Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Melbourne Heart... Why?

+15
Nonno Gomes
Mickey_Raider
thom_canberra
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
the head
Toby
Yid_Army
bypopulardemand
BrotherEstapol
timmy
MinsterMan
Admin_Capital Punishment
Chris1822
Joey47
Raider_United
19 posters
Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Melbourne Heart... Why? - Page 2 Empty Re: Melbourne Heart... Why?

Thu May 14, 2009 6:10 pm
What was the reasoning behind the name of the team?
the head
the head
Location : Duffy. That's where I live mofo. Where I do my thing.

Fri May 15, 2009 12:42 pm
JohnLovesCanberraUnited wrote:what a stupid name
Melbourne Heart... that's worse than anything ive heard

Fury?
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Fri May 15, 2009 4:22 pm
I dont think the team will actually be called "Melbourne Heart" i think its just the bid name, it will probs be something like Melbourne City
Mickey_Raider

Sat May 16, 2009 9:21 am
aleague4canberra wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^

apparently there is a lot of football fans in melbourne that don't support MV because of ethnic ties, so a melbourne rivalry would be sure to ignite racial tensions

What racial ties? Did you do a survey of the fan demographic and their ethnicity? This is an argument that you continue to bring up about melbourne and you continue to do so without any basis. Look, there were a plethora of ethnic-based problems in the old NSL. Do you know why? because the clubs participating were founded by the immigrants of a certain ethnic group and the ethnic culture had developed over a number of years. E.g marconi Stallions. The club was formerly known as Marconi Fairfield; the name comes from Guglielmo Marconi, the Italian inventor of the radio, and Fairfield (New South Wales), the city in which the club plays. The club was founded in 1958 by an Italian social club called Club Marconi, and was primarily backed and supported by Italians and Italian-Australians living in Sydney (wikipedia)

It is the same in Canberra with clubs like Canberra FC (Croatian), Oconnor Knights (Croatian), White Eagles (serbian), Queanbeyan (Macedonian), narrabundah (Spanish) and Olympic (Greek). These are all clubs with strong ethinc influence and affiliation.

However, as we know, in Melbourne they are VERY passionate bout sport and football. Just lolok at the AFL every week. Also, remember when Australia played Greece in a one off friendly a few years back? Packed house. their fanaticism could lead to an intense rivalry between the two sets of fans, but to say that it would be a product of ethnic tensions in bull.
Nonno Gomes
Nonno Gomes

Sat May 16, 2009 10:27 am
Mickey_Raider wrote:
aleague4canberra wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^

apparently there is a lot of football fans in melbourne that don't support MV because of ethnic ties, so a melbourne rivalry would be sure to ignite racial tensions

What racial ties? Did you do a survey of the fan demographic and their ethnicity? This is an argument that you continue to bring up about melbourne and you continue to do so without any basis. Look, there were a plethora of ethnic-based problems in the old NSL. Do you know why? because the clubs participating were founded by the immigrants of a certain ethnic group and the ethnic culture had developed over a number of years. E.g marconi Stallions. The club was formerly known as Marconi Fairfield; the name comes from Guglielmo Marconi, the Italian inventor of the radio, and Fairfield (New South Wales), the city in which the club plays. The club was founded in 1958 by an Italian social club called Club Marconi, and was primarily backed and supported by Italians and Italian-Australians living in Sydney (wikipedia)

It is the same in Canberra with clubs like Canberra FC (Croatian), Oconnor Knights (Croatian), White Eagles (serbian), Queanbeyan (Macedonian), narrabundah (Spanish) and Olympic (Greek). These are all clubs with strong ethinc influence and affiliation.

However, as we know, in Melbourne they are VERY passionate bout sport and football. Just lolok at the AFL every week. Also, remember when Australia played Greece in a one off friendly a few years back? Packed house. their fanaticism could lead to an intense rivalry between the two sets of fans, but to say that it would be a product of ethnic tensions in bull.

well put. someone ethnic bases = violence in this country. there is no denying the crucial role of immigrants in making australia what it is today. some argue that immigrants have been the backbone of this land since WWII. how many of you out there have had a coffee or a pizza or a laksa this week? but time and time again i here the same old scare mongering ethnically founded teams = violence. it sounds like the US "nuclear power = nuclear weapons". i'll have you know as a science student at university that weapons grade uranium (in some cases plutonium) must be approx 95/96% pure. but power grade uranium can be only 2-3% pure. it takes a hell of a lot of time and effore and energy to make 3% uranium into 95% uranium, so there is no threat from power grade uraium of nuclear weapons.

i would like to hear more opinions on this matter of ethnic clubs.
Mickey_Raider

Sat May 16, 2009 10:43 am
yeah, im not so much debating the problem with ethnic based football influence in the country, more the potential presence of this in the A-League. IMO the league has well and truly put this behind us.

i think that you seem to be saying that the 'ethnic' card was and is used by people as a scare tactic and to try and indicate that ethnic football influence= a predetermined recipe for disaster. To a certain extent, your point is valid. But you must understand that some of the ethnic tensions inherent in Australian football are not feasible in a national scale competition.

believe me, even if you went to a White eagles v canberra FC match in canberra, i would bet a few dollars that there would be some form of trouble.

no one is debating the influence of immigrants in Australia lol. We are all immigrants after all.
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Sat May 16, 2009 10:54 am
well the melbourne heart bid is led by peter sidwell so is that an indication that there will be no ethnic tensions?
Mickey_Raider

Sat May 16, 2009 11:18 am
No its not an indication of anything. I dont undertand your question.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sat May 16, 2009 1:23 pm
well if the bid was led by costa bobalopolous, would that make a difference?
Nonno Gomes
Nonno Gomes

Sat May 16, 2009 3:54 pm
what if there was a team with a strong brazilian influence would we be harping on about the dangers of ethnic violence then????
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sat May 16, 2009 6:30 pm
no because there isn't a large brazilian population anywhere in australia
Mickey_Raider

Sun May 17, 2009 9:09 am
what if there was a team with a strong brazilian influence would we be harping on about the dangers of ethnic violence then????

:?: :?: :?: ummmm well if there was reason to harp on about it i would...like if crowd riots occurred within this brazilian club.
(::FAQ::)
(::FAQ::)

Sun May 17, 2009 11:11 am
It is bloody simple aleague4canberra, in one of your earlier posts you said that a lot of the old South Melbourne supporters will go for Melbourne Heart...

That is not the case. As you said they are run by Peter Sidwell. So there will be no ethnic tensions AT ALL.

As Mickey said, it is who it is named after or who runs the club.

You're a bit of a yo-yo, you jump from one side of the argument to another.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun May 17, 2009 1:39 pm
hey i'm just trying to get converstion happening, yo-yo or no yo-yo
Gerrards_Homies808
Gerrards_Homies808
Other football teams : Liverpool F.C.& Celtic F.C.

Sun May 17, 2009 9:39 pm
Its gonna happen eventually with Sydney city wanting another team as well as Melbourne the only problems with their decision is that its gonna screw Victory and is stupid in that respect but also that they picked the S#*t?!t name ever.
the head
the head
Location : Duffy. That's where I live mofo. Where I do my thing.

Mon May 18, 2009 9:24 am
I actually think that Heart and Victory sharing a stadium in Melbourne will work a treat. Bring it on.
arinceo
arinceo

Mon May 18, 2009 1:20 pm
The team won't actually be named Melbourne Heart, it is just a temporary name that will be changed when the consortium is granted the licence. At present they are probably more focused on securing funds rather than what the name will be.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon May 18, 2009 6:32 pm
malbourne heart and MV will share the new rectangular stadium that will hold 32K.
MinsterMan

Mon May 18, 2009 6:38 pm
arinceo wrote:The team won't actually be named Melbourne Heart, it is just a temporary name that will be changed when the consortium is granted the licence. At present they are probably more focused on securing funds rather than what the name will be.

Correct.

I actually saw an interview a while back where a consortium representative said they would be putting he club name up for a vote amounst supporters.

Id like to know what theyd do if the supporters voted by a massive majority to call the club 'Melbourne Croatia'.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon May 18, 2009 8:05 pm
^^^
lol, i think that it has been decided as melbourne city, decent name if you ask me
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Mon May 18, 2009 11:30 pm
hmm yea next two teams:

Melbourne City
Canberra Athletic

Sounds good!
MinsterMan

Tue May 19, 2009 10:35 am
Last I read was this:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25238429-2883,00.html

Pretty sure no name has been decided upon, and unless they've changed their mind it will be decided by the fans.

I read a lot of this stuff and Im I reckon I would have heard if they had have chosen a name which would be big news.
Toby
Toby

Sat May 23, 2009 1:01 pm
Just something completely different which I have only just thought of, Isn't it a little unfair that the Melbourne Heart mob got the nod ages ago so they will have THAT MUCH more time then us to prepare the team then say us, if we get the nod in June??
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Sat May 23, 2009 9:14 pm
I completely agree with you tobster, Canberra would have won the bid if they decided on the 12th spot in the in the last 6 months or so.

I wasnt saying they would call it Melbourne City Ijust think that would be a good name, I have also heard it will be decided upon from the fans.
arinceo
arinceo

Sun May 24, 2009 1:36 pm
Melbourne haven't been oficially granted the licence, they just have exclusive negotiating rights I believe. The reason that they were granted those rights is because they have their finance altogether, we don't.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum