Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canberra NSW Premier League team?

+10
RealCanberra23
Joey47
Pittodrie Boy
(::FAQ::)
mikey_porto
Chris1822
Golden_CU
Admin_Capital Punishment
cufc_cc
pete
14 posters
Go down
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Canberra NSW Premier League team? Empty Re: Canberra NSW Premier League team?

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:00 am
Just on the topic of "keeping the momentum going" I was wondering if anyone thinks this would be a good idea.

Create a club name ie. "Canberra United". Field a team in the NSW Premier League which is effectively the second tier of Aus football (we could ask the FFA to at least do this for us). Play games at McKellar Park or wherever just like our W-League team until such time we could move to Bruce stadium when we get the A-League green light.
cufc_cc
cufc_cc
Other football teams : Leeds Utd

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:02 am
pete wrote:Just on the topic of "keeping the momentum going" I was wondering if anyone thinks this would be a good idea.

Create a club name ie. "Canberra United". Field a team in the NSW Premier League which is effectively the second tier of Aus football (we could ask the FFA to at least do this for us). Play games at McKellar Park or wherever just like our W-League team until such time we could move to Bruce stadium when we get the A-League green light.

YES! I was just thinking that this morning. I think that would be GREAT. Push for inclusion into the NSW Premier League for the next season and play our games at McKellar Park. This would build up support- though not much, it would still build.
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:14 am
Yeah I think joining the NSW State League is our best option at this stage. It'll give our club time to grow links with the community too
Admin_Capital Punishment
Admin_Capital Punishment
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 am
Pete, I have split the topic because it is one of interest.
Golden_CU
Golden_CU
Other football teams : Bradford City

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:31 am
Brilliant Idea IMO. This would be great for the Canberra community because IMO since the Blue Devils got ommited, football in Canberra have been Starving for action.
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:15 pm
Great idea! What sort of players would we get though?
pete
pete

Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:10 pm
Going back to the Belconnen Bluedevils and even when Deakin was in (Canberra Metros) the teams were always competitive in the NSW comp. We have some very good young players in the ACT Premier League plus it'll provide a stepping stone for players/fans until we get into the A-League.

I reckon with Capital Football backing it's definitely some worth looking at now. FFA should be able to ask Football NSW to make it happen as part of helping us achieve A-League status.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:37 pm
^^
yes and i agree but what sort of players would we get? is it going to be just youth players because then we might as well just get the youth league team.
mikey_porto
mikey_porto

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Schimch@capital hill wrote:^^
yes and i agree but what sort of players would we get? is it going to be just youth players because then we might as well just get the youth league team.

No not just youth players. Players from other NSW Premier League clubs will want to play for us as they would know this is a potential A-League career trial for a Canberra team.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:31 pm
^^
yeah that sounds good. then the select few out of those players can set a good foundation for our team.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:00 am
This would be terrific. Not only for the bid team to get organised and all, but for the supporters to, as pete said, associate themselves with and build up support.

This would be terrific and at least we would have something to support while the wait for an A-League team.
Pittodrie Boy
Pittodrie Boy

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:31 pm
We would be lucky to get in. The parochial NSW Federation booted the Blue Devils out (probably) because they were too successful.
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:44 pm
Pittodrie Boy wrote:We would be lucky to get in. The parochial NSW Federation booted the Blue Devils out (probably) because they were too successful.

I was distraught when they announced that. But the FFA would take control of it and decide whether we can be added to the league. I'm sure they would try because this would put us in great stead for A-League.
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:44 pm
As Mikey said, some good youth players and some NSW premier league players would be our best bet.
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:25 pm
I'd rather just focus on the a-league team but not a bad idea.
Joey47
Joey47

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:29 pm
Alex351 wrote:I'd rather just focus on the a-league team but not a bad idea.

This would put us in good stead for the A-League. We aren't debating whether we should go into the NSWPL or the A-League, we are just saying this would put us in a great position, because we are ready, to be accepted in the the A-League.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:58 pm
Ivan slavich said in this e-mail i got that they are working with the FFA to get a NYL team for 2010 so while this is a good idea i can in no world see both of these things happening.
Raider_United
Raider_United

Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm
IMO, if we got this up and running, we would have a massive head start over when clubs first started. If we give the Canberra public the taste of first class action and really get them pumped for when we enter the league.
Golden_CU
Golden_CU
Other football teams : Bradford City

Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:17 am
It would be obvious the NSWPL board would not approve of this as it would only mean that we are temporarily in this comp, so the FFA would have to step in and force it upon them.
Joey47
Joey47

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:06 am
I was reading the Nearpost Blogspot this morning and Eamonn wrote something about us joining the NSWPL.

I'll take a Youth team in 2010, and two places in the NSW Premier League Comp and a provisional licence to the A-League at any date of your choice.

http://nearpost.blogspot.com/
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:49 pm
^^
I think that it would be fair to say that we are all in agreement that a NWSPL team would be better than a NYL team but Ivan Slavich is already in talks with the FFA about getting us a NYL team next year so he won't go for this idea.
pete
pete

Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:43 pm
AIS is already in the NYL. I don't think having a youth side is the same as following 1st grade in the NSWPL for fans/potential sponsors
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:16 pm
^^
I realise that but do you understand what i'm saying, we aren't going to get both and they're already in talks about a NYL team so a NWSPL team is almost out of the question.
pete
pete

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:23 pm
Why not? FFA said they will help us achieve A-League status. As long as the it's under the 1 club name I don't see the problem.

If our bid team is thinking long-term I think they would go for NSWPL simply because the club will be able to establish the brand and supporter base before gaining admission to the A-League. If accepted in the NYL I don't see why we couldn't be in the NSWPL either. They are separate competitions played at different times of the year.
Joey47
Joey47

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:02 pm
It is a bloody great idea, and would be so much better than the Youth League. It would give Canberra something really serious to support, and would build up fans. But in saying that, it is quite unlikely to happen. Slavich and the FFA prefer a NYL team and IMO, isn't the best option.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum