Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can canberra support 2 teams in the future?

+13
Raider_United
mikey_porto
Sebastian
Toby
Galileo
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
(::FAQ::)
Alex351
Mickey_Raider
MinsterMan
RealCanberra23
Joey47
Chris1822
17 posters
Go down
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Can canberra support 2 teams in the future? Empty Can canberra support 2 teams in the future?

Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:24 pm
don't immediately dismiss this idea just hear me out. i'm not talking now, i'm talking 30 years time when football is up there with AFL as the biggest sport.

now i know that people will just say let's just focus on getting one tema but i believe that we can support two teams harnessing the existing rivalry between north and south canberra.

for this to happen south canberra will need to upgrade deakin stadium to around 18K but this was being discussed for a canberra a-league team not long ago so i don't see why this couldn't happen.

30 years ago canberra's population was 140K, now with 350K if the population growth continues as is canberra's population will be 900K in 30 years.

Also we need to take into account the fact that canberra really isn't dominated by any 1 sport so if the socceroos progress as they are and the a-league continue's to grow, there's no reason why canberra can't become football heartland.

i know this is just a pipedream now, but in 30 years when there's a 2nd division, i believe that a southern canberra team is possible.
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Can canberra support 2 teams in the future? Empty Re: Can canberra support 2 teams in the future?

Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:56 pm
No. Try 500 years down the track.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Can canberra support 2 teams in the future? Empty Re: Can canberra support 2 teams in the future?

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:00 pm
^^
why not?
Joey47
Joey47

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:11 pm
aleague4canberra wrote:^^
why not?

Unless both teams play at Canberra Stadium, that means a new stadium would need to be built.

Yes, our population will grow, but please look at Sydney. They have a population of 4 million plus, and they are getting terrible crowds and that is for just one team. Could you imagine Canberra with a population of maybe just 900K?

Really terrible idea IMO.
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:15 pm
Surprised

I am not sure if I am reading this right.

I could only see this happening in about 85 years. But 30 years???? You're having a laugh. 30 years really isn't that long.

AS P2BC said, terrible idea.
MinsterMan

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
I think people underestimate the North and South factor. It really would strengthen peoples bonds to the club as Canberrans all typically associate themselves with one or the other.

Bruce will be too big for either team, a redeveloped Deakin to fit 18k would be an ideal location for the south.

Look at Blackburn and Burnley. Both English Premier League clubs from areas that have no more than 200,000 population combined.

I'd like to see it soon. Before the league goes to 20 teams.
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:22 pm
MinsterMan wrote:I think people underestimate the North and South factor. It really would strengthen peoples bonds to the club as Canberrans all typically associate themselves with one or the other.

Bruce will be too big for either team, a redeveloped Deakin to fit 18k would be an ideal location for the south.

Look at Blackburn and Burnley. Both English Premier League clubs from areas that have no more than 200,000 population combined.

I'd like to see it soon. Before the league goes to 20 teams.

Okay, but in England football is their LIFE- it is their number one sport. We aren't on par with England in terms of the number of footballing interest.

We know how fickle the Canberra public can be, so just imagine: one terrible season and this "2nd Canberra team" would be a total failure.
MinsterMan

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:27 pm
Its more about how you engage with your public rather than population. That's why I feel that you get an advantage with bothe north and South, as you have greater scope to crate an emotional apeal to the respective publics.

Look at the Manchester situation. All the locals support Manchester City, because its their club; as oposted to United who do not engage with the community.
Mickey_Raider

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:28 pm
Please No

Dear me we dont even have one team! some of your hypotheticals are ridiculous even for hypotheticals.

What rivalry between south and north canberra? First ive heard of it. Upgrade deakin to 18k?

jeez its ok to have little fantasies in your head but how ridiculous, honestly.

Also, if canberra's population 30 years ago was 140k, and now it is 350k (which is probably overstating it as well), doesnt that mean that a continuation of the same pop. growth would see a projected pop. of like 550k in 30 years? for canberra to reach 900k in 30 years would require a spike of almost 20k a year.Youre having a laugh mate.
MinsterMan

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:31 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:

What rivalry between south and north canberra? First ive heard of it.
Have you ever been to Canberra?
Joey47
Joey47

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:35 pm
MinsterMan wrote:

You cannot give Deakin Stadium a 17,000 seat upgrade. Would struggle to give it a 4,000 seater upgrade. Where could you honestly expand it. There is not room for it in Deakin. The parking there is bullocks. I went there for a Kanga Cup match and couldn't get a spot that is how crap it is there.
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:43 pm
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
MinsterMan wrote:

You cannot give Deakin Stadium a 17,000 seat upgrade. Would struggle to give it a 4,000 seater upgrade. Where could you honestly expand it. There is not room for it in Deakin. The parking there is bullocks. I went there for a Kanga Cup match and couldn't get a spot that is how crap it is there.

How about expanding Mckellar Hmmm

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:48 pm
Firstly, we need a stadium for the South side. Deakin is NOT suitable.

Secondly, this would spell the beginning of the end for the A-League. People don't want Western Sydney or Melbourne who both have populations of 4 million and you are suggesting Canberra, with a population of probably about 600K by then would be suitable?

Oh, God no!!! Would love it if we got massive crowds and everything would be running great, but the bottom line is this would be a failure.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:52 pm
Football will never be as popular in Australia as AFL... im sorry but its true... a second Canberra team wouldn't be viable Please No
Galileo
Galileo

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:27 am
Mickey_Raider wrote:Please No

Dear me we dont even have one team! some of your hypotheticals are ridiculous even for hypotheticals.

What rivalry between south and north canberra? First ive heard of it. Upgrade deakin to 18k?

jeez its ok to have little fantasies in your head but how ridiculous, honestly.

Also, if canberra's population 30 years ago was 140k, and now it is 350k (which is probably overstating it as well), doesnt that mean that a continuation of the same pop. growth would see a projected pop. of like 550k in 30 years? for canberra to reach 900k in 30 years would require a spike of almost 20k a year.Youre having a laugh mate.

You have summed up every aspect of this topic perfectly. I cannot believe a topic of this has been brought up. The only difference I know from Southside and Northside, is that the Southside love the Brumbies and the northside are Raiders supporters. AS some people have stated, how on earth is expanding Deakin to 18k possible? lol.

Dumbest.idea.ever.
Toby
Toby

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:04 am
you can get anywhere within Canberra in about 40 minutes.. Canberra doesn't have the same size or traffic problems as Sydney or Melbourne so I think we can all unite just with one team..
Joey47
Joey47

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:18 am
Toby wrote:you can get anywhere within Canberra in about 40 minutes.. Canberra doesn't have the same size or traffic problems as Sydney or Melbourne so I think we can all unite just with one team..

hear,hear. Really silly idea. For us to get two teams we will need to have a population of 2.5 million, Canberra to become a bigger city (in terms of area), a new stadium, and football in Australia to become the leading sport by a country mile.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:45 am
well i stand by my statement.

the population grew by 250% in 30 years, so a 250% increase would see the population at 900K.

And i'm not talking the near future, i'm talking way way down the track. a sout canberra team in the 2nd tier.

and it's not about the size of canberra that creates the rivalry, in fact i don't know what it is but there is a big division between north and south canberra. as has been said everyone associates themselves with either north or south side. remember it's not about how many people live in the city it's about how many people associate with your club. hypothetically you could have a team in a town with a 30K population if everyone in that particular town was connected with the club.

the stadium thing yeah well i suppose that the deakin upgrade idea might be a bit farfetched but it's not out of the question as i said they were talking about upgrading it a couple of years back while talking about a canberra a-league team. i'll try to track down the articles.

anyway i stand by my statement, i do believe that way down the track canberra could support two teams.
Toby
Toby

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:52 am
aleague4canberra wrote:well i stand by my statement.

the population grew by 250% in 30 years, so a 250% increase would see the population at 900K.

And i'm not talking the near future, i'm talking way way down the track. a sout canberra team in the 2nd tier.

and it's not about the size of canberra that creates the rivalry, in fact i don't know what it is but there is a big division between north and south canberra. as has been said everyone associates themselves with either north or south side. remember it's not about how many people live in the city it's about how many people associate with your club. hypothetically you could have a team in a town with a 30K population if everyone in that particular town was connected with the club.

the stadium thing yeah well i suppose that the deakin upgrade idea might be a bit farfetched but it's not out of the question as i said they were talking about upgrading it a couple of years back while talking about a canberra a-league team. i'll try to track down the articles.

anyway i stand by my statement, i do believe that way down the track canberra could support two teams.

and maybe you are right but for the time being we have to concentrate on the first team hehe
Sebastian
Sebastian
Other football teams : Liverpool, Rangers, Leeds United

Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:47 am
nah, definantly not
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:55 am
^^
why?
mikey_porto
mikey_porto

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:09 pm
Mate, how old are you???? You are talking sh*t.
Joey47
Joey47

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:38 pm
mikey_porto wrote:Mate, how old are you???? You are talking sh*t.

Gotta agree with with you here. 2 Canberra teams has got to be one of the most stupid ideas that has been brought up on this forum.

aleague4canberra, how can you justify Canberra growing to 900K in 30 years? If we have only grown 150K in the last 30 years, then what is your proof behind us growing 550K in the next 30?

Tell me, what is this rivalry between North and South? I actually don't know any rivalry for the two, bar Southsiders preffering Rugby Union and Northsiders prefering League.

You were criticising Sydney, saying if the Western Sydneysiders wanted to watch first class football, then they could just travel 30 mins to see SFC play.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:18 pm
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:

Gotta agree with with you here. 2 Canberra teams has got to be one of the most stupid ideas that has been brought up on this forum.

aleague4canberra, how can you justify Canberra growing to 900K in 30 years? If we have only grown 150K in the last 30 years, then what is your proof behind us growing 550K in the next 30?

Tell me, what is this rivalry between North and South? I actually don't know any rivalry for the two, bar Southsiders preffering Rugby Union and Northsiders prefering League.

You were criticising Sydney, saying if the Western Sydneysiders wanted to watch first class football, then they could just travel 30 mins to see SFC play.

once again: the population grew by 250% in 30 years, so a 250% increase would see the population at 900K.

the rivalry between north and south? well how do you describe a rivalry in words?????

look we are all entitled to our own opinions on this forum, and my opinion is that later down the track canberra could support two teams.

may i remind everyone that canberra city and inter-monaro were both in the NSL at the same time a while back. and with the existing revolution of football in this country added onto the further revolution over the next 30 years or so i still standby my statement.

I would like someone to give some concrete reasons why this wouldn't work?
mikey_porto
mikey_porto

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:06 pm
aleague4canberra wrote:
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:

once again: the population grew by 250% in 30 years, so a 250% increase would see the population at 900K.

the rivalry between north and south? well how do you describe a rivalry in words?????

look we are all entitled to our own opinions on this forum, and my opinion is that later down the track canberra could support two teams.

may i remind everyone that canberra city and inter-monaro were both in the NSL at the same time a while back. and with the existing revolution of football in this country added onto the further revolution over the next 30 years or so i still standby my statement.

I would like someone to give some concrete reasons why this wouldn't work?

*clears throat*

Where do I start?

I'll tell you where! Even if we have a population of 900K, we would still get terrible crowds. Mind you, we won't be anywhere near 900K, more like 550K. These two areas are seperated by Northbourne Avenue. It is not like Western Sydney where they are seperated by 45 mins. I can only see 2 teams in one city in Sydney and Melbourne, who both have populations of 4 million.

Secondly, we have already tried this as you pointed out. Inter-Monaro and Canberra City. And how did that end? In total failure. The crowds may be a little up from those games, but really not that much.

Thirdly, rivalries do have some background to it. Just becasue there is a South canberra and a North Canberra, doesn't mean they are rivals. They'd be rivals if they hated eachother or if the two areas had historical background.

Fourthly, could you imagine the crowds? Sydney a population of 4 million, and a city with one team get pathetic crowds. As do Brisbane and Perth.

I could go on and on.

I just can't see where this idea is coming from?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum