Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canberra would be “an obvious priority” for the 13th license

+13
mikey_porto
Raider_United
pete
Galileo
Chris1822
RealCanberra23
thegezman
Thebid
Admin_Capital Punishment
benoncehobbled
Joey47
Timmeh
BrotherEstapol
17 posters
Go down
BrotherEstapol
BrotherEstapol

Canberra would be “an obvious priority” for the 13th license Empty Canberra would be “an obvious priority” for the 13th license.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:28 pm
FFA announce western Sydney will be given license for 12th A-League team
September 29, 2009 Football Federation Australia has announced that a new A-league franchise will be based in western Sydney from 2011.

FFA CEO Ben Buckley has also reiterated that Canberra would be “an obvious priority” for the 13th license.

A group chaired by Saatchi & Saatchi Executive Chairman and former Young Socceroos player Ian Rowden will be handed the licence for the western Sydney team.

“It is a traditional heartland for football, having produced a large number of very talented men and women players,’ said Buckley.

“We believe they are the right people to build and establish the team and to connect to football fans and the wider community and we want to give the team every chance to succeed by giving them time to put all the right building blocks in place,” Buckley said.

“Above all, they have a great combination of business and marketing expertise and acumen as well as a deep knowledge of, and passion for, the game.”
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26139396-5000940,00.html

fyi!!!

EDIT: Sorry! Appear to be have been beaten to the punch with this news! Mods please feel free to merge/delete this thread!
Timmeh
Timmeh

Canberra would be “an obvious priority” for the 13th license Empty Re: Canberra would be “an obvious priority” for the 13th license

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:40 pm
Have removed mine....You summed it up to the part that is relevent to us....who cares about the rest.

Hopefully they are lining us up for the Wellington spot.

Timmeh
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Canberra would be “an obvious priority” for the 13th license Empty Re: Canberra would be “an obvious priority” for the 13th license

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:45 pm
Oh well... been expecting this all along. Hardly surprised and am actually quite relieved that we should get a spot in the near future.
benoncehobbled

Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:00 pm
This is hardly unexpected. It's now time to turn our attention to ensuring we are 100% guaranteed a spot next time FFA look to expand. The bid team MUST get FFA to set a timeline for the next round of expansion. They MUST get a commitment of when the capital will get a team in the league, whether that is in 2012, 2013 etc.
Admin_Capital Punishment
Admin_Capital Punishment
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net

Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:04 pm
Well this is interesting isn't it? I think what will happen now is that we'll see the exclusion of wellington after this year and the introduction of 2nd melb next, leaving the league at 10 teams. Then the following year western sydney come in for sure, but who's to say canberra won't as well??

surely 2011 would be a perfect time for us to come in, with more funding, a brand set up and an even comp.

On the other hand if wellington don't get the boot, canberra's hopes will hinge on strong bids from another party.

can't wait for fox sports FC tonight.

I'm e-mailing the FFA right now to demand answers, I'll post their reply as soon as possible Rant
Thebid

Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:29 pm
FFA could have given us the 2011 start date as well, at least provisionally.

I hate the FFA. Western Sydney clearly has no bid of any financial merit, last January, today or maybe not even in the future.

Some process for football.

And let's get rid of the Mariners, and time for football/business people of Canberra to drive harder for the "next fair process."
thegezman
thegezman
Other football teams : Liverpool FC, Carlton FC (AFL)

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:36 pm
this is pretty bloody dissapointing i've got to say.

i was planning on going to the a-league game on the 31st of october - but f**k em.

i'm offically boycotting the a-league untill we have a team.

i'll trhow all my support behind Canberra United in the w-league instead.

this move by the FFA is just as stupid as the AFL's push.

both destined to fail IMO.

the whole precess has been shoddy.
what couldn't theyset a bloody deadline for a decision instead of dragging this all out for almost 12 months.

Ivan Slavich, Anthony Hatton and co thankyou so much for all your efforts. i hope your not as disenchanted as i am.
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:06 pm
thegezman wrote:this is pretty bloody dissapointing i've got to say.

i was planning on going to the a-league game on the 31st of october - but f**k em.

i'm offically boycotting the a-league untill we have a team.

i'll trhow all my support behind Canberra United in the w-league instead.

this move by the FFA is just as stupid as the AFL's push.

both destined to fail IMO.

the whole precess has been shoddy.
what couldn't theyset a bloody deadline for a decision instead of dragging this all out for almost 12 months.

Ivan Slavich, Anthony Hatton and co thankyou so much for all your efforts. i hope your not as disenchanted as i am.

And how is that going to help the Canberra A-League bid exactly? Now is the time Canberra needs to stand up most. All we can do is sit in Bay 66 (if that is still taking place) have chants directed at the FFA and create atmosphere. It is okay to have the sh*ts, but to boycott a game where support is needed the most is kinda amateurish.
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:14 pm
^^
yeah with you there realcanberra23, boycotting this game will do no good for the bid.
Galileo
Galileo

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:28 pm
Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral

Don't really know how to feel? Any suggestions?
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:31 pm
I'm happy FFA have stated they do want us. In the end we were short of the $6M financial target so it'll give us time to build a solid fan/sponsorship base.

Yeah we need to have a good turn-out on October 31 for sure to help us along!!
BrotherEstapol
BrotherEstapol

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:12 pm
Boycotting the game won't help in the least if you ask me.

This could be worse you need to realise.We've pretty much been told that we've got a team after West Sydney. I think that the Canberra bid having the advantage of the ACT gov telling the FAA to look elsewhere for a FIFA approved Wolrd Cup grade stadium if the bid isn't given a licence is a big help though.
Raider_United
Raider_United

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:26 pm
You should've kept my fake thread from a while back. Wink
mikey_porto
mikey_porto

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:28 pm
Don't see why so many people are THAT furious. It was expected and now Canberra needs to turn out in force in a push to gain inclusion in 2011.
thegezman
thegezman

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:35 pm
i'm probably over reacting a little.

i just feel a little duped, like there never was a really 'bidding process' and WS was always going to get spot, even though our bid has way more going for it.

and i'm worried all tyhe hard work from the first bid has been undone.

i agree that if we are such a prioity then why cant they issue a provisionaly license with a deadline of when we need to have the $6mill so we can atleast attract some backers with a 'real' product.
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:59 pm
Buckley revealed Canberra was in the box seat if the FFA decided to ultimately expand the A-League beyond twelve clubs.

“We believe that Canberra is the obvious choice for the next A-League licence should we take that step to expand beyond twelve teams,” Buckley said.

“We want to continue to work with those people who put together the consortia in the south coast, the Illawarra region.

“We believe there's great opportunities there in the longer-term. It's not the right time to expand to Canberra or the south coast at this point in time.”

AAP

This is from the article on FoxSports website, not sure if its the same one?

But very disappointing the way they are saying Canberra wasn't a priority,

Now they really need to work with Ivan Slavich and the ACT govt. to ensure Canberra can be guaranteed a spot in 2011/12
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:40 am
thom_canberra wrote:Buckley revealed Canberra was in the box seat if the FFA decided to ultimately expand the A-League beyond twelve clubs.

“We believe that Canberra is the obvious choice for the next A-League licence should we take that step to expand beyond twelve teams,” Buckley said.

“We want to continue to work with those people who put together the consortia in the south coast, the Illawarra region.

“We believe there's great opportunities there in the longer-term. It's not the right time to expand to Canberra or the south coast at this point in time.”

AAP

This is from the article on FoxSports website, not sure if its the same one?

But very disappointing the way they are saying Canberra wasn't a priority,

Now they really need to work with Ivan Slavich and the ACT govt. to ensure Canberra can be guaranteed a spot in 2011/12

Mate, we were never a priority and the FFA had stated themselves that they will do their hardest to get a team in the West of Sydney.
Golden_CU
Golden_CU
Other football teams : Bradford City

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:22 am
Damn... in that Canberra times article, Buckley stated that he doesn't know when we will come in. It could be 5 years or even 10 years.

My guess in 2012.
Galileo
Galileo

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:24 am
benoncehobbled wrote:This is hardly unexpected. It's now time to turn our attention to ensuring we are 100% guaranteed a spot next time FFA look to expand. The bid team MUST get FFA to set a timeline for the next round of expansion. They MUST get a commitment of when the capital will get a team in the league, whether that is in 2012, 2013 etc.

The bid team need to stay loyal to this bid and pressure the FFA into asking for answers. Some of what you have said.

-Have we virtually got a Provisional Licence?
-If not, why not?
-When are we going to enter the league?
thegezman
thegezman

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:06 am
agreed, give us a provisional license and time frame to work with.
even if it's 4 years away.

let us get the best people and processes in place to work with so we can ensure it's sucessful
(::FAQ::)
(::FAQ::)

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:50 pm
Yes. I don't see why the FFA haven't given us a provisional licence. This could prize away any potential sponsors, potential football fans and more importantly government support.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:38 pm
we definantly are a priority... but it wont be until around 2013/14
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum