Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

official Canberra A-League team name

+45
Golden_CU
FC United of Canberra
tbayern
Admin_Capital Punishment
alan
theblueorder
efcmetro1878
mikey_porto
RealCanberra23
stevieg84lfc
Swagman
Pittodrie Boy
Tuggies6
Sebastian
(::FAQ::)
xEAx
cufc_cc
Galileo
langers
Raider_United
Parrbo
TheBigMan
Toby
Gerrards_Homies808
bypopulardemand
Capital Thunder
Kaibo
spets
BrotherEstapol
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Alex351
the head
MinsterMan
brettles
Gate7
Yid_Army
Lahrio
Social_Loafer
arinceo
Nonno Gomes
Joey47
choice bro cheers
Chris1822
Que?
thom_canberra
49 posters
Go down

what should canberra's potential a-league team be called?

2 - 5%
25 - 64%
1 - 3%
10 - 26%
1 - 2%

Total Votes: 39

Toby
Toby

official Canberra A-League team name - Page 7 Empty Re: official Canberra A-League team name

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:18 pm
the thing is you can unite anywhere that has more then two houses... well Canberra Athletic sounds too European for my liking and nothing really original to the area but it's better then United to say the least. I'm still going to push my fantasy a-league team name 'Canberra Royal Bluebell FC' because i think it is unique to this region and taking the native flower is a first in Australian club names. It has everything our club should represent (see previous posts". Otherwise I'll join Alex with 'Royal Canberra FC' as after all we are the capital and therefore should be seen as an elite club even if we don't get the cash for nice marquees.

Out of the proposed My top 3:

1. Canberra Royal Bluebell Football club
2. Royal Canberra FC
3. Canberra Athletic
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

official Canberra A-League team name - Page 7 Empty Re: official Canberra A-League team name

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:31 pm
^^
fair call.

i wouldn't mind royal canberra FC either.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 pm
My Top 3:
1) Canberra United
2) Royal Canberra
3) Canberra Athletic

Sorry but I dont like the Bluebells or 1913 or just FC... you all might be against me for having United as number 1 but that is the name that the team would be called no matter what we say.... its been decieded so im just going to get use to it. But i love the name Athletic and Royal.... cant you just imagine the whole crowd chanting...royal, royal, royal.... classic
Toby
Toby

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:37 pm
How about Canberra's athletic royals FC ha ha ha ha Woot!
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:38 pm
Royal Canberra Athletic Bluebells 1913 United FC lol
Sebastian
Sebastian
Other football teams : Liverpool, Rangers, Leeds United

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:55 pm
^^^^^^

Very Happy

its gonna be Canberra United but i love Royal Canberra FC Thumbs Up
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:50 pm
Ok, so hypothetically along with Adeliade United, Gold Coast United and Newcastle United Jets;
Tasmania would have to be called United when they get a team as they would be aiming to unite the whole island...

With 3 established and possibly 4 teams calling themselves United, do you all really think that Canberra should also be called United making it possibly 5 teams??

In my opinion this would be ridiculous and we should try and be called something a bit more original such as Canberra Athletic,

Some great examples of the name are Wigan Athletic, Charlton Athletic, Atletico Madrid etc.
Tuggies6
Tuggies6

Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:41 am
Defo has to be 'Canberra United FC' as that is what the whole bid has been based around...uniting the football community of Canberra. No need for something fancy...just keep it simple.
Pittodrie Boy
Pittodrie Boy

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 pm
Picking a name now is like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic! Let's dodge the icebergs and win the bid first.
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:12 pm
Tuggies6 wrote:Defo has to be 'Canberra United FC' as that is what the whole bid has been based around...uniting the football community of Canberra. No need for something fancy...just keep it simple.

Whats so fancy about Canberra Athletic? It's simple and original...

There are just (and will be) way too many "uniteds" in the A-League for it to be a suitable name for Canberra. It just won't work.

Pittodrie Boy on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 pmPicking a name now is like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic! Let's dodge the icebergs and win the bid first.

But yes, I do agree with you Pittodrie Boy as we should be channeling all our effort and focus to the bid for now, and then when the team is granted, we can have this discussion more passionately.
Tuggies6
Tuggies6

Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:10 pm
That deosnt make any sense. Just cause its original doesnt make it any good...look at 'Melbourne Heart'...that is original and will be the the g@yest name yet.

The name should reflect the team. What does 'Canberra Athletic' mean???

Unfortunatley we cant be just be called 'Canberra FC' cause one of the local clubs that have a shirt that looks like a table cloth strategically changed to that a few years back.

'United' isnt the name of the team...it reflects what the team represents...a United football community within Canberra.

Trying to manafacture something cool and 'original' by calling the team 'Dynamo Canberra', 'Canberra Lokomtiv' or 'Canberra Athletic' is silly.

Its a United bid from all corners of Canberra's football fraternity.

'United' - *clap clap clap* - 'United' - *clap clap clap* 'united' - *clap clap clap*...
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:11 pm
^^^ Surprised
Ok, so firstly the Melbourne heart franchise is just using the "heart" part of their name as a working title and will definately be changed with a vote by a group of the clubs new supporters/investors etc. probably to Melbourne City,

Secondly, What is wrong with Athletic? It represents the Canberra sporting theme with a whole establishment of organisations such as the AIS, ACTAS, Capital Football, all the local clubs etc. etc.

How would "Athletic" be such a bad representation of the Canberra and surrounding region?

Whose to say our football communtity won't be "united" just because we don't have it in our team name;
Canberra Athletic could represent the most united football community in Australia, just as you said, "its not the name of the team, it reflects what the team represents"
Athletic would definately be an original reflection of what our team would represent.

Also, why are you comparing "athletic" to ethnic names such as dynamo and lokomotiv??
The name Athletic is used in teams from Britain as well as the rest of Europe, with (as I repeat) great examples being Wigan Athletic or Charlton Athletic

There is nothing fancy about this name as it is an original name as well as traditional, and is far from the ridiculous titles such as "roar" or "fury"...

This bid will still be united from all corners of Canberra's football fraternity(whatever that means)

and Just because you like the sound of a chant dosen't mean we should be called something that is most likely to be in 4 other teams in the A-League.

Tuggeranong are shi*...
Tuggies6
Tuggies6

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:27 am
Now there is no need to get personal just because someone doesnt like your lame idea of a name. This A-League bid is suppose to be 'Uniting' the fans from all clubs, not taking pot shots at each other...

Canberra Athletic FC...nup...doesnt do it for me Im afraid...

'United' - *clap clap clap* - 'United' - *clap clap clap* 'united' - *clap clap clap*...
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:04 pm
How am I getting personal?

And its not just my idea for the name, its 17 others on this forum as well & many ppl haven't voted so i'm sure it out-does your pathetic copy of a name...

Are you listening to any of my points for this argument or are you just going to keep on with your united chant Surprised Cool
Toby
Toby

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:27 pm
There are too many united's for my liking

Last edited by Toby on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Swagman
Swagman

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:59 pm
ummm does the name have to be based on 'Canberra' per se? Federal FC, Brindabella Broncos, Molonglo Mavericks are just a few ideas off the top of my head but anything that adds a regional flavour to the name has to be a good thing if we're in the business of attracting crowds after we (hopefully) get Buckley to see sense and get us in the comp.
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:01 am
Swagman wrote:ummm does the name have to be based on 'Canberra' per se? Federal FC, Brindabella Broncos, Molonglo Mavericks are just a few ideas off the top of my head but anything that adds a regional flavour to the name has to be a good thing if we're in the business of attracting crowds after we (hopefully) get Buckley to see sense and get us in the comp.

I believe it does. That is why Nothern Thunder for North QLD Fury was knocked back because it didn't show who they are representing.
Toby
Toby

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:28 pm
The general consensus on this forum to date is that Canberra Athletic and Royal Canberra are the most popular for different reasons. I have tried to think of a term which merges both ideas. Guys lets also not forget that this club will likely exist for future generations so we really need to choose carefully... Personally, I think the name should reflect the uniqueness of Canberra, the AIS and the philosophy behind our club. For example Canberra Athletic (which I think in its self is a fairly accurate term but lacks depth) will make most people think of Charlton or wigan rather then why we are Canberra Athletic. Why don't we try to find a new term that expresses the same images as athletic but possibly more relevant to the AIS, our youth and has the touch of 'Royal'? After all Canberra's philosophy should be looking to push its AIS members and it would be great if we found a name that supported that mentality. The best term (though maybe others can think of other names) I could think of is Canberra Gunners which I think nicely classifies our imagery of giving young guns a shot.. I think it is a term that adds 'Athletic and Royal' together. It also implies good attacking football whilst adds a touch of class to the team (I believe that whilst we won't be a team with alot of dough we should still consider consider ourselves as a top team as we are from the capital and accordingly we should respect ourselves). Maybe some will laugh because of the terms connections with 'The Gunners' ie Arsenal in which I fully respect but it also gives that idea of being quality whilst Arsenal are known to support youth. Our largest football community to my knowledge have British backgrounds and this term I believe may be supported by that community.. Anyhow I would like to hear what you guys think?
Gate7
Gate7
Other football teams : Olympiakos

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:47 am
Toby wrote:The general consensus on this forum to date is that Canberra Athletic and Royal Canberra are the most popular for different reasons. I have tried to think of a term which merges both ideas. Guys lets also not forget that this club will likely exist for future generations so we really need to choose carefully... Personally, I think the name should reflect the uniqueness of Canberra, the AIS and the philosophy behind our club. For example Canberra Athletic (which I think in its self is a fairly accurate term but lacks depth) will make most people think of Charlton or wigan rather then why we are Canberra Athletic. Why don't we try to find a new term that expresses the same images as athletic but possibly more relevant to the AIS, our youth and has the touch of 'Royal'? After all Canberra's philosophy should be looking to push its AIS members and it would be great if we found a name that supported that mentality. The best term (though maybe others can think of other names) I could think of is Canberra Gunners which I think nicely classifies our imagery of giving young guns a shot.. I think it is a term that adds 'Athletic and Royal' together. It also implies good attacking football whilst adds a touch of class to the team (I believe that whilst we won't be a team with alot of dough we should still consider consider ourselves as a top team as we are from the capital and accordingly we should respect ourselves). Maybe some will laugh because of the terms connections with 'The Gunners' ie Arsenal in which I fully respect but it also gives that idea of being quality whilst Arsenal are known to support youth. Our largest football community to my knowledge have British backgrounds and this term I believe may be supported by that community.. Anyhow I would like to hear what you guys think?

the canberra gunners already exist, they are a basketball team which play in the seabl(second strongest bballl league in australia) and they have a rich 20+ year history. as for royal you can shove that idea up ur ass, canberra athletic should be the name if not lets call the team Canberra Hellas
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:09 am
^^
the point was not that we call ourselves canberra gunners because obviously it's already taken, just something along those lines.

i agree with toby but i just can't think of anything now.
Toby
Toby

Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:14 am
ah ok I didn't realize they already existed.
Joey47
Joey47

Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:54 pm
Canberra City FC?
Canberra Hotspur?
Greater Canberra United?

Copyrighting the "Mumbai Indians" from the Indian Premier League- "Canberra Australians"
Wink lol

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:13 pm
aleague4canberra wrote:i'm in favour of calling the team something like canberra, capital or act.

As opposed to what? lol Dumbest comment on this forum so far, anyone?

Proud2BeCanberran wrote:Canberra City FC?
Canberra Hotspur?
Greater Canberra United?

Copyrighting the "Mumbai Indians" from the Indian Premier League- "Canberra Australians" Wink lol

Canberra City FC- I REALLY like, but it does reek of the old NSL team and the public of Canberra may think like this.

Canberra Hotspur- I also really do like as well. It just has that 'ring' to it.

Greater Canberra United- I'm not so sure about. Good thinking but the name just doesn't sound like a real football name.

As for the Mumbai Indians comment. ROFL lol ROFL lol ROFL lol
Joey47
Joey47

Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:17 pm
How about just AFC Canberra?
Joey47
Joey47

Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:45 pm
RaidersCampese6 wrote:
aleague4canberra wrote:i'm in favour of calling the team something like canberra, capital or act.

As opposed to what? lol Dumbest comment on this forum so far, anyone?

lol

Certainly brought it out when it was dead and buried- but yer, was a very dumb comment. lol
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum