Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Canberra Chief's Vow to Fight on Empty Canberra Chief's Vow to Fight on

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:18 pm
Canberra Chief's Vow To Fight On

EXCLUSIVE: Canberra's A-League bid chief Ivan Slavich has told supporters he won't rest until the ACT is admitted to the competition.
Football Federation Australia has handed the coveted 12th licence to Western Sydney in a decision that bitterly disappointed the ACT.

But while dismayed, the setback has only made Slavich more determined to bring A-League football to the capital.

He is urging supporters in the ACT to keep heads high and put even greater efforts into the push for admission.

"I'm a pretty persistent sort of bloke," Slavich told au.fourfourtwo.com today. "I'm not a quitter, I don't quit and we will have an A-League team by hook or by crook.

"Clearly the FFA had their preference for Western Sydney. It might have been nice to know that earlier on but we look ahead now and to that 13th licence."

Slavich confirmed the Canberra bid's bank balance was just short of the magic $6m sought by the FFA - although a lack of funds didn't hinder the West Sydney bid.

"The figure of $4.5m is about right and we continue to work on building that," said Slavich. "I think our prospects remain bright and we are talking to the FFA about the possibility of participation in the National Youth League and links with Canberra's W-League team.

"Who knows what can happen in football? If a team was to drop out of the competition then you have to be ready to step in.

"I know there is disappointment but the worst thing people can do is to suddenly stop going to matches here and become disheartened. That would send the wrong signal to the FFA."

The Canberra bid has government backing, an important factor for Slavich, and the bid team will meet with ACT government officials next week to discuss recent developments and the way ahead.

Slavich added: "The message is this. Keep the faith. This is definitely not the end. We will continue with this and I'll only quit when we're in the A-League."

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/113876,canberra-chiefs-vow-to-fight-on.aspx
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Canberra Chief's Vow to Fight on Empty Re: Canberra Chief's Vow to Fight on

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:38 pm
Ivan Slavich wrote:"Who knows what can happen in football? If a team was to drop out of the competition then you have to be ready to step in.

Hmmm

That quote is VERY inteesting IMO. Does he know something we don't? Has he been given some inside knowledge on the future of Wellington?

Very interesting times ahead.
Toby
Toby

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:11 pm
I wouldn't read too much into that.. I think its mere speculation in case they do drop.. FFA has publicly declared they want Wellington and FIFA says if wellington and the FFA are happy then there is no problem.. There are technicalities being worked out between the FFA and the AFC. I am 90% sure Wellington will stay
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:01 pm
Canberra is set to get a NYL team next year, I read the Canberra Times article on wednesday and it said the same thing that the FFA are looking at getting a National Youth League team in the ACT by next year,

This would be really great and would prepare players for the future Canberra A-League team.
BrotherEstapol
BrotherEstapol

Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:44 pm
Just got this email update from The Slavich:

Dear ___,

On behalf of the A League 4 Canberra committee I would take the opportunity to thank everyone of our Foundation Members, volunteers and supporters who did so much to push the case for Canberra's entry to the A-League. And while most of you will have heard the news that Canberra has missed out on the 12th spot I would like to take this opportunity to update you on our plans.

In this update:
12th Hyundai A-League Licence.
What we achieved.
The plan forward: (ACT Government Meeting this week.)
The 13th Hyundai A-League spot.
Foundation Members Trust Fund (Your $200)

12th Hyundai A-League Licence:

The FFA has announced that Western Sydney is to be the 12th Hyundai A-League licence starting in 2011. I am well aware of the enormous frustration many Canberra sports fans feel about the process. And while I share that frustration I remain focused on getting an A-League team for Canberra as soon as possible.

What we achieved.

When we started on this journey in June 2008 the bidding process was closed and no Canberra bid was on the table. Through our outstanding community and financial support we forced our way into consideration and while missing the ultimate prize at this time, I believe we achieved some strong outcomes for Canberra and football in the region.

These include:

A record crowd of 20,032 turned out to support the Socceroos and the Canberra A-League bid in March 2009.
Strong support from the ACT Government in the form of a $2.5m grant and ongoing financial support after year three.
Almost 2,000 Foundation Members took membership in the A-League4Canberra vision.
Substantial investor support.
Commitment from a number of corporate foundation supporters
Commitment from a number of corporate supporters on an ongoing basis
Two A League games for Canberra
Everyone in Canberra now knows what the A-League is; this wasn't the case when we started.
We overturned the lingering sentiment from the Canberra Cosmos era as the community started to believe we could have a team once more.
FFA CEO Ben Buckley has stated Canberra is the "obvious choice" for the 13th licence.
Further Socceroo Internationals and A-League games will be coming to Canberra in the future as a direct result of your efforts.
A strong committee which I would like to thank for their enormous support and work in getting us to where we now are

The plan forward: (ACT Government meeting Thursday.)

Football continues to grow in Australia. And it will continue to do so in the forseeable future. The Socceroos head to the South African World Cup in June 2010, and Australia, and Canberra, is expected to host the Asian Cup in 2015. In the Canberra region our player base continues to thrive.

I'm conscious of the need to move A-League4Canberra forward but at the same time point out the difficulties of volunteers maintaining the momentum of the last 15 months.

I'm working with the FFA to have a team in the Hyundai A-League Youth League in 2010. It's imperative our players are given a clear pathway and this would also help us prepare our players, administration and support staff for that 13th A-League Licence.

I am meeting the Minister on Thursday to provide debrief and to discuss future ACT Government support for the A-League4Canberra bid.

The 13th Hyundai A-League spot:

FFA CEO Ben Buckley has stated Canberra is the "obvious choice" for the 13th spot. We aim to be well prepared, as quickly as possible to hit the road running should an existing licence not be renewed. Remember most of our planning to start the team has been done. Further finances are required and I will continue to work to secure these in coming months.

Foundation Memberships:

The $200 paid by each Foundation Membership is held in trust until 2012. (See Foundation Membership Trust details at the end of this document.) I expect to have gained a notification of a licence well before then!

Football supporters vision continues:

Whilst the frustation is strong around the community I intend to focus on getting that 13th Hyundai A-League Licence as soon as possible. And when the dust settles I'm sure you will continue the journey.

I would urge everyone to attend the Canberra United W-League games this season, starting October 10 at McKellar Stadium, and make Canberra the best supported W-League side in the country.
Also come and show your support for the Canberra United and A-League Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United double header on October 31 at Canberra Stadium. What better way to get your frustrations out. Bring your green and shout, scream and holler long and loud. I'm sure the FFA will hear you!

Thankyou once again for your outstanding support.

Yours Sincerely

Ivan Slavich

RE:Foundation Membership Trust Details:

Found at: http://www.a-league4canberra.com.au/site/terms.php

// Terms and Conditions
A-League4Canberra
FOUNDATION TRUST ACCOUNT CREATION AND PRIMARY PURPOSE
The A-League 4 Canberra Trustees will establish a Trust account at SERVICE ONE MEMBERS BANKING (the Trust Account) for the purpose of deposit by prospective members wishing to become a Foundation Member (the Foundation Membership) of an A-League football Team for Canberra. The beneficiary to this Trust will be the A-League 4 Canberra body which is to be incorporated shortly (the Beneficiary). It is hoped that the A-League football team will be established for entry in the 2010/2011 football competition or at a later time. The cost of the Foundation Membership is $200 (or such greater sum as the prospective members choose) which is fully refundable to the applicant (the Applicant) for the Foundation Membership, if the committee or board of the Beneficiary (the Board) in its sole discretion determines that the application to the Football Federation of Australia for an A-League football team for Canberra has been unsuccessful (whether it be for the 2010/2011 football competition or for a later year not later than 31 December 2012). Applicants will receive a numbered certificate of their efforts to assist in the creation of an A-League football team for Canberra irrespective of whether the application is successful. If successful in the application for an A-League football team for Canberra, the Applicants will receive a numbered certificate and member benefits such as discounts on ticket sales to games and other benefits, at the discretion of the A-League football team management. Monetary interest received from the funds deposited in the Trust Account will be used in furtherance of the application for an A-League football team for Canberra by the Beneficiary and/or the funds required to run the said team if it is established. If the application for an A-League football team is unsuccessful, any surplus interest will be donated to local soccer activates and community bodies in furtherance of soccer at the discretion of the Board. In the event that any Applicant(s) have deceased or cannot be contacted at the time of refund of any application fee (as the personal details provided by them have changed or lapsed), such fees will be donated to local soccer activates and community bodies in furtherance of soccer at the discretion of the Board. The signatories to the TRUST ACCOUNT will be the Trustee.

The stuff I've bolded, was also bolded in the email...so I'm guessing there's been people asking for their money back? :P

Should be interesting to see what comes of the meeting on Thursday...I'd like to see the Government ask for provisional A-League license in exchange for building a larger Stadium at Bruce to help with the World Cup bid.
You know, you scratch my back, I scratch yours.
Galileo
Galileo

Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:49 pm
I reckon Slavich has been given some inside knowledge that a franchise could be pulling out, with Canberra being the obvious choice to enter...

Well I hope.
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:21 pm
^^
How so...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum