Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

A-league troubles may hurt Canberra Empty A-league troubles may hurt Canberra

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:46 am
A-League troubles may hurt Canberra

BY LEE GASKIN
10 Apr, 2010 10:23 AM

Ivan Slavich admits the financial woes of several A-League clubs will hinder Canberra's chances of inclusion into the national com-petition.
Slavich, the man behind Canberra's bid, believed Football Federation Australia would heed caution after Gold Coast United became the latest club to strike difficulty.

United which only entered the A-League last season faces an uncertain future after mining magnate Clive Palmer's decision to reportedly withdraw funding from the club.

United is far from alone in bleeding money, with North Queensland Fury, Brisbane Roar and Adelaide United all forced to beg the FFA for a cash handout.

Despite that, expansion remains on the cards, with Melbourne Heart opening its doors for the 2010-11 campaign.

Western Sydney is scheduled to enter the competition a year later.

For more, pick up a copy of today's Canberra Times
Chris1822
Chris1822

A-league troubles may hurt Canberra Empty Re: A-league troubles may hurt Canberra

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:48 am
Personally I don't really think it makes a difference because NQ and GCU both had ownership models based around one person whereas the canberra bid has always been far from that and more of a community based model.
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

A-league troubles may hurt Canberra Empty Re: A-league troubles may hurt Canberra

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:43 am
I doubt we will get in for a number of years now. The FFA, will either need to make sure that EVERYTHING with Canberra/South Coast/Tasmania is up to scratch, and I mean EVERYTHING or they will delay until maybe 2015, because to be fair the regional clubs (GCU and NQF), so far have been a bit of a failure. And Canberra is considered a regional centre.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:54 pm
This whole thing with the gold coast just makes me really annoyed because canberra's crying out for team yet the gold coast really couldn't give two rats about theirs.
MattK
MattK
Other football teams : Blackburn Rovers FC

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:00 pm
There seems to be a lot more going than what is or has been reported up here in regards to Nth QLD, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Most the rumours tend to centre around Palmer, Metheson and Lowey and what they are getting for their dollars, albeit millions. If the rumours are true there are some reasonable points being made by Palmer.

Schmich your bang on. Why on earth would you have a franchise model when one person can turn off the funds and the club folds is beyond me.

Adelaide have the right idea- i guess as do Melbourne. Adelaide Business Consortium has now taken over Adelaide United. ABC have also supported the idea of 'Mum and Dad' investors in the coming years, but for now they will take control and eliminate any financial risk.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/young-ready-to-seal-deal-for-reds/story-e6frecj3-1225844627091
MattK
MattK
Other football teams : Blackburn Rovers FC

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:53 pm
As we speak Palmer is seeking financial assistance to share his 4 million burden in China i have just found out.
Toby
Toby

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 am
I'm not really sure what it means for Canberra because the FFA clearly favor multi-ownership clubs (which, presumably Canberra would be) which is far more stable financially in the long-term.. the FFA's clear preference for well locally-supported teams should also strengthen Canberra's bid but that seems to be a very off the agenda issue for the FFA at the moment.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:58 am
Toby wrote:I'm not really sure what it means for Canberra because the FFA clearly favor multi-ownership clubs (which, presumably Canberra would be) which is far more stable financially in the long-term.. the FFA's clear preference for well locally-supported teams should also strengthen Canberra's bid but that seems to be a very off the agenda issue for the FFA at the moment.

Yeah these are the sentiments being made by the Tassie bid as well that these issues shouldn't hinder our chances, rather enhance them because the FFA can see what advantages these to community based clubs have.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:30 pm
this will probably delay for quite some time and if it means keeping the
a-league going and in full throtle... ill wait a little longer for an ACT team if the whole comp is at stake
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum