Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE Future of Canberra Stadium

+8
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
CanberraFanUK
the head
GloryPerth
thom_canberra
Chris1822
Nonno Gomes
Joey47
12 posters
Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

UPDATE Future of Canberra Stadium Empty UPDATE Future of Canberra Stadium

Sat May 23, 2009 5:12 pm
Interesting article from Tim Gavel in the CT today... Some interesting key points:

# The Commonwealth owns Canberra Stadium and leases it to the ACT for peppercorn rent. That will change to commercial rent next year and the ACT is negotiating a land swap deal... the ACT would get the Canberra Stadium land in exchange for land the AIS could use. If a deal cannot be struck... the commercial rent the ACT will pay to the Commonwealth may have significant implications for the Raiders.

# There are a number of proposals for redevelopment at Canberra Stadium. There is a proposal for the East Stand car park to be converted to a park and ride facility, so people in Belconnen can park their vehicles and bus to Civic. Another proposal would see the Stadium developed as a sports medicine hub with shopping and restarurants. Another would see a new 40,000 rectangular Stadium developed beside the existing Stadium, with the existing ground to be converted to AFL for a western Sydney AFL team, which may play five games in Canberra. The 40.000 seat Stadium would be suitable for a soccer world cup. The question of funding for the last proposal... it is suggested it may have to be part of a major apartment and hotel complex.

# At a minimum, grandstands are needed at the northern and southern ends of Canberra Stadium.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW! An new stadium in Canberra..
Nonno Gomes
Nonno Gomes

UPDATE Future of Canberra Stadium Empty Re: UPDATE Future of Canberra Stadium

Sat May 23, 2009 7:23 pm
canberra stadium is a joke. the actually quality of the ground is good, but the parking situation is appalling. if australia wants the WC, the external stadium facilities would need dramatic improvement (i.e. more spaces and sealed roads). right now i would be embarrassed to host Spain or Holland
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Sat May 23, 2009 7:27 pm
good work ACT government, a new stadium? wow!
Joey47
Joey47

Sat May 23, 2009 7:58 pm
Nonno Gomes wrote:canberra stadium is a joke. the actually quality of the ground is good, but the parking situation is appalling. if australia wants the WC, the external stadium facilities would need dramatic improvement (i.e. more spaces and sealed roads). right now i would be embarrassed to host Spain or Holland

I think that is a bit over the top. They haven't got the world cup yet so I doubt they will be rushing into putting in world class facilities to play host to the Penrith Panthers.

Until we get the WC I don't think the parking needs much of an upgrade.

As for the stadium... I LOVE IT!
Nonno Gomes
Nonno Gomes

Sat May 23, 2009 8:07 pm
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
Nonno Gomes wrote:canberra stadium is a joke. the actually quality of the ground is good, but the parking situation is appalling. if australia wants the WC, the external stadium facilities would need dramatic improvement (i.e. more spaces and sealed roads). right now i would be embarrassed to host Spain or Holland

I think that is a bit over the top. They haven't got the world cup yet so I doubt they will be rushing into putting in world class facilities to play host to the Penrith Panthers.

"Until we get the WC I don't think the parking needs much of an upgrade" that cause you don't drive, the parking there is atrocious!!!

plus improvements now strengthens our claims...
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Sat May 23, 2009 9:27 pm
Its not that hard to catch a bus to the game, they are free, and then you can drink more:)

Why do Canberrans always have to drive everywhere
GloryPerth
GloryPerth

Sun May 24, 2009 12:36 am
I heard about some 'bold' light rail proposals for Canberra in recent times. Like initially from Canberra to Civic and a bit further to North Canberra even. I like the idea and you're obviously not big enough for a proper metro train network, but light rail would be perfect, especially as has been said, people rely on driving anywhere and rail is the way of the future. The Light Rail proposal was costed at $1 Billion, so it would be quite a project for your city, for sure. I hear ideas that eventually it would extend down to Woden Valley and Tuggerong and North-West out to Bruce Stadium and Belconnen. I've been to Sydney and Melbourne and their light rail systems were very good. Though I know they're a different kettle of fish from Canberra and even Perth.

There have been on and off proposals over a 'Very Fast Train' or 'TGV Train' from Sydney to Canberra. Some past proposals suggested going through that South-Western corridor of Sydney, Campbelltown, Camden but the more recent proposal has suggested going through Wollongong, through to Nowra or somewhere down there and then going inland to Canberra. Such a train could turn Canberra into almost another suburb of Sydney, which is good and bad ofcourse, but more good perhaps as people drive anyway and Canberra could see more growth because its just a short trip to Sydney, but lifestyle wise, it's pretty good (But the idea of Canberra growing much larger - that's good or bad depending on your p.o.v. aswell).

I also heard ideas to expand Canberra's airport to essentially function as Sydney's second airport, due to the congestion their airport has. Though I've think they've decided on just expanding, or building a second airport instead?

All these things are important in the context of World Cup hosting, if Canberra even had one of these things establish by then, then your city would more more than attractive - you'd be too good to deny, hosting a WC.

Interesting OP BTW. Will be interesting to see what they do. You did not post a link to the article, who did the journo source for these proposals - where did he get his info? Govt?

I'm surprised they don't pursue refurbishing the existing Bruce Stadium, instead of building an entirely new stadium. That seems the easy option and ones govt's normally take, but some real top class new and larger rectangle stadium sounds awesome.
Joey47
Joey47

Sun May 24, 2009 7:25 am
GloryPerth wrote:I heard about some 'bold' light rail proposals for Canberra in recent times. Like initially from Canberra to Civic and a bit further to North Canberra even. I like the idea and you're obviously not big enough for a proper metro train network, but light rail would be perfect, especially as has been said, people rely on driving anywhere and rail is the way of the future. The Light Rail proposal was costed at $1 Billion, so it would be quite a project for your city, for sure. I hear ideas that eventually it would extend down to Woden Valley and Tuggerong and North-West out to Bruce Stadium and Belconnen. I've been to Sydney and Melbourne and their light rail systems were very good. Though I know they're a different kettle of fish from Canberra and even Perth.

There have been on and off proposals over a 'Very Fast Train' or 'TGV Train' from Sydney to Canberra. Some past proposals suggested going through that South-Western corridor of Sydney, Campbelltown, Camden but the more recent proposal has suggested going through Wollongong, through to Nowra or somewhere down there and then going inland to Canberra. Such a train could turn Canberra into almost another suburb of Sydney, which is good and bad ofcourse, but more good perhaps as people drive anyway and Canberra could see more growth because its just a short trip to Sydney, but lifestyle wise, it's pretty good (But the idea of Canberra growing much larger - that's good or bad depending on your p.o.v. aswell).

I also heard ideas to expand Canberra's airport to essentially function as Sydney's second airport, due to the congestion their airport has. Though I've think they've decided on just expanding, or building a second airport instead?

All these things are important in the context of World Cup hosting, if Canberra even had one of these things establish by then, then your city would more more than attractive - you'd be too good to deny, hosting a WC.

Interesting OP BTW. Will be interesting to see what they do. You did not post a link to the article, who did the journo source for these proposals - where did he get his info? Govt?

I'm surprised they don't pursue refurbishing the existing Bruce Stadium, instead of building an entirely new stadium. That seems the easy option and ones govt's normally take, but some real top class new and larger rectangle stadium sounds awesome.

Sorry it was from the Canberra Times yesterday....

I just got it off the Canberra Raiders forum:

http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13923
Nonno Gomes
Nonno Gomes

Sun May 24, 2009 8:02 am
thom_canberra wrote:Its not that hard to catch a bus to the game, they are free, and then you can drink more:)

Why do Canberrans always have to drive everywhere

"Why do Canberrans always have to drive everywhere" here here!!!!
Joey47
Joey47

Sun May 24, 2009 12:32 pm
I usually catch a bus to the Raiders.... just not today though
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun May 24, 2009 5:29 pm
^^^^^^^^^^^
that's a lie and you know it, lol
Joey47
Joey47

Sun May 24, 2009 5:53 pm
aleague4canberra wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^
that's a lie and you know it, lol

no it's not...

It depends who I go with.

BTW, took it last week vs penrith
GloryPerth
GloryPerth

Wed May 27, 2009 8:28 pm
Here's a link with map to the light rail proposal, you guys should know more about it than I, as it's one of the ACT Govts. leading things they're wanting to establish. But it's all about funding ofcourse, especially as it's costed something around $1 Billion.

Here:
http://actlightrail.info/

UPDATE Future of Canberra Stadium ConceptMap%20May%202009

Looks pretty awesome to me and covers the city's urban area well, even reaching Queanbeyan. You will never have a full on metro network, not for 50+ years anyway, but this is the next best thing.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Wed May 27, 2009 9:53 pm
wow that looks really good and it goes straight past canberra stadium so they could easily make a station there
the head
the head
Location : Duffy. That's where I live mofo. Where I do my thing.

Thu May 28, 2009 8:56 am
I'm a massive fan of light rail, but I can't see it getting off the ground in the ACT anytime soon. ACTlightrail have been pushing this for a while now and the government placate them with a meeting every now and then; but it's only a token show of support.

We need more high density housing.
Joey47
Joey47

Fri May 29, 2009 5:10 pm
Nonno Gomes wrote:
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:

"Until we get the WC I don't think the parking needs much of an upgrade" that cause you don't drive, the parking there is atrocious!!!

plus improvements now strengthens our claims...

Try parking at the CIT. Just as short as walk as it is near the AIS. Plus Stack loads of parking area.
CanberraFanUK
CanberraFanUK
Other football teams : I have plenty of that being a Pom!

Sun May 31, 2009 10:00 am
Personally I've never had problems with parking at CS, only slight problem is getting out of the conjunction after Raiders games.

The light rail looks an awesome idea, but I would expect the same cheap travelling prices as though's on the buses.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun May 31, 2009 11:00 am
yep agreed canberrafanUK, if they made the prices too much the whole thing will just be a waste of time.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:06 pm
the light rail is great but im not a huge fan of the new stadium...
cufc_cc
cufc_cc
Other football teams : Leeds Utd

Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:48 am
aleague4canberra wrote:yep agreed canberrafanUK, if they made the prices too much the whole thing will just be a waste of time.

I am pretty certain that to sporting events at Canberra Stadium, tickets for public transport would be free. To catch ACTION Buses to the Canberra Raiders matches it is free.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:53 am
there was an article saying that if we don't get a license the ACT government aren't gonna build the new stadium just for the WC.
TheBigMan
TheBigMan
Other football teams : Millwall, Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:56 pm
ACT Government are stupid to make a threat like that because FFA will just deciede to play somewhere else
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:47 pm
hold on a sec think about this, with the WC bid under threat recently because of a lack of stadia funding and whatnot, can the FFA really afford to lose one of it's guaranteed stadiums?

IMO this could really help our bid, the FFA have constantly said that the WC bid is their main priority.

i can smell a provisional license to keep the ACT government interested.
(::FAQ::)
(::FAQ::)

UPDATE Future of Canberra Stadium Empty World Cup Stadium Scuttled

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:00 am
World Cup stadium scuttled

BY DAVID JEAN
20/09/2009 10:20:00 AM

A FAILED A-League bid will likely cost Canberra a hosting role in a future World Cup and scuttle plans for a grand upgrade of the Canberra Stadium precinct.
ACT sports minister Andrew Barr has conceded the Government won't be part of Australia's bid to host the World Cup finals in 2018 or 2022 unless Football Federation Australia grants Canberra an A-League licence.

With FFA rumoured to be close to awarding Western Sydney the competition's 12th franchise, Canberra's hopes of playing a part in a World Cup hosting bid now appear doomed.

Soccer's governing body FIFA has strict guidelines for stadiums hosting World Cup matches, including a requirement they fit a minimum of 43,000 fans. Canberra Stadium currently holds 25,000.

The Government detailed potential options in June for upgrading Canberra Stadium and Manuka Oval, with the grandest proposal involving twin stadiums in Bruce at a cost of $350million.

That project would have created a purpose-built rectangular stadium suitable for hosting World Cup matches standing next to a re-shaped Canberra Stadium.

While Mr Barr said the Government remained committed to upgrading the ACT's existing sporting facilities, delivering the most ambitious option would be contingent on either having an A-League team to make long-term use of the facilities, or a significant kick-in from the Federal Government.

Federal cabinet is expected to sign off on Commonwealth support for Australia's World Cup bid next month, but is unlikely to cover most of the costs associated with building a new stadium.

''If we're not going to have a team in the A-League and there isn't going to be a long-term legacy for football, then we'd have to question whether you'd spend the hundreds of millions of dollars that would go with being part of the World Cup bid,'' Mr Barr said. ''There are four different options for Canberra Stadium and three really involve upgrading the existing facilities, [but] all keeping the capacity between the 25,000 to 30,000 mark.

''That's all on the Government's agenda.

''But that's one thing, going to 43,000 is a whole other thing and for that you'd probably need to build a whole new stadium.

''The profile having the World Cup in Canberra would bring to the sport would be huge, but that only lasts for a few months if there's not a team here.

''We will support Canberra being involved with Australia for the 2015 Asia Cup, because the infrastructure we have would meet what's required for that.

''But the problem with the World Cup is that we'd obviously need a stadium that would accommodate 43,000.''

Instead of constructing a new stadium, it seems likely that the Government would proceed with more modest plans for Canberra Stadium and Manuka Oval.

The minimum cost to revamp the two grounds is estimated at $77million.

Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are the only cities with rectangular stadiums that meet FIFA's requirements.

Tasmania and the Northern Territory have already ruled out being part of the World Cup bids.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/world-cup-stadium-scuttled/1628117.aspx?storypage=0
Toby
Toby

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:15 pm
Wow ok things have just turned up a notch... It is good that the ACT are applying pressure on the FFA and from doing that they are helping us get a team.. that said if the FFA ignore us then Canberra won't get a new stadium or any world cup games.. It's delicate.. but I have the feeling that if the FFA ignore our bid then football in the ACT will be in shambles and will lose a decades worth of progress...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum