Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ACT Shelves World Cup Support

+9
spathi
Raider_United
Galileo
efcmetro1878
United On The Gong
pete
Golden_CU
RealCanberra23
Joey47
13 posters
Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

ACT Shelves World Cup Support Empty ACT Shelves World Cup Support

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:25 pm
ACT shelves World Cup support

BY CHRIS DUTTON AND MICHAEL INMAN

27/10/2009 7:41:00 AM

The ACT Government is preparing to turn its back on the world game and withdraw its support for Australia's FIFA World Cup bid and future A-League matches.
ACT sport minister Andrew Barr declared yesterday his intention to back out of Football Federation Australia's 2018 or 2022 World Cup bids in favour of luring a separate sporting ''bonanza'' to the capital.

And in a further blow to the ACT's relationship with the FFA, Mr Barr said the A-League clash between the Central Coast Mariners and Adelaide United on Saturday night could be the competition's last at Canberra Stadium. Mr Barr had initially hoped to host World Cup games or have international teams based in Canberra for the duration of the tournament.

But instead of spending millions of dollars on the infrastructure required to be an active participant in the World Cup, he now hopes to throw stranded NRL, AFL and Super rugby teams a Canberra lifeline.

If a bid was successful those codes would be unable to play on World Cup venues for up to two months before and during the tournament.

''[The AFL, NRL and Super15] are going to have to move away from Sydney and Melbourne and it might be strategically to our advantage not to have anything to do with the football World Cup and take extra AFL, rugby league and rugby union [matches] instead,'' Mr Barr said.

''If the other competitions aren't going to go into obedience [with FIFA and suspend action] for that period, then it could be a bonanza for Canberra.

''So we'll just be strategic in what we do in Canberra because we may be able to get the big tourism benefits that we want without having to outlay $200million on a new stadium.''

Canberra needs $200million to upgrade the Canberra Stadium precinct if it is to meet FIFA regulations and host World Cup matches.

Canberra Stadium and Manuka Oval will be upgraded to some extent, regardless of the ACT's involvement in the World Cup.

Federal Cabinet meets this week to discuss what funding it will provide to Australia's bid.

The ACT is relying on the Rudd Government to foot the majority of the $200million bill for a new stadium.

The FFA snubbed Canberra's attempt to enter the A-League last month and opted to award the 12th licence to western Sydney.

Mr Barr said there was no point hosting future A-League matches between two out-of-town teams.

Instead, he will lobby the FFA to bring more Socceroos internationals to Canberra Stadium.

Capital Football chief executive Heather Reid is hopeful Canberra would play some role in the World Cup bid to give the region's soccer fans an unforgettable experience.

But former National Soccer League player and father of current Socceroo Carl, Walter Valeri, backed the Government's decision.

''It was a sad day when Canberra got left out of the A-League and it's fair enough to say 'why should we support the World Cup when you can't even give it to us on a regular basis?''' Valeri said.

NRL clubs have already voiced their displeasure and shown unwillingness to ''shut down'' for eight weeks while soccer fever sweeps the country.

Canberra Raiders chairman John McIntyre supported Mr Barr's stance.

Mr McIntyre said the Raiders would be happy to share Canberra with other rugby league and sporting teams to make the capital a thriving national sport hub for the duration of the World Cup.

However, Adelaide United coach Aurelio Vidmar said, ''Every Australian, regardless of what state, needs to support these World Cup bids.

''I think it's very important that all codes, whether its football, rugby, netball, whatever it is, everyone should be supporting it.

''Every state and every government should be supporting it, because it's a massive tournament.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/act-shelves-world-cup-support/1659991.aspx?storypage=0
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

ACT Shelves World Cup Support Empty Re: ACT Shelves World Cup Support

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:30 pm
I hope he is just playing politics. Because if not then I am absolutely furious at the ACT Government. "Oh hey, instead of hosting the World's biggest sporting event in Canberra, why don't we just settle for the Swans vs the Demons instead". Yea I think that is a much better alternative. Luring a seperate "sporting bonanza". What the hell is he talking about? The World Cup is the biggest sporting bonanza in the world. I'm sure it is more of a bonzanza thatn seeing Swans-Demons play.

What is this gonna achieve? Yes, we didn't get an A-League team this time around but we were never going to get it, yes the FFA screwed us over but by continuing to support football in Australia will help our push towards a Canberra A-League team. The FFA made a big mistake in not accepting us or giving us a provisional licence but this is just going to hurt our Canberra A-league bid. This is a bloody disgrace.
RealCanberra23
RealCanberra23

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:29 pm
Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm

What is the government thinking? OK it is reasonable to have a quick whinge about it, but to ruin the prospects of being a World Cup host does give me the *****. Not happy Andrew!
Golden_CU
Golden_CU
Other football teams : Bradford City

Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:48 pm
:arms: Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm

No, no, no, no, no.

WHY THE HELL HAVE THEY COME OUT AND SAID THIS????? DUMB as dogshit. I'm sorry but what the hell will this achieve? It will just turn away the FFA's preference for a Canberra A-League team.
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:24 pm
Absolute disgrace!!
United On The Gong
United On The Gong

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:06 pm
This is a disgrace. Cannot see what good this will achieve. Australia will receive apparently 6 billion dollars because of this. I cannot understand.
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:14 pm
Dale will be writing a letter :(
Galileo
Galileo

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:30 am
Wha....?? Why? This is downright stupid. What Sporting Bonanza? The World Cup in the BIGGEST Sporting bonanza in the world.
Raider_United
Raider_United

Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:11 am
What would this achieve? Yes, maybe we'd lose money for upgrading Canberra Stadium, but we would gain it straight back after all the money we would rake in.

As people have said... This is biggest "Sporting Bonanza".
spathi
spathi
Other football teams : Liverpool, Barcelona

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:39 pm
Its just Andrew with his tool in his hand again ( barr that is ). That has to be on par with Clive Palmer reduceing GC crowds to 5,000, the most ridculous statement made by the sports minister so far. Hey lets face it he isn't the smartest tool in the shed. Cry
spathi
spathi

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:40 pm
Im sure Ivan loved the comments made the Barr tool. Mad
theblueorder
theblueorder
Other football teams : Rangers FC

Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:22 pm
I think we are more likely to get the 2022 World Cup rather than 2018.
Toby
Toby

Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:39 pm
As John put it Doubt
United On The Gong
United On The Gong

Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:47 pm
Toby wrote:As John put it Doubt

x2 lol
Expedite

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:08 pm
United On The Gong wrote:This is a disgrace. Cannot see what good this will achieve. Australia will receive apparently 6 billion dollars because of this. I cannot understand.

No i wont :p
pete
pete
Other football teams : Canberra United, Plymouth Argyle FC, Club America, LA Galaxy

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:04 am
This is the letter I wrote to the Minister.

Dear Minister,

I urge you to re-consider your stance on the ACT withdrawing support to host FIFA World Cup matches should Australia be successful in 2018/22. 3 points:

• The FIFA World Cup is a once in a lifetime opportunity to showcase Canberra to the World;
• Jobs for all people of the ACT i.e. Stadium construction, hotels;
• Football will leave a legacy which will benefit all codes (and cricket) through improved infrastructure.

While Canberra may be able to draw more NRL/AFL matches during this period you only need to look at last season when 2 games were scheduled on the same day. The Raiders drew 9000 while the Swans drew 7000 fans respectively.

Whilst I acknowledge you have since said you would be interested I believe the ACT would handsomely recover the $200M cost of holding 4-6 matches here through a huge boost in tourism, jobs and really give the people of the ACT something to be proud of which can’t be measured in dollars and cents. Imagine the chance of seeing England, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, France, Spain, Japan, South Korea, Italy or our Socceroos at a World Cup at Bruce? Now that is something our city should be striving for.

Regards,
(::FAQ::)
(::FAQ::)

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:22 am
pete wrote:This is the letter I wrote to the Minister.

Dear Minister,

I urge you to re-consider your stance on the ACT withdrawing support to host FIFA World Cup matches should Australia be successful in 2018/22. 3 points:

• The FIFA World Cup is a once in a lifetime opportunity to showcase Canberra to the World;
• Jobs for all people of the ACT i.e. Stadium construction, hotels;
• Football will leave a legacy which will benefit all codes (and cricket) through improved infrastructure.

While Canberra may be able to draw more NRL/AFL matches during this period you only need to look at last season when 2 games were scheduled on the same day. The Raiders drew 9000 while the Swans drew 7000 fans respectively.

Whilst I acknowledge you have since said you would be interested I believe the ACT would handsomely recover the $200M cost of holding 4-6 matches here through a huge boost in tourism, jobs and really give the people of the ACT something to be proud of which can’t be measured in dollars and cents. Imagine the chance of seeing England, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, France, Spain, Japan, South Korea, Italy or our Socceroos at a World Cup at Bruce? Now that is something our city should be striving for.

Regards,

Good letter and I agree with everything you have written.

I do not honestly see what we will achieve in passing this by. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity for probably everyone in Canberra and Australia. We cannot pass this by.
pete
pete

Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:40 pm
Minister's prompt response.
Peter
Thank you for your email and interest in the Football World Cup Bid. Contrary to the headline in Canberra Times, I have never said that the ACT was "withdrawing" from the bid. I simply said to the paper that the Government was considering three options:

1) be a host city
2) be a training venue
3) don't play any role in the bid.

To be a host city would require an investment of at least $200 million to build a new 43,000 seat stadium inside the next ten years. It would also require the ACT Government providing FIFA with a full indemnity for ALL costs associated with staging the event in Canberra (potentially tens of millions of dollars). This investment is beyond the ability of the Territory to fund on its own. We will need assistance from the Federal Government to build a new stadium and to assist with the costs of staging the event. As this is an Australian bid, not a states and territories bid, the Federal Government must be involved. To date they have ruled out any support for stadium infrastructure or indemnity costs.

If Federal assistance is not forthcoming then we will (like Tasmania and the Northern Territory) be part of the bid as a training venue. In this scenario, we would attract teams and fans to Canberra without requiring a massive stadium investment and meeting all costs of the event.
If we are a training venue for world cup teams and therefore are not excluded from hosting other sports, it would make sense to host games from other codes that will be relocated from Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

Thank you again for your email and I trust this information clarifies the situation for you.
Yours sincerely
Andrew Barr
United On The Gong
United On The Gong

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:16 pm
I am pretty confident that the Federal Government will put in a lot of the money to help get this bid over the line. They are the ones pushing it, so why wouldn't they contribute in the money for stadiums?
spathi
spathi

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:39 pm
United On The Gong wrote:I am pretty confident that the Federal Government will put in a lot of the money to help get this bid over the line. They are the ones pushing it, so why wouldn't they contribute in the money for stadiums?

Thats right Gong, so why the hell is Barr being a total arse with his comments. Maybe just posturing for
re-election. Question Hmmm Hmmm Mad Mad Thumbs Down Thumbs Down
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum