Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Canberra bid on standby Empty Canberra bid on standby

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:58 am
Canberra bid on standby

ROBERT DILLON AND DEAN BENSON
04 Sep, 2010 12:00 AM

Canberra's A-League bid leader Ivan Slavich believes the national capital will be ready for a franchise next year but doubts it will be at Newcastle's expense.
Newcastle's future in the national competition is in doubt after it was revealed the 2007-08 champion is suffering a financial crisis.

Players and staff have not been paid for the past two weeks, and unless Football Federation Australia is able to provide club owner Con Constantine with a rescue package by Monday, there are genuine fears the club will fold. Waiting in the wings is the A-League4Canberra committee, which has been frustrated by the FFA's decision to expand the original eight-team competition to 12 without embracing the ACT.

Committee chairman Ivan Slavich said yesterday a Canberra team could be operational by next year if a replacement franchise was needed for Newcastle.

But he was dubious about the possibility of that scenario unfolding.

''That would be a possibility,'' he said. ''But I'd be really surprised if the FFA allowed that team [Newcastle] to falter. My personal opinion is that they would prop it up, like they did for Adelaide and Townsville and Brisbane.

''I couldn't see it going down, to be honest with you. Based on past experience, that would be my assessment.

''I'm sure they'll come up with some solution to the problems.''

After numerous attempts in recent months to discuss Canberra's A-League future with the FFA, Slavich finally had that discussion with the sport's governing body yesterday.

But he was told the FFA ''doesn't have any plans for expansion at this stage''.

''It all depends on what happens with the World Cup bid and Asian Cup bid,'' Slavic said.

''If they go ahead we might be looking good.''

The official A-League4Canberra website was taken offline last week.

The decision to remove the website caused a few eyebrows to be raised amongst the 2000 bid foundation members each of who have pledged $200 to the cause.

''Basically, with our website, the domain name had lapsed and it went offline,'' Slavich said. ''Naturally, a lot of foundation members said, 'What's going on?', so we've subsequently renewed our domain.''

While Canberra continues to be a chance of inclusion in any future A-League expansion, Slavich said the $400,000 in foundation pledge money would be retained in trust by Service One Members Banking.

The money will be refunded to members should there be no prospect for the team from the national capital being included in the A-League by 30 December 2012.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/football-soccer/canberra-bid-on-standby/1932562.aspx
Toby
Toby

Canberra bid on standby Empty Re: Canberra bid on standby

Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:04 am
I doubt Newcastle will fold.. It would be really disappointing for the A-league and would set a precedence of not supporting A-league clubs which would make every other club owner nervous.. Canberra needs a team, non-Canberrans are now arguing that we need a team!
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:06 pm
Look I doubt Newcastle will fold too. I hope the FFA will save them like they did for North Qld.

But we may get a chance at Sydney Rovers expense should they not come up good next season
Gate7
Gate7
Other football teams : Olympiakos

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:07 pm
from wat ive heard the rovers might not come up full stop next season
Toby
Toby

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:15 pm
Yeah that was an interesting article about the Rovers still not having any money to have a team.. all we can do is wait and see..
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:51 pm
i dont think rovers should enter the comp next season and neither should canberra just yet!! i want a canberra team badly but we need a stable league first!
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:30 pm
I think once we can get a greater fan base and money for the a-league there will be a time for expansion. However going to western sydney was always going to fail.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum