Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digging up the old Manager debate

+19
pete
spathi
arinceo
theblueorder
Galileo
Nonna Gomes
Golden_CU
Alex351
Raider_United
efcmetro1878
(::FAQ::)
mikey_porto
United On The Gong
Chris1822
Gate7
Toby
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
TheBigMan
Joey47
23 posters
Go down

What type of manager would be viable and suitable for a Canberran team?

4 - 19%
7 - 33%
10 - 48%

Total Votes: 21

JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Digging up the old Manager debate - Page 2 Empty Re: Digging up the old Manager debate

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:03 am
Chris1822 wrote:Yeah golden CU agree but there are other options, the golden generation for australian footballers has the potential to see a golden age of australian coaches. the likes of viduka, grella, chippers, moore, bresc all have the footballing intelligence to be a successful coach, it all depends on the opportunities they get.

i agree, viduka, chippers, moore, bresc, grella, neil, kewell, etc, are all nearing or have ended their playing careers, hopefully some of them use their money to back an a-league team (eg. Lucas Neil and WS) but some of them could make pretty good coaches i reckon
Nonna Gomes

Digging up the old Manager debate - Page 2 Empty Re: Digging up the old Manager debate

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:05 am
I cannot see Grella or Bresciano being the manager type TBH. Viduka, Kewell, Cahill, Emerton and Neill definitely.

Grella has said he has no intentions to come back to Australia after his career overseas.
Galileo
Galileo

Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:13 pm
Personally, I like the foreign coaches coming in. We have seen with Straka, Lavicka and Coolen that they bring a differnt feel to it. A sense of excitement, flair and passion. Even controversy, which in this case is great for the game.

Toby
Toby

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:04 am
I reckon we should aim to get spider for the goalkeeping coach

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:40 am
With Robbie Hooker being confirmed as Socceroos assistant, I wouldn't mind signing him up as our inaugural manager.

Will have a broader knowledge of the game, under a great coach in Holger Osieck, who seems to play a fairly attacking style of play.

A Canberra lad, so he'll be good for us IMO.
theblueorder
theblueorder
Other football teams : Rangers FC

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:46 pm
Sorry Craig Foster, coaching Nerds FC does not count as having management experience.
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:51 pm
(::FAQ::) wrote:With Robbie Hooker being confirmed as Socceroos assistant, I wouldn't mind signing him up as our inaugural manager.

Will have a broader knowledge of the game, under a great coach in Holger Osieck, who seems to play a fairly attacking style of play.

A Canberra lad, so he'll be good for us IMO.

100% agree, would be more than willing most probably, as long as he completes his a-licence he will be a sure bet to be our manager, only question is when we'll get a team Hmmm
arinceo
arinceo

Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:44 pm
Robbie Hooker would be an excellent option, however if that is not an option (he could want to stay on with the Socceroos), I think Ned Zelic acting as an assisstant to an experienced European coach would be a fantastic combination. Similar to the current system at Syndey FC (Lavicka and Popovic), we'd get the tactical knowledge of the European game and the possibility of having Zelic step into the managerial position after a few seasons under the European's tutelage.
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:40 am
^^
Yeah agree completely. Bringing in an experienced coach would help settle the new team.
Raider_United
Raider_United

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:17 am
I reckon Canberra United will enter in 2014, on the back of a World Cup. Whether Robbie Hooker will quit then, I doubt it.

I would personally like to see Paul Okon or Gary Van Egmond given the reigns, however, if not, then definitely an overseas coach, with, as you said Arinceo, a young and upcoming coach eg. Ned Zelic, Josip Simunic, a returning Socceroo.
spathi
spathi
Other football teams : Liverpool, Barcelona

Thu May 05, 2011 4:11 pm
There is only one local who should coach a Canberra A-League team and that is Milan Milovanovic. He has great football knowledge and also knows all the best players that have come through ACTAS as he coached all of them.

pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Tue May 24, 2011 11:04 am
Yeah I agree I think we would need to get a local coach with a good media profile (preferably) for the first few seasons anyway. Here are my picks in this order:

1. Frank Farina
2. Ernie Merrick
3. Gary Van Egmond
4. Paul Okon
5. John Kosmina
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Sat May 28, 2011 11:00 am
now that ernie merrick has left melbourne victory, he would be a great candidate for the canberra role IMO. he made melbourne the best club in the a-league (until Brisbane and Ange entered)! Frank Farina would also be good.
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:32 am
yeah Ernie would be a good candidate for the job, however i also think someone like Paul Okon or another former player would be decent.
Macas
Macas
Other football teams : Bolton Wanderers, Celtic

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:45 pm
Another guy that might be good for the Job is Clive McKillop.
He has coached the Matildas youth team, Assistant coach of the
Matildas, He has coached the act many times and made the
Canberra Eclipse of the old W.N.S.L. national champions, the only
Canberran football team to win a national title. And a benefit of
having him as coach is that he currently is only coaching upcoming
Referees for state level and Reffing himself.
Toby
Toby

Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:06 pm
What about Ned Zelic? I'm not sure if he has a coaching badge but could be handy?
Rick_Rick

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:38 pm
Some of the suggestions here are absolutely ridiculous TBH. MacKillop? Milovanic? We are a professional business are we not? Don't get me wrong, these local lads probably do possess a tactical nous, but if we are serious about making strides in the A-League, the criteria should not be "has coached Canberra FC, Canberra Olympic, or ACTAS". For some reason football in Canberra has, and always has had a leniency to be weak and not capable of making the tough calls. FWIW, I have heard some absolutely dreadful reports regarding Milonavic.

If we are serious of being a title challenger, we need someone externally. Someone with no links to Canberra football, and has the capability to make the tough calls. Whether this is an Australian or a European... that is yet to be seen.

Gary Van Egmond, Paul Okon, Aurelio Vidmar and Robbie Hooker, all of whom have either coached in the A-League or plied their trade with the Socceroos and thus possesses a well credentialed CV would be great candidates if we do go local. This is also why, it is vital Slavich does find some rich investors, backers willing to put some money into hiring an experienced, international and well credentialed coach from abroad.
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:35 pm
let's face it...robbie hooker would be the favourite and i'd be very happy with him tbh...ticks all the boxes except a-league experience, but his work with the socceroos covers that imo
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:53 am
Rick_Rick wrote:Some of the suggestions here are absolutely ridiculous TBH. MacKillop? Milovanic? We are a professional business are we not? Don't get me wrong, these local lads probably do possess a tactical nous, but if we are serious about making strides in the A-League, the criteria should not be "has coached Canberra FC, Canberra Olympic, or ACTAS". For some reason football in Canberra has, and always has had a leniency to be weak and not capable of making the tough calls. FWIW, I have heard some absolutely dreadful reports regarding Milonavic.

If we are serious of being a title challenger, we need someone externally. Someone with no links to Canberra football, and has the capability to make the tough calls. Whether this is an Australian or a European... that is yet to be seen.

Gary Van Egmond, Paul Okon, Aurelio Vidmar and Robbie Hooker, all of whom have either coached in the A-League or plied their trade with the Socceroos and thus possesses a well credentialed CV would be great candidates if we do go local. This is also why, it is vital Slavich does find some rich investors, backers willing to put some money into hiring an experienced, international and well credentialed coach from abroad.

Well said Rick.

Paul Okon would be a great candidate. Where is he ATM? No longer with GCU, is he?

Someone akin to Phil Stubbins, Luciano Trani, Tony Popovic, Rado Vidosic? All of whom have plied their trade under some very successful managers in the A-League.

Just as long it isn't Ian Ferguson, David Mitchell or as Rick pointed out one of those local lads, we should be right.
TractorBoys4Life
TractorBoys4Life

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:52 pm
why not have an exprienced manager to start of with (farina, kosmina, merrick) then we change to someone young (zelic, okon, viduka, aloisi)
Macas
Macas

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:55 pm
You guys have to remember that their is no point in throughing names out there if these people don't wan't to do it. We might aswell be saying lets get Jose Mourinho in here. Come on guys, this isn't like Fifa Manager Mode were you can sign whoever the hell you want.
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:04 pm
Macas wrote:You guys have to remember that their is no point in throughing names out there if these people don't wan't to do it. We might aswell be saying lets get Jose Mourinho in here. Come on guys, this isn't like Fifa Manager Mode were you can sign whoever the hell you want.

I also agree with Rick_Rick and co.

But are you telling me, that the likes of Paul Okon, Ernie Merrick, Branko Culina, Gary Van Egmond, John Kosmina and Robbie Hooker- all of whom are not currently associated with an A-League club, would not jump at the chance to manage an A-League club? Are you telling me that not one well-credentialed European coach would not be willing to take up the reigns at a club in Australia's premier competition?

If we have to settle for the likes of MacKillop and Milovanic, then we shouldn't even be granted a licence, as it just suggests we will be a very, very weak club.

You're not comparing Jose Mourinho and the aforementioned names, are you? Whoops

And no, this is definitely not a FIFA Manager mode.
Macas
Macas

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:31 pm
O.K. I see what you are saying but their could be other factors in these peoples live that could make them say no. Yes, given the opportunity I think that any one of these people would take, but it sounds like we are trying to make the decision for them.
And no I am not comparing them to Jose Mourinho, I am just using him as an example to show that we can't just be saying "let's put him, or even this guy (ect)" in the position.
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:59 am
Macas wrote:O.K. I see what you are saying but their could be other factors in these peoples live that could make them say no. Yes, given the opportunity I think that any one of these people would take, but it sounds like we are trying to make the decision for them.
And no I am not comparing them to Jose Mourinho, I am just using him as an example to show that we can't just be saying "let's put him, or even this guy (ect)" in the position.

Well, I don't exactly see the difference between us and any other clubs around Australia, whom have poached managers.
Macas
Macas

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:51 pm
One difference between us and any other club around Australia is that we are not a club just yet regretably
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum