Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Toby
Toby

Ben Buckley denies A-league Crisis Empty Ben Buckley denies A-league Crisis

Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:30 am
Football Federation Australia CEO Ben Buckley denies plans to expand the A-League are in crisis, despite the late withdrawal of one of the consortia seeking to bring a 12th side into the competition.

Buckley insisted the criteria for securing an A-League licence - most notably the financial guarantees required - were non-negotiable, and said that an 11-team competition remained a viable option.

The withdrawal of the Joe Meissner-backed group on Wednesday has left the race effectively down to the Lucas Neill-fronted consortium and the bid from Canberra, though another western Sydney group remains in negotiations.

Asked why the Meissner group had pulled out, Buckley would only say, "You'll have to ask them that". Football Federation Australia was told it was for "personal reasons".

But it is understood Meissner was given a deadline to provide financial guarantees and chose to walk away.

Buckley said the decision had not left the bid process in crisis.

"We've always said we aspire to have 12 teams, but every bidder has to meet the financial criteria and we won't issue a licence unless someone meets those requirements," he said.

"The consortium that withdrew this week was not able to meet those requirements. They knew the hurdles and couldn't clear them."

Buckley declined to comment on which of the remaining bids is favoured, but both are seen within the FFA as strong - though chairman Frank Lowy retains a strong preference to establish a team in western Sydney.

"At this point none of (the consortia) satisfy 100 per cent of the criteria, and I reiterate, we won't issue a licence unless we're completely satisfied about the financial commitment behind each club," Buckley said.

"I make no apologies for setting a high benchmark.

"Everyone has a preference for an even number of teams because it's a more balanced program. But if that's where we end up, the A-League will remain a very strong league and won't suffer."

source: foxsports.com.au

it sounds like to me they are thinking of exploring the 11 team option more and more.. why are they so against Canberra getting a team!
Pittodrie Boy
Pittodrie Boy

Ben Buckley denies A-league Crisis Empty Re: Ben Buckley denies A-league Crisis

Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:38 am
Sounds like no matter how many turn up to the game tonight,we are rooted unless Ivan S and his team can squeeze another $1 million out of prospective investors. It was reported that we are still that amount short of the start up money required.
Toby
Toby

Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:44 am
yeah, its a shame we are struggling with finances we have no real wealthy backer which is worrying
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:54 pm
Jeez... unless we get this money and quick, we will not be having an A-League team in Canberra.
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:17 pm
Neutral
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:13 pm
^
lol.

yeah the start up money is an issue but as i've said once we get accepted we'll easily acquire the required money.
Alex351
Alex351

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:15 pm
aleague4canberra wrote:^
lol.

yeah the start up money is an issue but as i've said once we get accepted we'll easily acquire the required money.

Yeah but would the FFA know Confused
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:16 pm
^^
no they wouldn't and that's a risk that it doesn't look like the FFA are willing to take.
Joey47
Joey47

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:22 pm
lol.

That is why it is called start-up money. WE can't continue to build onto the 5 million we have, with the short amount of time we have. AS soon as we get accepted we have to start looking a players, coaches and backroom staff plus sponsors.
Alex351
Alex351

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:26 pm
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
lol.

That is why it is called start-up money. WE can't continue to build onto the 5 million we have, with the short amount of time we have. AS soon as we get accepted we have to start looking a players, coaches and backroom staff plus sponsors.

When West Sydney pulled out i thought, great, we've got our team but now with the decreasing time limit and the persistence of the FFA i think they will go with the 11 team option Doubt Thumbs Down Please No .
Joey47
Joey47

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:31 pm
Alex351 wrote:
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
lol.

When West Sydney pulled out i thought, great, we've got our team but now with the decreasing time limit and the persistence of the FFA i think they will go with the 11 team option Doubt Thumbs Down Please No .

The FFA still want a team in Western Sydney, but they are unable to reach the financial requirements. If we can raise 1 more million, then we will get in- if we don't, then it will be an 11 team comp next year.
Alex351
Alex351

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:32 pm
Does anyone know when the NEW deadline is for all the bids??
Toby
Toby

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:34 pm
Alex351 wrote:
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
lol.

The forum has really experienced quite mixed emotions haha Very Happy
Toby
Toby

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:35 pm
Alex351 wrote:Does anyone know when the NEW deadline is for all the bids??

There isn't a set date to my knowledge, more a beginning of next month at the latest
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:43 pm
deadline, ATM i think that the deadline is for whenever we get our money sorted out.
Alex351
Alex351

Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:53 am
Is there a rich guy in Canberra that will give us a million dollars quickly??
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:58 am
^^
i got a couple of hundred in my wallet? Doubt

let's put our heads together, which big businesses are there in canberra?
Alex351
Alex351

Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:01 am
real estate.......building developers... Hmmm
Swagman
Swagman

Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:34 am
Given that there are 2 Hyundai Dealers in Canberra are we seeing anything from them? I went to the one in Phillip back in July and was met with bored indifference (or was it disinterest?) so I ended up buying a Mitsubishi but I'd have hoped they would have come in with some incentive to Foundation members or some form of backing for the bid.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum