Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Farina: Give Canberra an A-League team Empty Farina: Give Canberra an A-League team

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:18 pm
Farina chips in for Canberra

Farina: Give Canberra an A-League team Frank300_1251940681
Fond memories ... Brisbane coach Frank Farina wants to see Canberra in the A-League (Getty)

Former Canberra Arrows striker Frank Farina has urged Football Federation Australia to give the capital city a chance to leave its mark on the A-League.

The Canberra bid has emerged as hot favourite to land the coveted 12th A-League licence after the shock withdrawal of a bid from western Sydney that was seen as strong and viable.
Farina, who turns 45 on Saturday, started his professional career with the Arrows in the National Soccer League in 1983.

He scored 15 goals in 41 matches for the Arrows before moving to Sydney City, Marconi and then on to Belgium and France.

Farina, now coaching the A-League's Brisbane Roar, said he would love to see Canberra in the competition next season.

"I have very fond memories of Canberra," Farina said.

"That's where I started basically. I went from the Australian Institute of Sport to the Arrows.

"There are a lot of people who play and support football who live in Canberra and outlying areas.

"It is just a matter of getting those people to support the team by going to the games. The numbers are there. There's no doubt about that.

"So let's give Canberra a go. It's a major city and it also has a fantastic stadium. I still have a soft spot for the city and its football team."

The bid from western Sydney led by Joe Meissner is out of the race after the businessman informed the FFA that it was no longer interested in continuing its submission.

A second bid from western Sydney that has Socceroos captain Lucas Neill as its figurehead does not appear to have a realistic chance.

A second Melbourne team that will be called Melbourne Heart has already been given the go-ahead and has even appointed a coach, Dutchman Henk Van Stee.

Meanwhile, Fartina denied suggestions that the poor crowd figures being registered by his club Brisbane this season were a result of the fans' frustration at the team's poor home results.

Last weekend's match against Central Coast drew fewer than 7000 fans which was the smallest crowd in the club's A-League history.

"It is a fact that most teams in the A-League struggle at home because away teams play the counter-attack," Farina said.

"It's all to do with the scheduling of the games.

"It was the first Saturday afternoon game we've ever had. There were eight premier league games on and a lot of junior football is played at that time.

"Having so many games taking place almost at the same time was a major problem."

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/a-league/farina-chips-in-for-canberra-231337
TheBigMan
TheBigMan
Other football teams : Millwall, Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus

Farina: Give Canberra an A-League team Empty Re: Farina: Give Canberra an A-League team

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:20 pm
yay for farnia Woot!
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Farina: Give Canberra an A-League team Empty Re: Farina: Give Canberra an A-League team

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:40 pm
hear hear farina, thank you, surely now we have it?
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:29 pm
We could be lucky.. Woot!
Expedite

Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:20 pm
I normally cant stand Farina, guess i have to ease up a little after these comments.
Toby
Toby

Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:26 pm
yay Farina!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum