Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Crumbs, Canberra has won?-Nearpost Empty Crumbs, Canberra has won?-Nearpost

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:40 am
So we didn't get the 12th licence purely it seems because we weren't called Western Sydney.

And the FFA has certainly angered many Canberrans with their process of selection. If indeed there was ever a process.

But when the dust settles many will agree, the Canberra Bid Committee although failing in their aim to get the 12th licence has moved Canberra back into the world of professional football...at least in intent.

And in time it will be this bid, this committee that will have done the ground work for a future professional team, one in my view that still needs a way better model if a team is ever to survive and flourish in Canberra...as I believe it can.

The momentum of the bid, resulted in 20,000 turning up to watch the Socceroos, the community actually realising what "the A-League" was, and perhaps the biggest achievement was to look to the future and away from the "we've failed with the Cosmos" era. No mean acheivements in Canberra!

Many have criticised the Committee, myself included, for failing to maintain the momentum of the Socceroos crowd, for failing to get the money needed, and for failing to attract the right people on to the committee in the first place, and maybe for not going hard enough to the FFA after that Socceroos game when we were at our strongest point, in terms of community and financial support.

Now is the time for Ivan Slavich to review those on the Committee and those who can or will take the bid forward. Will Ivan remain? He should. I can attest to the hours upon hours he has put into to make this thing happen. Ivan's drive and energy has been an eye-opener although I had some disagreements along the way; that is normal I guess.

And if the FFA are to be believed, and I don't believe them, Canberra will be the 13th team in the league.

Hmmmm nice thought, but if we are to be that team, why not give us a date for entry no matter how far away.

The sop from the FFA that we are to get more A-League games and Internationals is just that a meaningless sop to a region the FFA has treated appallingly in my view. They certainly haven't assisted the game to grow in this region by their sham of a licence process.

Indeed right now the thought of more A-League games in Canberra seems like a waste of time. And the link with the Mariners seems to distract us from the main game: A team of our own and as a subsidiary a pathway for our young players.

Is it time for the Bid Committee to disband or do they have the ability to take and build on the momentum; a momentum which in most people's view has died. There is the answer for the Committee members I guess, although I'm in favour of new energy around Ivan should he remain.

The way ahead?

A Youth team in the A-League would be a better sop from the FFA. It would enable us a pathway for our players so when our team comes in, if it ever does, we have a pool of players ready to go, an administration in place and a community able to get behind a team, a brand and keep some of the A-League4Canberra momentum.

Further the Boomerangs Futsal and Canberra United W-League should all be branded as one, formed into one club, to promote the elite football from the region.

The Bid Committee if they remain needs to reenergise and force some answers from the FFA. Are they up to the task? Where they ever able to galvanise the community?

When will the FFA give us our start date.
What will they do to assist us. A youth team is a bigger priority than more A-League games. We don't want A-League games and will not support them in the numbers required to build a successful brand in Canberra.

Any volunteer A-League committee do not have the energy to promote of finance A-League Mariner games. They are a distraction to the main cause of our own A-League team. Capital Football clearly dont have the communication or resources to throwing behind the Mariners games to ensure 10,000 people turn-up..do drop the games!

And my final thought:
Who will the develop a business model that is really sustainable, reveal it to the community and take this Bid to a new level?

We have the time now, no pressure of Bid races etc, so let's go to stage two once the dust has settled and build on the Memberships, the 13400 pledges, the regional support, the 100 Ambassadors, the clubs of the ACT and the goodwill of many many volunteers who gave up their time to promote this thing.

We have a large database of emails, paid-up members, volunteers etc etc, there needs to be some thought given to how best to bring this community along and of course more importantly the business acumen and finances required for a team to succeed.

In the long-term view: Did the Canberra Committee succeed or fail?
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Crumbs, Canberra has won?-Nearpost Empty Re: Crumbs, Canberra has won?-Nearpost

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:51 am
Doubt

I'm truly concerned ATM. By all reports it doesn't sound certain this bid will be continuing its momentum. ACT Government could be pulling out.

Is our bid turning into nothing?

If the FFA just gave us a provisional licence we would not be talking about this.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:58 am
^^
exactly right, do the FFA really want to lose this bid? why don't they just give us a provisional licence for a date set in the future (i don't care if it's 2014) at least we have something to work towards.
(::FAQ::)

Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:01 pm
As you two have said, the FFA giving us a provisional licence really does secure us for future and we will not lose potential backers and more importantly community support.
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:02 pm
have they given us a provisional licence?
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:44 am
Good post! I agree we need get a club name "to build the brand" so people have something to identify with. My thoughts:

1. Keep Ivan - he's an asset.
2. Yes I heard Ben Buckley say the FFA would assist us getting ready for an A-League license. What does this mean?? will FFA working with Ivan or Capital Football?

When our chance comes (I hopefully predict 2012) we need to be ready! For example just look at the Gold Coast you can have all the $$$ in the world but without community support it doesn't mean much.
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:29 am
Alex351 wrote:have they given us a provisional licence?

Not really. They have said we are priority for the next licence and no date has been confirmed as yet. It is actually like a Provisional licence without being called it. If the FFA just gave us one then loads of support will come back and investors.

Pete wrote:Good post! I agree we need get a club name "to build the brand" so people have something to identify with. My thoughts:

2. Yes I heard Ben Buckley say the FFA would assist us getting ready for an A-League license. What does this mean?? will FFA working with Ivan or Capital Football?

When our chance comes (I hopefully predict 2012) we need to be ready! For example just look at the Gold Coast you can have all the $$$ in the world but without community support it doesn't mean much.

Ivan Slavich has said he will continue as hard as ever to get that licence, so he is definitely still on board. Buckley is working with the A-League 4 Canberra group as well as the ACT Government.

I agree with point you made about giving us a team name right now. It would definitely be a benefit, with possible more sponsors to jump on board.
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:02 am
See West Sydney (aka Sydney Rovers) let their name slip and you already see people using their logo and talking about their potential team. That's what we need to do to keep things moving!!
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:25 pm
pete wrote:See West Sydney (aka Sydney Rovers) let their name slip and you already see people using their logo and talking about their potential team. That's what we need to do to keep things moving!!

Exactly right, just because we didn't get the 12th license doesn't mean we can't start building a club for the 13th spot.
Raider_United
Raider_United

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:58 pm
Bloody FFA. They aren't giving us a provisional licence because they aren't planning on having more than 12 teams for many years. When we have a team, they want it to be in the B-League. They have even said "If we go past 12 teams".

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:05 pm
pete wrote:Good post! I agree we need get a club name "to build the brand" so people have something to identify with. My thoughts:

Hey yea. Am surprised that this hasn't been brough up on the forum yet. Good idea. Why the hell aren't we given a name yet? We saw it with the two back-up bids in Gold Coast Galaxy and Northern Thunder and then Melbourne Heart. It will bring in support.
Toby
Toby

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:47 pm
yeah I agree that step is a good one.. however the harder thing is too keep momentum for the next three years?? how the hell are we going to do that?? there is only so much we can do without a liscence...
celtic_7

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:50 am
IMO, if the FFA continue to work hard with the Government then the gov will continue to push for the bid, if the FFA don't well then that is another story...
Galileo
Galileo

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:59 am
Does anyone seriously trust the FFA on their comments about Canberra "being and obvious priority"? Especially when he said "if we go that further." I reckon the only possible way we will come in is if Wellington get ommited or if a B-League is established.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:03 am
^^
i do, somehow after all these shenanigans with western sydney, having them out of the way really has me thinking that we're top dog now.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:36 pm
it is exactly right... we've won this competetion... it was only because the FFA are bed-buddies with West Sydney
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum