Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

(Canberra Related) Empty (Canberra Related)

Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:53 pm
Kofi holds out for peace talks

YOUNG Socceroos striker Kofi Danning, proudly wearing the national team tracksuit as he boarded a flight bound for Buenos Aires yesterday morning, looked like another teenager without a care in the world.

But, deep down, the 18-year-old is increasingly nervous. He knows this three-match tour in South America could be the last time he gets to wear the Australian colours for up to five years, and potentially - if fate conspires against him - forever. That's because Danning, who relocated to Australia from Ghana as a seven-year old, has been ruled ineligible to represent Australia at a major tournament by a revision made to the FIFA statutes last year.

Under the new rules, a player wanting to play for their adopted nation must have a parent or grandparent born in that country.

And with the under-20 World Cup in Egypt three months away, Football Federation Australia, Young Socceroos coach Jan Versleijen and Danning himself are all still waiting on the outcome of an appeal, lodged several months ago.

"I am really hoping for it to be resolved before the World Cup because it will put the stress of going to such a big event away for good," Danning said before flying out. "But I don't know when we'll get an answer. The FFA's dealing with the issue more than me. I've given them all the proof, notification and facts about my circumstances and now all we can do is wait.

"Even though the decision hasn't quite been made I'm still part of the team for now. I'll still try my best and won't let it affect me. I'm just hoping that it does get cleared and I do get the chance to represent Australia."

FFA high performance chief John Boultbee revealed last week that the reason for the delay was the backlog of appeals made by other nations and that each case had to be assessed by an independent judge. Two other national players, Alex Cisak and Luke Bratten, also have applications pending.

The Sydney FC midfielder understands and appreciates why FIFA made the changes, and knows the FFA supports the changes, but argues he should be allowed to play having come to Australia for non-football reasons and well before the change was made.

"They made this new ruling last year because there's been issues where other countries have dragged players in and changed their citizenship," he said. "That's been giving them advantages over other countries, so now they want to stop and get countries to bring their own talent through.

"With me, I came to Australia to have a different life and I didn't really ever expect to get in the national team. But it happened and I'm trying to appeal the fact that I was here before FIFA changed the rule. We're hoping they'll understand the real reason for why I came here."

Danning's other option is to switch allegiances back to Ghana, and while he admits to toying with the idea, he'd rather stick out the five-year wait if that's what it means to play for his adopted country.

"Yeah, it was a question. I always thought that I could go back home and things could work out for me there but I've had my opportunities here. I've grown up here. I like the culture here and the multi-cultural structure," he said. "Australia's a great country. I love it like any other Aussie would love it and that's why I want to play for Australia."

While Danning is keeping his fingers crossed, he's planning to use next week's matches against Uruguay, the United States and local club side Tiro Federal to help boost his chances of a spot in the first XI at the World Cup. "Hopefully I'll do well," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/kofi-hopes-peace-talks-let-him-become-united-with-his-adopted-nation/2009/07/22/1247941961579.html

This could've come under Socceroos or A-League but he is a Canberra Boy so i decided to put it here.
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

(Canberra Related) Empty Re: (Canberra Related)

Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:55 pm
hmm interesting considering he's played all his senior football here, hope justice comes through for him.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:09 pm
i if he plays for ghana it wouldn't be as good if he plays for aus

Last edited by JohnLovesCanberraUnited on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:14 pm
I would like it if he plays in A-League for another 5 years or so... but i hope he plays for Australia
Toby
Toby

Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:10 pm
yeah he is one of my favorite a-league players I hope he will be able to play for us and become and aussie! Very Happy he definately has the potential to become a full socceroo down the road.
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:47 am
Hope he deosn't head over to Ghana. He is going to be a Socceroo, no doubt.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum