Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: United miss out on American international

+11
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
cunitfan
Toby
United On The Gong
CUFC
Chris1822
RealCanberra23
FC United of Canberra
Joey47
southside
efcmetro1878
15 posters
Go down
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

UPDATE: United miss out on American international Empty UPDATE: United miss out on American international

Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:55 pm
Russ Gibbs, CUFC wrote:Current Westfield W-League Player of the year and Golden Boot holder Michelle Heyman is one of several new faces that will line-up in the green of Canberra United as Head Coach Ray Junna unveiled his new signings for Season Three of the national competition.

Heyman, who struck eleven goals on her way to claiming the top-scorer award last season, is joined by fellow former Central Coast Mariners players Caitlin Cooper and Lyndsay Glohe in a Canberra team that has masses of potential.

Both Cooper and Glohe have Australian caps at international level and add competition to a United back-line that will once again be marshaled by the inspirational Ellie Brush in front of co-captain Lydia Williams.

Recovered fully from a damaging knee-injury that curtailed her involvement last season, The Tradies Premier League Golden Boot winner Caitlin Munoz, is also back in action. Munoz, who scored four times in the inaugural Westfield W-League season, is joined in the squad by Matilda’s team mate Sally Shipard with the experienced pair expected to add a touch of class to Canberra’s attack.

With Tseng Shu-O arriving back in Australia from Chinese Taipei, there is plenty of optimism that the club can go one better than last season and claim a Grand Final spot. The only problem for Head Coach Ray Junna will be finding the best formation to utilise the talents at his disposal.

United head coach Ray Junna was excited by the prospect of the season ahead. “I’m very happy with where we are in terms of the squad at the moment.” Junna said. “There are still a few spots left to be finalised but the quality of signings we have been able to make have given us excellent depth and we can look forward to a promising season ahead.”

Adding to an already high-quality squad will be the return of dual football and cricket international Ellyse Perry, who swept the board at the club’s awards last year and was a joint winner of the Westfield W-League Young Player of the Year. In addition to Ellie Brush and Westfield Young Matilda’s international Emily Van Egmond, there is plenty of depth in the Canberra squad.

CANBERRA UNITED SQUAD
Westfield W-League Season Three
Lydia Williams (gk), Jocelyn Mara (gk), Caitlin Cooper, Lyndsay Glohe, Kahlia Hogg, Caitlin Munoz, Ellie Brush, Emily Van Egmond, Tseng Shu-O, Cian Maciejewski, Ellyse Perry, Michelle Heyman, Sally Shipard
Plus 7 to be named

CONFIRMED ARRIVALS
Sally Shipard (from sabbatical), Caitlin Munoz (from injury), Caitlin Cooper, Lyndsay Glohe, Michelle Heyman (all from Central Coast Mariners)

CONFIRMED DEPARTURES
Thea Slatyer (to Newcastle Jets), Chiung Ying Lin (returned to Chinese Taipei), Bronwyn Studman (Scholarship to the USA), Rebecca Kiting (Scholarship to the USA), Ellie Raymond, Christine Walters

http://www.canberraunited.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=35759
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

UPDATE: United miss out on American international Empty Re: UPDATE: United miss out on American international

Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:57 pm
Interesting... wonder who those seven will be...
Veljanovska, Gill, Sykes twins, Bissett?
southside

UPDATE: United miss out on American international Empty Re: UPDATE: United miss out on American international

Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:53 pm
What about Chapman!
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:15 pm
Surprised

Very surprised with no Grace Gill and and even Ashleigh Sykes. I thought she was a favourite of the Canberra United coaching staff.

Anyway, seems like a VERY strong squad and am particularly excited about the inclusion of the three Central Coast Mariners players.

Getting the season off to a strong start, will be VITAL.

BTW, I think the departure of Bronwyn Studman will be a big loss for us.
FC United of Canberra
FC United of Canberra

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:31 pm
I must say some of the exclusions that efcmetro brought up, are baffling. However, there may be something more to it eg. moved to another city, given up the competitive side of the game.

If it does turn out to be that Grace Gill doesn't end up taking the field for us, come Rd 1, then that will also be a big loss for us.

Good to see the defence department being given some more numbers. I was concerned that this may be our stumbling block in season 2010/2011.

Exciting squad anyway. Shame about Lin, and Studman though.

Also, Caitlin Cooper was the captain of the Mariners and is a defender. Has been capped for Australia once, scoring a goal on that occasion. Lyndsay Glohe is also a defender, who has been capped 5 times for the Matildas. Michelle Heyman, as we know, is a striker. She was the leading goal scorer last year in the whole of the league, and also received the W-League Player of the year in 2009.
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:50 pm
Very strong squad IMO.

------------------------------Williams-------------------------

------------Glohe------------Brush-----------Cooper--------

---------------------------Maciejewski---------------------------

Perry---------------------------------------------Van Egmond

----------------------------Shipard----------------------------

------------Munoz--------Heyman--------Tseng-------------

What.A.Team
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:22 pm
hmmm no gill???

Glad about tseng

Intrigued about the sykes' as i don't believe there will be much room for them but still thought they'd retain their spots.

very strong squad though
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:51 pm
Remember, there are still seven spots to fill.

IMO they'll be: Gill, Veljanovska, A Sykes, N Sykes, Bissett and at least one girl from that Woden squad that won the ACT WPL.

Can't BELIEVE Kahlia Hogg gets a start ahead of my Gracie! :( :(
Joey47
Joey47

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:55 pm
efcmetro1878 wrote:Remember, there are still seven spots to fill.

IMO they'll be: Gill, Veljanovska, A Sykes, N Sykes, Bissett and at least one girl from that Woden squad that won the ACT WPL.

Can't BELIEVE Kahlia Hogg gets a start ahead of my Gracie! :( :(

But why wouldn't she be announced as one of the 13 announced today?
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:00 pm
Why wouldn't Kahlia be announced? I don't have an issue with that, but you watch, they'll groom her this season; she'll get twice as much game time as Snez or Grace.
I reckon they should've announced the whole team they were putting on full contracts, then the two or three on short spells get announced later. /justsaying
Joey47
Joey47

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:17 pm
efcmetro1878 wrote:Why wouldn't Kahlia be announced? I don't have an issue with that, but you watch, they'll groom her this season; she'll get twice as much game time as Snez or Grace.
I reckon they should've announced the whole team they were putting on full contracts, then the two or three on short spells get announced later. /justsaying

No, I'm saying why wouldn't they have announced Gill in the squad today? Offers elsewhere she's considering? Just don't think we are going to see her playing for Canberra United this season, otherwise she'd have been announced in the squad today.
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:17 pm
Joey47 wrote:No, I'm saying why wouldn't they have announced Gill in the squad today? Offers elsewhere she's considering? Just don't think we are going to see her playing for Canberra United this season, otherwise she'd have been announced in the squad today.
I guess we'll have to wait and see. The Crab will be a big loss for us :(
CUFC

UPDATE: United miss out on American international Empty CUFC Squad 2010/11

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:33 am
Hi all,

Please remember that the squad announced today are the players that have officially signed and returned their paperwork to the administrative staff. The remaining seven spots in the squad are being negotiated at present and details being finalised with the players in question.

Rest assured that many of your favourites will undoubtedly be returning for Season Three. We should be in a position next week to identify the seven 'mystery' (lol) players for you all to consider. May like to re-jig those team line-ups!

Thanks for your patience and keep up the good work on this forum!

CUFC
United On The Gong
United On The Gong

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:40 am
CUFC wrote:Hi all,

Please remember that the squad announced today are the players that have officially signed and returned their paperwork to the administrative staff. The remaining seven spots in the squad are being negotiated at present and details being finalised with the players in question.

Rest assured that many of your favourites will undoubtedly be returning for Season Three. We should be in a position next week to identify the seven 'mystery' (lol) players for you all to consider. May like to re-jig those team line-ups!

Thanks for your patience and keep up the good work on this forum!

CUFC

Sounds good... hopefully we will see Grace Gill then.

On to the squad itself, don't think we have had a stronger squad in the past than this one. Excited to see the attacking players we have at our disposal this season. We really should mount a serious challenge for the title.
Toby
Toby

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:24 am
Im excited for this coming season! I missed last season as I was abroad although I thought Slatyer was one of the best in the first season. The Sykes girls should be re-signed as should Gill. Girls should be battling for the title this season.
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:12 pm
Toby wrote:Im excited for this coming season! I missed last season as I was abroad although I thought Slatyer was one of the best in the first season. The Sykes girls should be re-signed as should Gill. Girls should be battling for the title this season.
This will undoubtedly be our best season - there's some real competition for positions now.
Joey47
Joey47

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:36 pm
efcmetro1878 wrote:
Toby wrote:Im excited for this coming season! I missed last season as I was abroad although I thought Slatyer was one of the best in the first season. The Sykes girls should be re-signed as should Gill. Girls should be battling for the title this season.
This will undoubtedly be our best season - there's some real competition for positions now.

x2
cunitfan

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:58 am
I am disappointed the sykes twins are back. Really thought we could do better.
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:43 pm
cunitfan wrote:I am disappointed the sykes twins are back. Really thought we could do better.
Depth players. Good to see Bissett and Gill back :D
Joey47
Joey47

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:43 pm
Returning players bolster squad
Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Canberra United’s squad for Season Three of the Westfield W-League was further bolstered by the announcement of four more players that will line up in green for 2010/11.

Midfielders Grace Gill and Jennifer Bisset return for their third season with the club, as do the Sykes twins, Ashleigh and Nicole, with Coach Ray Junna adding to his initial thirteen player squad announced last week.

With several new faces arriving for season three competition for places is extremely fierce. The addition of these players further adds to what looks to be a strong Canberra United line-up.

Gill has been an integral part of the United team since its foundation and spent the winter season playing for local side Canberra FC in The Tradies Women’s Premier League, the elite Women’s competition in the ACT, whilst Bisset had a spell in the same league with ANU WFC (Australian National University).

The retention of the Sykes’ twins adds significant pace to the United squad and further depth to an impressive looking roster.

CANBERRA UNITED SQUAD
Westfield W-League Season Three
1. Lydia Williams (gk), 2. Caitlin Cooper, 3. Lyndsay Glohe, 4. Michelle Heyman, 5. Kahlia Hogg, 6. Caitlin Munoz, 7. Ellie Brush, 8. Tseng Shu-O, 9. Grace Gill, 10. Emily Van Egmond, 11. Cian Maciejewski, 14. Ashleigh Sykes, 15. Sally Shipard, 16. Ellyse Perry, 17. Nicole Sykes, 19. Jennifer Bisset, 20. Jocelyn Mara (gk)
Plus three to be named

http://www.canberraunited.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=35838
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 pm
Who will the other three be? *intrigue!* *suspense!*
Toby
Toby

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:00 pm
How about some locals from the ACT?
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:20 pm
cant wait for the season to start, with this squad we should dominate!!
southside

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:48 pm
Now we are getting serious!!!!!!

Blayney to join United in DecemberMonday, 18 October 2010
by Russ Gibbs, CanberraUnited.com.au
Cultured Matildas’ midfielder Leah Blayney is set to join Canberra United in December, once she has completed her commitments in the USA, returning to the Westfield W-League for the Season Three having come to a verbal agreement with United Coach Ray Junna.

Blayney, who played two matches for Sydney FC in Season One of the Westfield W-League, is currently enjoying life Stateside where she has made a big splash on the local USA College scene with Central Connecticut State University and latterly with the Boston Aztecs, the reserve club to the Boston Breakers professional team.

Born in Katoomba, NSW, Blayney has Australian caps at schoolgirl, under-20 (Young Matildas) and full international level, making her senior breakthrough as a substitute in a 1-1 draw with China in Beijing in 2004, going on to make thirteen appearances for the full national team, four of which came on the Asian tour prior to her heading to the USA .

Moving to the USA to pursue a scholarship, Blayney originally attended Auburn University before starring for Central Connecticut where, over her collegiate career, she amassed 21 goals and 20 assists in a total of 61 appearances giving her a total of 62 points which places her fourth on the all-time list of achievers at Central Connecticut. Her 21 goals is the fifth highest ever at the college while her 20 assists rank her third of all-time and to cap her time with Central Connecticut Blayney was awarded the 2009 North East Conference Player of the Year.

Playing with the Boston Aztecs for 2010 Blayney continued her irrepressible form by being named ‘Final Four’ MVP in the WPSL, as well as WPSL East Player of the Year, as she crowned her season with a championship medal as the Aztecs defeated Ajax America 2-1 in the Grand Final.

Having graduated through the ranks of NSWIS it was little surprise that Blayney was signed by Sydney FC for the inaugural Westfield W-League season. Her return to Australia will see her in the green of Canberra United and provides a chance for supporters to see how this playmaker has matured into a wonderful talent.

efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:42 am
So there's only TWO more spots to fill...
This season is going to be mental, not just for CU but for the league. The amount of talent being unearthed at the moment is phenomenal.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum