Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New ACT stadium in World Cup bid

+11
BrotherEstapol
efcmetro1878
Toby
Alex351
AlmostAsGoodAsBarca
TheBigMan
Sebastian
price@Anfield888
Chris1822
Gate7
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
15 posters
Go down
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

New ACT stadium in World Cup bid Empty New ACT stadium in World Cup bid

Sat May 29, 2010 4:53 pm
New ACT stadium in World Cup bid

JOHN-PAUL MOLONEY

A new $270 million rectangular stadium will ensure Canberra will be one of the biggest winners if Australia secures the hosting rights to a soccer World Cup.

This vision of a new stadium which could potentially host a World Cup quarter-final is now sitting on the desks of international soccer's governing body.

The Football Federation Australia and the Federal Government confirmed yesterday that Canberra would get a 40,000-seat stadium if Australia won the rights to the 2018 or 2022 tournaments.

The new stadium, understood to cost $270million, would take three years to build and would sit alongside the existing Canberra Stadium. The ACT Government would contribute $100million in current dollars to the construction.

The stadium would be part of a massive nationwide upgrade of football grounds at an overall cost of $2.8billion.

Ten host cities from around the country have been selected from and put forward by a federation FIFA delegation at FIFA's headquarters in Zurich overnight.

Canberra, Perth and Sydney are the three cities slated to receive new stadiums, while Melbourne, Geelong, Townsville, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Brisbane and two other stadiums in Sydney will be upgraded. Canberra's 40,000 capacity would be temporary, reduced to a more appropriate 27,000 after the tournament.

ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope said last night the territory was committed to the stadium project, although it would only go ahead if the bid was successful. ''A major stadium of this type would obviously be well beyond the capacity of the ACT to afford by itself and this is an opportunity if the bid succeeds to secure a magnificent piece of sporting infrastructure for the territory,'' Mr Stanhope said.

In its bid documents the Football Federation Australia has listed potential matches each stadium could host. All grounds are listed as potential hosts of group stage, round of 16 and quarter-finals.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/lo ... 30922.aspx
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

New ACT stadium in World Cup bid Empty Re: New ACT stadium in World Cup bid

Sat May 29, 2010 4:54 pm
New ACT stadium in World Cup bid 783517

An artist's impression of the proposed $270 million stadium.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Sat May 29, 2010 4:56 pm
IMO... i think they should keep the capacity at 40,000 and not downgrade it to 27,000... No 1, because bigger stadium = bigger events = bigger crowds
No 2, Why The F*** would they build it if they are just going to have a 27,000 next to a 25,000 stadium... are they going to demolish the old one?? I just dont get it
Gate7
Gate7
Other football teams : Olympiakos

Sat May 29, 2010 10:28 pm
JohnLovesCanberraUnited wrote:IMO... i think they should keep the capacity at 40,000 and not downgrade it to 27,000... No 1, because bigger stadium = bigger events = bigger crowds
No 2, Why The F*** would they build it if they are just going to have a 27,000 next to a 25,000 stadium... are they going to demolish the old one?? I just dont get it

it wont be pointless, they r converting canberra stadium into an afl/cricket ground. so there will be a 27,000 seat football stadium next to a 20,000 seat afl/cricket ground (the capacity will be reduced in order to convert it). I personally hope it all goes through.
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Sun May 30, 2010 1:24 pm
what gate7 said, the legacy for football in canberra will be great with a purpose built football specific stadium for our team (that we will surely have by then right?)

they shouldn't keep it at 40K because imagine the atmosphere at canberra a-league games with around 12K (optimistic/pessimistic i don't know) a quarter full. not good
Gate7
Gate7
Other football teams : Olympiakos

Sun May 30, 2010 6:46 pm
this is another view of what it will look like this time with canberra stadium converted into afl ground

New ACT stadium in World Cup bid R376653_1751841
price@Anfield888
price@Anfield888
Other football teams : LiverpoolF.C and CelticF.C

Mon May 31, 2010 9:01 pm
Schimch@capital hill wrote:what gate7 said, the legacy for football in canberra will be great with a purpose built football specific stadium for our team (that we will surely have by then right?)

they shouldn't keep it at 40K because imagine the atmosphere at canberra a-league games with around 12K (optimistic/pessimistic i don't know) a quarter full. not good

I like your hope but still unless Canberra Stadium is converted it would be stupid, also despite the change i still dont like the projection of having two 20,000+ capacity stadiums right next to each other.
price@Anfield888
price@Anfield888
Other football teams : LiverpoolF.C and CelticF.C

Mon May 31, 2010 9:04 pm
JohnLovesCanberraUnited wrote:New ACT stadium in World Cup bid 783517

An artist's impression of the proposed $270 million stadium.

Maybe its because its a cartoon and an artists prediction but the new stadium looks ugly
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:19 pm
Schimch@capital hill wrote:

umm... HELLO???... canberra a-league is coming in 5 years or so, there is something called the Brumbies, Raiders, Wallabies, Socceroos (hopefully), crowds and support for the brumbies and raiders are going up and with a bigger stadium, we'd get more socceroos games!!! plus they shouldnt make the old oval anAFL oval but they should just upgrade Manuka Oval, and build the new canbera stadium where the current one is
Sebastian
Sebastian
Other football teams : Liverpool, Rangers, Leeds United

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:27 pm
i gotta say, i agree with john. keep the capacity at 40,000, it means Canberra can host bigger events and with the Molonglo Valley set to house 80,000 people, canberra needs a big stadium, and i would also like to see the government keep Manuka Oval as Canberra's premier AFL and cricket oval.
TheBigMan
TheBigMan
Other football teams : Millwall, Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:31 pm
KEEP IT AT 40,000!!!!!!
AlmostAsGoodAsBarca
AlmostAsGoodAsBarca
Other football teams : Barcalona, Melbourne Victory

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:38 pm
i am originally from Melbourne so i am an AFL man as well as football, but they should not make the current canberra stadium into an AFL field and lay waste to the ACT's home of cricket and AFL turn into a community oval.
They should also not downsize it from 40000 to 27000,and as a response to your comment about atmosphere Schmich, the stands would be closer to the field so we (the crowd) would be closer to the action but also any chants and so on we do, the players would be able to hear better, and because 80% of the new stadium is roofed, it would still create a great atmosphere!!!
Chris1822
Chris1822

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:19 pm
AlmostAsGoodAsBarca wrote:i am originally from Melbourne so i am an AFL man as well as football, but they should not make the current canberra stadium into an AFL field and lay waste to the ACT's home of cricket and AFL turn into a community oval.
They should also not downsize it from 40000 to 27000,and as a response to your comment about atmosphere Schmich, the stands would be closer to the field so we (the crowd) would be closer to the action but also any chants and so on we do, the players would be able to hear better, and because 80% of the new stadium is roofed, it would still create a great atmosphere!!!

so brisbane roar at suncorp means nothing to you?

they're closer to the game, roof over head, atmosphere is awful
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:18 pm
AlmostAsGoodAsBarca wrote:i am originally from Melbourne so i am an AFL man as well as football, but they should not make the current canberra stadium into an AFL field and lay waste to the ACT's home of cricket and AFL turn into a community oval.

suncorp stadium is a 55,000 seat MEGA STADIUM that is made to have huge crowds fill it (Broncos, SoO)... our stadium would be 40,000 and im sure the planners would do some of their magic touches to create an atmosphere even without a big crowd
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:39 pm
JohnLovesCanberraUnited wrote:

suncorp stadium is a 55,000 seat MEGA STADIUM that is made to have huge crowds fill it (Broncos, SoO)... our stadium would be 40,000 and im sure the planners would do some of their magic touches to create an atmosphere even without a big crowd

that post=fail

40K is=mega stadium for canberra

brisbane population=2 million

canberra population=350K

i can't even begin to disect the points that you are missing in this thread.

having 3 in 4 seats empty at stadium will always equal crap atmoshpere and no designer can change that with "magic touches", i have no idea where you got this idea from?

remember people boutique rectangular stadiums is how the mls/j-league have built there game and canberra will do the same when it downgrades capacity to upgrade atmosphere/suitability.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:25 pm

that post=fail

canberra population=350K

having 3 in 4 seats empty at stadium will always equal crap atmoshpere and no designer can change that with "magic touches", i have no idea where you got this idea from?

remember people boutique rectangular stadiums is how the mls/j-league have built there game and canberra will do the same when it downgrades capacity to upgrade atmosphere/suitability.

yer lol i just read my post again and realised it was stupid Razz but how are we going to get big events if we have a piss weak capacity like 27,000...AGAIN. plus i reckon the brisbane roar should play at ballymore because they r out of their minds if they think that it is sustanible to stay at suncorp.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:45 pm

that post=fail

canberra population=350K

yer lol i just read my post again and realised it was stupid Razz but how are we going to get big events if we have a piss weak capacity like 27,000...AGAIN. plus i reckon the brisbane roar should play at ballymore because they r out of their minds if they think that it is sustanible to stay at suncorp.

another wrong post

capacity of 27k will hold canberra in good stead for asian cup qualifiers and such how bad would it look if we don't fill a 27K stadium? let alone a 40K one???

ballymore is an awful stadium, with awful facilities and awful transport. By moving from the state of the art suncorp to ballymore they would lose so many fans and sponsors.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:56 am

that post=fail

canberra population=350K

another wrong post

capacity of 27k will hold canberra in good stead for asian cup qualifiers and such how bad would it look if we don't fill a 27K stadium? let alone a 40K one???

well then again, Wellington has 386,000 living there about the same as here and theyve got a 35,000 stadium (Westpac Stadium),
but i know exactly where you are coming from but Canberra is the fastest growing city in Australia and the new district of Molonglo Valley is already being built and will allow 80,000 people to live in inner canberra and extremely close to Canberra Stadium, so how about you stop thinking about now and think about the future!
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:06 pm
I understand both points of view but i reckon it should stay 40,000 because it will attract major sporting events and so what if the stadium isn't full? It doesn't really matter, sure lack of atmosphere but i would rather watch the soccerroos in a world class stadium.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:02 pm
^^^^^

very diplomatic alex.. well done clap
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:55 pm
JohnLovesCanberraUnited wrote:^^^^^

very diplomatic alex.. well done clap

haha yer
Toby
Toby

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:47 pm
I think we should be looking at what the NQF model is because I can see similarities between the two (not just the green).. I think if we can get public support as they have then we will be a success. I think 40 000 is about right to handle the bigger games but still being alright if we pull in 10 000 + for each a-league game
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:34 pm
But 10k in a 26k stadium is a hell of a lot better than that in a 40k stadium.

we need to build a community club in canberra and having that atmosphere is crucial to maintaining that sense of community
Toby
Toby

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:47 pm
Yes I agree but I think you are still thinking small because who wants to be turned away for socceroos games, ACL games etc etc because the stadium isn't big enough?
Chris1822
Chris1822

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:27 pm
Well may I remind you that while our 20032 for the Kuwait game was great it was still about5k off a sellout and you can't accurately predict whether the game's popularity will rise 50% in Canberra to sell out the 30k venue even
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum