Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
teddybear

No news on Squad? - Page 2 Empty Re: No news on Squad?

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:07 pm
Well matildasfan, I haven't heard anything positive from you regarding any other squad members or the game in general. All you have said is to leave the poor little girls alone. Haven't you any positive comments to make regarding the game? If you read the posts, you will see that there are a number of comments from me and others that are quite positive regarding the other squad members and the game in general. I just don't think it is worth paying the money for those girls to come to canberra to play. There are plenty of girls who are more capable than them here who could play.
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:35 pm
^^
i don't think she's coming back, but you're exactly right anyway.
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:44 pm
I can see where both arguments are coming from.

I think it is VERY harsh to be lambasting the Sykes' girls as they are only 17. I am a member of a number of forums and they give their younger players time to develop. eg. The Raiders have nurtured heaps of juniors this year and now those youngsters look to be doing well.

BUT in saying that, as when you play as a youngster there has to be MANY signs that they have what it takes to be playing in the top grade. eg. Dugan, Croker, Carney, Thompson, Waddell while still very young (19); they have all shown great signs that they are gonna be superstars. And to be fair the Sykes' girls in their W-League games haven't really being showing that.

But once again in saying that, the Sykes' twins are only 17 years old whereas the Raiders' I mentioned are 19. I am willing to give them time- but they should be used right. ATM, Ashleigh and Nicole are bench players at best and Ashleigh is a winger not a striker.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm
yeah that's a good point P2BC, maybe ash sykes in particular is just playing out of position. with chaps gone the RM position is left vacant so i'd like to see her there.
TheBigMan
TheBigMan
Other football teams : Millwall, Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus

Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:05 pm
matildasfan versus teddybear!!!
the ultimate battle
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:27 pm
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:I can see where both arguments are coming from.

I think it is VERY harsh to be lambasting the Sykes' girls as they are only 17. I am a member of a number of forums and they give their younger players time to develop. eg. The Raiders have nurtured heaps of juniors this year and now those youngsters look to be doing well.

BUT in saying that, as when you play as a youngster there has to be MANY signs that they have what it takes to be playing in the top grade. eg. Dugan, Croker, Carney, Thompson, Waddell while still very young (19); they have all shown great signs that they are gonna be superstars. And to be fair the Sykes' girls in their W-League games haven't really being showing that.

But once again in saying that, the Sykes' twins are only 17 years old whereas the Raiders' I mentioned are 19. I am willing to give them time- but they should be used right. ATM, Ashleigh and Nicole are bench players at best and Ashleigh is a winger not a striker.

clap

Out of all the posts from teddybear, matildasfan and aleague4canberra; your comment is the most worthy and agree 100%.
Toby
Toby

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:41 pm
matildasfan wrote:And I'm just pointing out that not everyone thinks the Sykes are rubbish. I wish I could play like either of them. And that there are plenty of other people who like them too.
Yes Canberra United needs support and yes of course the fans should have a say, but in a new competition that is still so new and has so many young girls, if some of those discussed in here read this, what would they think? I don't think they would think it's fair to be judged on the five games you may have seen them play at McKellar Park last year. Did you see them play for the Young Matildas? Can you judge them on what they did there if you didn't even see? I didn't so I wont.
It's not a job for them, they don't have to put in so many extra hours outside school and work just to be bashed up by people that say they are Canberra United supporters. How can you be a real supporter if you are bagging out the players that helped Canberra make it to a grand final in their first year?
It's also very likely that most of them will never be professional players (there is only a handful in the aus team that are and play overseas). So where is the incentive for them to keep playing? Oh that's right, there isn't much.
I'm just saying, if you are judging them soley on what you saw last season, that's pretty harsh and they deserve fairer treatment. Yes Ash Sykes had a bucketload of chances she didn't score from and it's fair to say that she could have scored more, but to call her hopeless? She was 16. I'm willing to give her a few years to see what see can do, see many NRL, AFL or A-League players making an impact at 16? Um, that would be no. Give them some time.

I Don't think the Sykes girls are rubbish and I think they are a good addition to the squad. I feel they will improve if they work hard. I think last year Ashleigh created numerous occasions with her speed up front and she often flew down the right flank. She needs to work on her finishing but that will grow with the more practice she gets, as for this year I think she should be placed right wing (either forward or midfield) but definitely not as a lone striker.
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:47 pm
[quote="Toby" definitely not as a lone striker.[/quote]

Now that would be bad.
teddybear

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:45 pm
My point is (yet again) that I do not think that they have what it takes to be in the elite level of the game. If they need time to develop, do that in a development squad, not at the expense of the current Canberra United team. If they can't take criticism, they should not be in the squad. There are other younger girls, or similar ages, in the squad who can perform, so age is not a criteria.

The Raiders players are 19, yes, they have been developed in a lower level competition and brought on when they are ready. Do the same at Canberra United and only bring in players when they are ready to compete at the top level.

I do not think the SYkes girls or Kiting have what it takes to play at that level. They are not playing football at a good enough level to compete and their serious mistakes (particularly Kiting) are costing the squad games which they should win.
teddybear

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:55 am
Well, apart from the what has already been said, what do you think of the rest of the squad?

THey are young, but there is quite a bit of international experience there. Hogg has played for Aus U17, Studman and Walters are Young Matildas and have played quite a bit internationally, and Gill and Brush are in the Matildas squad. Of course Williams is the No 2 (should be No 1) keeper for the matildas.

And also they have all been playing together for a number of years.

I think they will do well.
Joey47
Joey47

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:38 am
teddybear wrote:Well, apart from the what has already been said, what do you think of the rest of the squad?

THey are young, but there is quite a bit of international experience there. Hogg has played for Aus U17, Studman and Walters are Young Matildas and have played quite a bit internationally, and Gill and Brush are in the Matildas squad. Of course Williams is the No 2 (should be No 1) keeper for the matildas.

And also they have all been playing together for a number of years.

I think they will do well.

I seriously think we need some experience in the defensive position. Brush is only only real experienced player there- and she sometimes plays in the CM position. Is Walters a defender?

And of course, we are drastically lacking up front. All we have is Sykes and she is being played out of position.
teddybear

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:42 am
Studman and Walters are both experienced defenders who play on the wing I think. Anyway, that is where they played last year and with the YMs. Agree we need an experienced and reliable CB to assist Brush. I think Hogg plays a defending midfielder too, not sure.

Totally agree about up front - lets hope Junna signs some proper strikers.
Joey47
Joey47

Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:56 pm
How about Lucy Allen? She looked okay last year but I haven't heard anything since.
Toby
Toby

Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:51 pm
how about poaching some roar defenders if possible?
teddybear

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:40 pm
Don't know what is happening with Lucy Allan.

I think it is strikers we need, not defenders.
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:42 pm
Canberra should have no problems with getting youngsters in our team. We have great breeding grounds but I still think we are drastically lacking some experience. Up front we desperately need 2 proven goal finishers and another expereinced defender.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:47 am
glad to see je bisset there, she has some real potential.
Sebastian
Sebastian
Other football teams : Liverpool, Rangers, Leeds United

Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:50 am
well now we have Van Egmond
teddybear

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:26 am
Not sure about van egmond. Have heard some negative things about her. And she is not a striker and we desperately need strikers.
Joey47
Joey47

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:43 am
teddybear wrote:Not sure about van egmond. Have heard some negative things about her. And she is not a striker and we desperately need strikers.

She has represented the Matildas and is still only 17. She is a midfielder and IMO, we were drastically lacking at least one mid.

Good signing IMO.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum