saying.

Don Furner wrote:"This weekend is a reflection of what will happen more often with more AFL games, the new Super 14 season going through till September and an A-League team. There is no way in the world the codes won't clash." Furner said.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:12 pm
^^
ah, touchee.

just look at the crowds from todays games, the raiders got 11K, and the swans match got 7K. make of that what you will.
Joey47
Joey47

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:23 pm
ah, touchee.

just look at the crowds from todays games, the raiders got 11K, and the swans match got 7K. make of that what you will.

proven wrong yet again. lol
Gordo

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:05 pm
Furner might be right that there's not room for 4 codes, but there's no reason it will be football that loses out. Canberra United has every bit as much chance as doing as well as the Brumbies have. AFL will not create a team here because they are too arrogant, if someone fails it will be the Raiders, League is a dying sport.
Raider_United
Raider_United

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:28 pm
Gordo wrote:Furner might be right that there's not room for 4 codes, but there's no reason it will be football that loses out. Canberra United has every bit as much chance as doing as well as the Brumbies have. AFL will not create a team here because they are too arrogant, if someone fails it will be the Raiders, League is a dying sport.

I doubt that the raiders will. People don't know it but they are doing great financially. One of the richer in the NRL. It will be the AFL. The AFL have already said that there is a strong possibility that there will be no more games at Manuka due to the money the AFL demand- and the government won't fork out the money.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:00 pm
yeah the afl doesn't have the support here in canberra, 7K? that's terrible.

and if the brumbies start doing crap, you'd better believe the interest in them will sink down to the raiders level.
Joey47
Joey47

Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:29 pm
If there is one of the codes out of the four to fall, it will be, in order of likeliness:

#1- the AFL 6 games
#2- the Canberra A-League team
#3- Canberra Raiders
#4- the Brumbies

People seem to forgt that just because we have the start up money doesn't mean everything will be fine.

The AFL is in great in Canberra and it is likely that they won't play in Canberra anymore. Nobody wants to see a team play in Canberra that are only here for the financial benefits.

The Raiders are one of the richer clubs in the NRL and should be fine (touch wood) as should the Brumbies.
Toby
Toby

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:56 pm
get rid of the AFL.. also don't forget if our team does well on the park then there will be plenty of support.. of we are wooden spooners then support will be low..
stevieg84lfc
stevieg84lfc
Other football teams : Liverpool, Liverpool Reserves, Liverpool Under 18's

Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:49 pm
ah, touchee.

Look at this way, the swans game was on free to air t.v and it was raining and it was 11th vs 16th, but the raiders were still a chance to make the finals
stevieg84lfc
stevieg84lfc
Other football teams : Liverpool, Liverpool Reserves, Liverpool Under 18's

Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:51 pm
Toby wrote:get rid of the AFL.. also don't forget if our team does well on the park then there will be plenty of support.. of we are wooden spooners then support will be low..
AFL in Canberra is one of the fastest growing junior sports so that would not be a good idea
Joey47
Joey47

Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:29 pm
stevieg84lfc wrote:
Toby wrote:get rid of the AFL.. also don't forget if our team does well on the park then there will be plenty of support.. of we are wooden spooners then support will be low..
AFL in Canberra is one of the fastest growing junior sports so that would not be a good idea

AFL in the ACT should come 4th priority and I think the Government have already stated this. The Raiders, Brumbies, and the A-League team should come way before having 2 AFL games a year between Melbourne Demons and the Sydney Swans. If the AFL games are getting crowds of 7,000 and the AFL don't care about us then we shouldn't be running up to them and begging for games.

Raiders, Brumbies, A-League team > Sydney Swans vs Melbourne Demons

Also, football in Canberra is dayilght junior wise, ahead of any of the other codes and IMO will remain that.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:29 pm
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
stevieg84lfc wrote:

AFL in the ACT should come 4th priority and I think the Government have already stated this. The Raiders, Brumbies, and the A-League team should come way before having 2 AFL games a year between Melbourne Demons and the Sydney Swans. If the AFL games are getting crowds of 7,000 and the AFL don't care about us then we shouldn't be running up to them and begging for games.

Also, football in Canberra is dayilght junior wise, ahead of any of the other codes and IMO will remain that.

hry... i plsy AFL and i went to the AFL game instead of the raiders... AFL is Australia's national sport (after cricket) so dont put it down!!!! Mad
Joey47
Joey47

Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:50 pm
JohnLovesCanberraUnited wrote:
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
stevieg84lfc wrote:

hry... i plsy AFL and i went to the AFL game instead of the raiders... AFL is Australia's national sport (after cricket) so dont put it down!!!! Mad

What I am saying is that if the AFL, treat Canberra like they have being then it should be 4th priority and is.
TheBigMan
TheBigMan
Other football teams : Millwall, Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:15 pm
The AFL dont care about Canberra... even though people (like JOhn) care about AFL
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum