Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Hard to persuade other players to Canberra? Empty Hard to persuade other players to Canberra?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:32 pm
i love Canberra so much and this thread is me not be bagging the place out or anything. It is just what I continuously hear from people about bagging Canberra.

Firstly, whenever I talk to people from interstate all they say is how crap Canberra is because it is "boring" and it is "cold". And TBH, I am concerned that we will not be able to approach big name players if we get and A-League team.

This happens with the canberra Raiders. I always hear fans, commentators and more worryingly some players bagging the place.

I remember there was an article in some football magazine and they were saying that this is one thing that might effect our success and even bid.

So, do you agree with these so called "experts" or do you believe that we will be in as good situation as other clubs?

Also, will we have to bank on the AIS for a lot of our players. We see with the Raiders that a lot of there players are just 18 year old country boys and they have to bank on them because they can't get stars from other clubs.

I am hoping that the beautiful summer in Canberra will help us get some great players.
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Hard to persuade other players to Canberra? Empty Re: Hard to persuade other players to Canberra?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:38 pm
I think Canberra is a perfectly suitable place for an A-League team and our winter is much more similar to European climate which would be perfect for European players coming back, even though the season is in summer...
Joey47
Joey47

Hard to persuade other players to Canberra? Empty Re: Hard to persuade other players to Canberra?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:31 pm
Yea, just a reminder that isn't my view it is just what i always hear from articles, journalists etc.
Yid_Army
Yid_Army

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:41 am
We could always pay them lots of money :D
pikesteer

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:15 pm
well being a hole hasnt exactly hurt manchester - we just have to be as good as them i suppose
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:42 pm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

are you calling canberra a hole?

and why can't canberra get a big investor on board like tasmania have?
tammaja
tammaja

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:32 am
why do we need 2 spend all of our $ on players,we Should be focusing on developing CANBERRANS and australians, not foreign players, so shouldnt we spend on better coaching staff???
Chris1822
Chris1822

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:14 pm
^^^^^^^^^^^^

good point. i'd rather us invest in three or four canberra youngsters than some old has been foreigner.
Joey47
Joey47

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:40 pm
We don't want to be a developing ground do we? We need some foreigners.. not old ones but young ones who have a future in the game.

We can't just be a team made up of AIS players. Yes get a few but not an AIS/average Aussies team.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:27 pm
i'd like our team to be a mix of overseas aussies and AIS players
Gerrards_Homies808
Gerrards_Homies808
Other football teams : Liverpool F.C.& Celtic F.C.

Sun May 03, 2009 12:02 am
I noticed before when Canberra and Manchester was Quote "a HOLE' well what about the most successful club in england (Liverpool) now ive been to Anfield and the area around it is so big a hole u need ice picks and climbing gear to get out of it and that didnt hurt LFC am i right.
Toby
Toby

Sun May 03, 2009 2:33 am
The Canberra heat will be an obstacle for European based players who are in their 30's but hey Robbie Fowler is meant to be getting used to it and believe me its worse in NQ, we dont even have humidity.. ideally I would like one big european name (crowd puller and entertainer), a couple of asian players (Based on how much money they would ask for I would say Chinese, Uzbek or South East Asian,(J-league, K-league and 2nd Div Japanese players are well beyond the budget) and the bulk of the squad being around 26 - 28 years old (more likely to be loyal to the club) I would also pick around 4 or 5 young AIS players.
langers
langers

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:12 pm
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
Firstly, whenever I talk to people from interstate all they say is how crap Canberra is because it is "boring" and it is "cold". And TBH, I am concerned that we will not be able to approach big name players if we get and A-League team.

This happens with the canberra Raiders. I always hear fans, commentators and more worryingly some players bagging the place.

This goes in cycles though. In the early to mid 90's the Raiders had arguably the best team in the world at the time. Meninga, Daley, Mullins, Belcher, Stuart, Furner, Clyde etc...
I think if the club is good and has a good club culture and good support, players will look at Canberra as a good option and not let their decision be swayed by the weather
Toby
Toby

Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:53 pm
Re-reading through my post I realise that Melbourne Victory have a similar setup to what I was talking about.. a new Thai international, costa ricans and the majority of the squad around the 26-28 age group with a bunch of young bright kids!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum