Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Canberra Stadium-Canberra a-league team-world cup Empty Canberra Stadium-Canberra a-league team-world cup

Sun May 17, 2009 1:44 pm
with the government announcing that they will upgrade canberra stadium for a world cup in australia, i'm just thinking that not only for a canberra a-league team but all canberra teams that play there, it's gonna be awful empty.

i mean if we get respectable crowd averages around 12K it's still gonna only be around a third full.
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Canberra Stadium-Canberra a-league team-world cup Empty Re: Canberra Stadium-Canberra a-league team-world cup

Sun May 17, 2009 3:27 pm
Capital Football has said that is unlikely that we will host any World Cup matches- we will just a training base.

It is still a possibility, things can change in 13 years but Heather Reid said that.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Canberra Stadium-Canberra a-league team-world cup Empty Re: Canberra Stadium-Canberra a-league team-world cup

Sun May 17, 2009 4:49 pm
heather reid will be gone in a while won't she? won't she? :pale:
arinceo
arinceo

Mon May 18, 2009 1:17 pm
You're probably over-reacting here. If the FFA decide to redevelop Canberra Stadium for the 2018 World Cup, it won't happen until at least 2014, which by then I would expect crowd averages to be about 18-20 thousand anyway, and by 2018 possibly about 22-24 thousand with the World Cup euphoria strengthening the sport's fanbase across the country.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon May 18, 2009 6:31 pm
wow 18-20K by 2014, that's a big call, IMO not unless we make the world cup final
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Mon May 18, 2009 11:32 pm
Football will take Canberra by storm if they get the A-League team. I dont think its out of the question, anything is possible! new sport, new culture, successful national team, world cup!
Nonno Gomes
Nonno Gomes

Tue May 19, 2009 9:41 am
thom_canberra wrote:Football will take Canberra by storm if they get the A-League team. I dont think its out of the question, anything is possible! new sport, new culture, successful national team, world cup!

someone is high on life lol
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Tue May 19, 2009 6:44 pm
lol!
arinceo
arinceo

Wed May 20, 2009 2:13 pm
I think that 18-20k by 2014 is defiitely achievable.

If say we average 13k for our debut season in the A-League:
2010/11: 13,000
2011/12: 12,000 (Slight drop off after debut season)
2012/13: 14,000 (Awarded WC 2018 during or before season will increase crowds)
2013/14: 16,000 (Before World Cup in Brazil, the fact that we will be hosting the next one and probably playing in Brail will increase A-League interest.)
2014/15: 19,000 (After a hopefully solid world Cup performance, now everyone will flock to see the returning World Cup players in the A-League)
the head
the head
Location : Duffy. That's where I live mofo. Where I do my thing.

Wed May 20, 2009 3:38 pm
If we average 12,000 after 5 years; I'll be stoked.
GloryPerth
GloryPerth

Wed May 20, 2009 7:53 pm
Guys I actually believe you are a good chance to host World Cup fixtures. You see as a WC host, we'd be required to have 8-10 'Host Cities,' and Australia in this regard, is a little tight, given our highly centralised population. There's Perth (WC Stadium issues atm aside), Adelaide (WC Stadium issues atm aside), Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, plus, Newcastle and the Gold Coast, equalling 7 'Hosts.'

Canberra is the leading candidate from the rest. At 400k presently, it's clearly Australia's 8th largest city/urban region and already has a pretty decent rectangular stadium established - it only requires relatively little improving and temporary stands. Canberra is brilliantly located - right between Melbourne and Sydney (As historically intended ofcourse), not far from Sydney. So it's hardly isolated. It's more of an international city, like has a decent enough airport (which will probably be improved even more come WC) and is a hub, used to the large traffic of people (Especially Public servants?).

And ofcourse, indeed it would be a plus to have the nation's capital, hosting fixtures. You guys did host Olympic football matches, back in Sydney 2000, though I know the crowds and interest in the Olympic Football Tournament is small fly, compared to the World Cup. But the stadium did receive upgrades due to the Olympics football and likely will receive upgrades, for the World Cup.

I know Bruce Stadium is currently 25k capacity. I don't know how the stadium compares, facilities wise, but I presume it would already be near up to scratch, with media and corporate box facilities, aswell as your general amenities. A modern stadium.

Looking at pics of your stadium, your stadium, as is, could 'easily' accommodate large temporary stands at the 'uncovered ends' of the stadium. Not unlike Stadium Australia at Sydney 2000, the temporary stands could form a large second tier at both those ends, adding an addition 5-10k people or so. This could be in addition to upgrades of the stadium itself, which may include lifting capacity to a quite reasonable 30k and improving facilities, amenities or whatever, to make the stadium 'world class.'

Post WC - the temporary stands could be removed and you're left with a world class stadium seating 30k. 30k is quite realistic, given Canberra-Queanbeyan region is a reasonably fast growing region and the ACT Brumbies apparently drew a crowd exceeding seating capacity, of near 29k back in 2004, for their Super 12 final. And in 5-10 years both the A-League team and the NRL side would be half filling the stadium (15k avg crowds), with the Brumbies likely to push closer to 18-20k. In 10-15 years expect Canberra-Queanbeyan to be pushing past the 450k population mark. So natural demand requires expansion, to make the stadium viable for the next 20-30 years. But the World Cup should bump these stadium improvements forward a bit.
Toby
Toby

Sat May 23, 2009 12:44 pm
Thats why Canberrans went for Perth in the Sydney - Perth clash that Canberrans bused to!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum