Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Update: Future Canberra Stadium Part II- Advanced Images Empty Update: Future Canberra Stadium Part II- Advanced Images

Tue May 26, 2009 8:33 pm
Update: Future Canberra Stadium Part II- Advanced Images R376653_1751841

This proposal to create a unique sporting precinct at Bruce would cost $300-$350 million.

Update: Future Canberra Stadium Part II- Advanced Images R376659_1751897

An artist's impression of what a fully redevelopment Manuka Oval could look like. The proposal would cost $70-$100 million.

Canberrans are being urged to have their say on the future of Manuka Oval and Canberra Stadium.

A number of master plan options have been unveiled for the two sporting facilities.

The proposals for Canberra Stadium include upgrading the existing complex to include extra seating and a new roof for the west, south and east stands.

The Manuka Oval proposals involve rebuilding existing stands and expanding the venue.

Another option is to build a new 40,000 seat stadium alongside Canberra Stadium for rugby and soccer.

Under this option AFL and cricket games would be moved from Manuka Oval to a refurbished Canberra Stadium. Manuka Oval would then be transformed into a community ground.

But the proposals come with hefty price tags.

The ideas for Canberra Stadium would cost between $60 million and $350 million while the Manuka Oval proposals would cost $10 - $100 million.

Sports Minister Andrew Barr says the Government's preferred option is to build a new stadium at Bruce but it will depend on funding arrangements with the Commonwealth and private sector.

"It would mean the ACT could comfortably host AFL matches, cricket matches of international status as well as providing a world class home for the Raiders and the Brumbies and an A-League team in future competitions," he said.

Mr Barr says the proposals would ensure Canberra can host world-class sporting events into the future.

"Major sporting events are important because they not only provide great entertainment for the people of the ACT, they also attract thousands of visitors from interstate, helping to support local tourism operators and local tourism jobs," he said.

Canberrans have until late June to comment on the proposals.

Improvements welcome

The Canberra Raiders say they would welcome the construction of a new stadium at Bruce for rugby league and other codes.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner says a new stadium would help attract more fans and sponsors.

"Canberra Stadium's a great stadium, our visiting teams that come here think it's great," he said.

"Certainly now it's nearly 40 years old, certainly the west end is 40 years old, any improvement can help spectator comfort, can help with the sponsorship and can help the team when the facilities get better would be a great improvement and I know our team would love it."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... tion=sport

Last edited by Proud2BeCanberran on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
(::FAQ::)

Update: Future Canberra Stadium Part II- Advanced Images Empty Re: Update: Future Canberra Stadium Part II- Advanced Images

Wed May 27, 2009 7:45 am
that is really cool! But where are we plannig to put this stadium... I mean is there enough room? 40,000 will look VERY empty for our A-League team, and Raiders.
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Update: Future Canberra Stadium Part II- Advanced Images Empty Re: Update: Future Canberra Stadium Part II- Advanced Images

Wed May 27, 2009 4:49 pm
we'd put the stadium on the eastern side of canberra stadium there's plenty of room there. and no it won't look to good for the canberra a-league team but i think i read in the canebrra times today something about them reducing capacity down to 26500 after the world cup.

great news anyway it'd be fantastic atmosphere
GloryPerth
GloryPerth

Wed May 27, 2009 8:53 pm
aleague4canberra wrote:we'd put the stadium on the eastern side of canberra stadium there's plenty of room there. and no it won't look to good for the canberra a-league team but i think i read in the canebrra times today something about them reducing capacity down to 26500 after the world cup.

great news anyway it'd be fantastic atmosphere

That sounds better, but then again, what's the point in building a new stadium if it's not much bigger than the current one? (longer term) Now I know 40k might be overkill for even the Brumbies, at present, but a capacity of a few thousand more, to 30k would seem a good capacity for all 3 teams? Especially for the next 2-3 decades. It would make building a new stadium seem more worth it too.

But then with the temporary stands/tier, if taking that away leaves the stadium at 26500, then so be it.

BTW How does the present Bruce Stadium rate? Is it not quite up to standard, especially for the Brumbies? Does it lack media and corporate boxes? Lack modern facilities, that most other elite Super14/NRL stadiums have?

What are the issues with the stadium?
Chris1822
Chris1822

Wed May 27, 2009 9:58 pm
the main problem is that canberra stadium was never built as a purpose rectangular stadium, it only became rectangular for the 2000 olympics when cate carnell did a botch job. this makes the viewing not bad but not great either but as for facilities they're top notch.

people complain about parking but for me there are never any problems in that department.

the potential 40K rectangular stadium looks enclosed at all angles so even if there was only 12ishK there'd still be a decent atmosphere.
Raider_United
Raider_United

Thu May 28, 2009 6:33 pm
Really would not mind this... On the Canberra Stadium website it has the options of what might happen:

http://www.canberrastadium.com/about/op ... opment.php

Option 1 involves putting a much bigger roof over the western side of the existing Canberra Stadium...

which is a step to Option 2 which is to put a much bigger roof over the eastern side and southern end... with the roof line ending up like a big "U", with the northern end left open.

Option 3 would put the 40,000 seat rectangular stadium on the site of the existing Canberra Stadium...

and Option 4 would put the 40,000 seat rectangular stadium on the site of the existing eastern car park and converting the existing Canberra Stadium to an oval.

All the plans for each option are at that site, and explain the options in detail, and how to give comment... You can do it at the next two Raiders games, or via email, as explained here:

http://www.canberrastadium.com/about/being_involved.php
Raider_United
Raider_United

Thu May 28, 2009 6:34 pm
Option 4...
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 pm
I think either option 2 along with more development of Manuka, or,

Option 4 which I think looks really great and would be great to have them sitting next to each other with all the space around them being redeveloped. Great Idea!!
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri May 29, 2009 7:42 am
i drove past the place that they are planning the new stadium and i'm just thining, "parking"?
the head
the head
Location : Duffy. That's where I live mofo. Where I do my thing.

Fri May 29, 2009 8:12 am
aleague4canberra wrote:i drove past the place that they are planning the new stadium and i'm just thining, "parking"?

I assumed that the building on the north side of the new stadium is parking...... hopefully.

Give me light rail or give me death.
CanberraFanUK
CanberraFanUK
Other football teams : I have plenty of that being a Pom!

Sun May 31, 2009 10:29 am
Sorry if I am being dumb here but... on the proposals up above, there is a new Stadium next door to Canberra Stadium.

Firstly, what would that be used for, Football?

Would the Raiders still play at Canberra Stadium? I'm just curious why the pitch markings are AFL.

If the case is above, I woud rather they just upgrade Canberra Stadium.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun May 31, 2009 11:03 am
^^^^^^^^^

ok well the existing canberra stadium would be converted into an AFL and cricket oval, then there will be a seperate 40K rectangular seat stadium built next door purpose football to be used in the world cup in australia, for canberra united/athletic, canberra raiders, ACT brumbies. after the world cup the stadium would be decreased to 26,500 capacity.

Sun May 31, 2009 8:36 pm
there are two main options:

1. Demolish Canberra Stadium and replace it with a 40k satdium. Keep Manuka as AFL games
2. Have the two stadiums
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:01 pm
no, the first option is wrong, they won't be replacing anything just upgrading canberra stadium to 40K
Joey47
Joey47

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:03 pm
^^^^^

No, i was listening to the radio a few days back and it was on a website- either Canberra Stadium website or Canberra Times.

And it said that this could be an option.
CanberraFanUK
CanberraFanUK
Other football teams : I have plenty of that being a Pom!

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:37 pm
I asked Don Furner Jnr, and he said the options were- Canberra Stadium goes upto a 40k capacity with Manuka Oval redeveloped for the AFL and cricket 'or' a new 40,000 Stadium be built alongside the current Canberra Stadium. But Canberra Stadium will not get demolished.

Personally I'd preffer option A. of Manuka Oval upgrade and Canberra Stadium, Australia won't get the World cup!
Joey47
Joey47

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:40 pm
http://www.canberrastadium.com/about/op ... opment.php

Option 1 involves putting a much bigger roof over the western side of the existing Canberra Stadium...

which is a step to Option 2 which is to put a much bigger roof over the eastern side and southern end... with the roof line ending up like a big "U", with the northern end left open.

Option 3 would put the 40,000 seat rectangular stadium on the site of the existing Canberra Stadium...

and Option 4 would put the 40,000 seat rectangular stadium on the site of the existing eastern car park and converting the existing Canberra Stadium to an oval.

All the plans for each option are at that site, and explain the options in detail, and how to give comment... You can do it at the next two Raiders games, or via email, as explained here:
BrotherEstapol
BrotherEstapol

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:30 pm
I was at the Swans/Bulldogs game on Saturday at Manuka and they had a couple of people at a stand thing with all the options on display.

We were talking with the guy there and we asked him about parking on option 4 and he said that they're considering putting parking underneath the oval since the pitch will be raised to make it larger. He said there'd probably be less parking than there is currently but they're relient on the upgrade to public transport to compensate.

He also mentioned that the PM's 11 would be played at Bruce if manuka got downgraded and that since the new oval would have lights, that one dayers and twenty20 matches could be played there.

So as much as I hate cricket, it would be topps for the local economy.

Also, here's that link again since the above one is busted.
http://www.canberrastadium.com/about/options_for_future_development.php
Chris1822
Chris1822

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:14 am
less parking hey? The only way i see this working is around the stadium (in the suburb of bruce) they put some hotels within walking distance of the stadium, also a light rail service and possibly bus interchange?
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:00 pm
there is no point in making a new 40,000-seat stadium next to the existing one.... when will we get 40,000 in there... a-league grand final, super 14 grand final on average we are expected to get 15,000 to each game.... thats like the raiders and the brumbies... its a stupid idea and i hope it fall through... it wouldnt be bad if there did some development on manuka and canberra stadium but u dont need to build a new one....
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:19 pm
ok so 40,000 would only be temporary for the World Cup,
after that the temporary seating would be removed and the capacity would go down to 26,500
Chris1822
Chris1822

Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:58 pm
what he ^ said
Joey47
Joey47

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:18 am
This new stadium would be perfect. Whether it is next to the existing one and reduced seating after the WC, it would still be great. It will be perfect because 80% of the seating is undercover.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:47 pm
Looking at the stadium again, it looks as though it would be a small kind of 40,000, so it won't look like an overly pathetic crowd. You see them all in Germany 06... they are small stadiums yet they hold 40,000.
Galileo
Galileo

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:18 am
I saw the proposed inside of this stadium, it says they DEFINITELY will make it 80% undercover but it certainly doesn't look like it.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum