Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

South Coast bid back on track? Empty South Coast bid back on track?

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:23 pm
New Western Grandstand for WIN Stadium

16 October 2009

Premier Nathan Rees today visited Wollongong’s WIN Stadium to announce a $28.9 million commitment to build a brand new Western Grandstand.

The Premier was joined by local MPs David Campbell and Noreen Hay, Sports Minister Kevin Greene, St George-Illawarra Dragons coach Wayne Bennet and CEO Peter Doust.

Mr Rees said that the Government’s investment in WIN Stadium would generate a wide range of benefits for the local economy.

“This is a fantastic boost to the Illawarra’s economy and will deliver an additional 640 direct and indirect full time jobs,” Mr Rees said.

“This massive investment will bring WIN Stadium up to a world-class standard and allow Wollongong to compete for a new range of national and international sporting and entertainment events.”

The 50 year old Grandstand will be replaced by a new two tiered stand with 6,170 new covered seats and increasing capacity at the ground by 3,758 to 23,150.

Mr Rees said that the old grandstand had clearly reached the end of its life.

“The new stand means significantly improved facilities for footy fans and players, as well as those who’ll be flocking to hire the stadium to stage big events,” Mr Rees said.

Wollongong MP Noreen Hay welcomed the investment in WIN Stadium and the local economy.

“This investment has been needed here for some time and I’m pleased to see the Premier has listened and taken action,” Ms Hay said.

“WIN Stadium will now become an international concert and entertainment facility.

“Events like Australia’s bid for the Soccer World cup as well as opportunities across retail, corporate hospitality and function and conferencing programs will all open up to us.”

The project is expected to take 3 years to complete, and will also see small refurbishment works on the Southern Stand.

Dragons CEO Peter Doust said the announcement to upgrade the Western Grandstand at WIN Stadium is great news and will go a long way to enhancing our confidence in the long-term future of the Dragons in the region.

“The Dragons have always been committed to playing rugby league in Wollongong, it is a key element in our overall strategic plan,” he said.

-------------

The main reason why they weren't interested in a South Coast bid was because of the stadium issue.

So what are your thoughts?
(::FAQ::)
(::FAQ::)

South Coast bid back on track? Empty Re: South Coast bid back on track?

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:13 pm
I still don't think this western stand upgrade will give them the edge. They would need to do something abouth the East.
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:21 pm
As far as the A-League goes Canberra will be ahead of any Wollongong bid.

No offence but WIN stadium other grandstands are in a bad condition. I seriously doubt the FFA would consider it. I still think we'll replace Wellington in a 12 team league.
Toby
Toby

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:11 pm
I think it could be a Canberra and South Coast entry to 14 teams..
Raider_United
Raider_United

Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:01 am
I actually trust that FFA's comments that we are "priority" for next expansion spot. I think it is just a matter of the battle between South Coast and Tasmania, who both are in stadium crisis'.
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:01 am
I don't reckon the A-League will go to 14 teams (certainly not in the next 10-15 years) unless we get a massive TV rights $$ increase. Look at the amount professional sports teams at the moment:

AFL - 16 going to 18 clubs
NRL - 16 clubs
A-League - 10 going to 12 clubs
Super 14 - 4 going to 5 clubs
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:46 am
i think the upgrade was for the Dragons if anything!!!
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:27 am
Yeah i'm with raider-united here about the priority thing.

Assuming we get the money the FFA will work with us to ensure that we get the 13th licence because they know that the way we were treated with the westernsydneygate scandal, was wrong.
Joey47
Joey47

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 am
Yea I agree with the comment above. I think the FFA have to slow down the amount of teams in NSW. It is evident, CCM, NJ and SFC are struggling with crowds. Then we have Sydney Rovers coming in. Canberra are the "obvious priority".
Toby
Toby

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:20 pm
The FFA won't settle on a 13 team comp though.. it will either be 14 or the A2
Joey47
Joey47

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:32 pm
Toby wrote:The FFA won't settle on a 13 team comp though.. it will either be 14 or the A2

I can see where you are coming from but for next year they are going with just an 11 team comp- so why not 13? AS has been said in other threads, the 11 team comp could be preparing for the ommision of Wellington.
Toby
Toby

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:58 pm
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
Toby wrote:The FFA won't settle on a 13 team comp though.. it will either be 14 or the A2

I can see where you are coming from but for next year they are going with just an 11 team comp- so why not 13? AS has been said in other threads, the 11 team comp could be preparing for the ommision of Wellington.

I don't think so... Wellington are here to stay and we all saw how hard the FFA tried to get Western Sydney in next year.. what I am wondering is if the FFA will be satisfied with a 12 team top comp? lets be honest if we have a 14 team top comp then who is going to form the "b-league"?? ok a team from south coast, tasmania.... who else though?? If they dont look at the state teams that already exist or teams from overseas then I believe we simply wont have enough options for a second league..
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:26 pm
This expansion is purely for the Dragons.
That said, Wollongong have the best stadium at the moment for football. It's really close to the pitch, it has a hill and it's the most picturesque ground in the country.
As for fixing the eastern stand - you can't. It's a hill and the Saints would never get rid of it: it's the spiritual home of the Dragon Army.
pete
pete

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:43 pm
It appears I'm wrong and it could be 14 teams??

"Lowy also said along with an aim to eventually expand to a 14-team A-League, there were plans to introduce a second division in the "not too distant future"

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/australia/lowy-calls-for-free-to-air-deal-248021

Confused
Joey47
Joey47

Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:01 pm
It sounds as though they will really slow up the expansion. We won't come in for a while TBH.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum