Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

official Canberra A-League team name

+45
Golden_CU
FC United of Canberra
tbayern
Admin_Capital Punishment
alan
theblueorder
efcmetro1878
mikey_porto
RealCanberra23
stevieg84lfc
Swagman
Pittodrie Boy
Tuggies6
Sebastian
(::FAQ::)
xEAx
cufc_cc
Galileo
langers
Raider_United
Parrbo
TheBigMan
Toby
Gerrards_Homies808
bypopulardemand
Capital Thunder
Kaibo
spets
BrotherEstapol
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Alex351
the head
MinsterMan
brettles
Gate7
Yid_Army
Lahrio
Social_Loafer
arinceo
Nonno Gomes
Joey47
choice bro cheers
Chris1822
Que?
thom_canberra
49 posters
Go down

what should canberra's potential a-league team be called?

2 - 5%
25 - 64%
1 - 3%
10 - 26%
1 - 2%

Total Votes: 39

Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

official Canberra A-League team name - Page 3 Empty Re: official Canberra A-League team name

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:40 pm
but once again lets face it the name is gonna be canberra united.
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

official Canberra A-League team name - Page 3 Empty Re: official Canberra A-League team name

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:48 pm
Then there will be 4 "United's" in the league if the team is called Canberra United.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:51 pm
Alex351 wrote:Then there will be 4 "United's" in the league if the team is called Canberra United.

i'm not saying that i want them to be called united, just that that is what they are gonna call them.
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:23 pm
not necessarily, just because the womans team is called united dosen't mean a thing. There hasn't been nearly the amount of planning and preperation for the womans team as there would be for the mens and the w-league isn't particularly established, its only been running for a year so why should that determine what the mens team is called?
Chris1822
Chris1822

Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:58 pm
I just emailed ivan slavich about it and he said that it'll be an FFA call but probably united, he also said he'd like to push what the public want however.
Gate7
Gate7
Other football teams : Olympiakos

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:04 pm
u cant call the team Canberra 1913 because the team wasnt founded in 1913. Im a big fan of teams with their foundation years in there names but 1913 isnt the foundation year of the club it is the foundation year of the city. Canberra Athletic would be the best name.

CANBERRA ATHLETIC!!!!!

Lets push for it
Joey47
Joey47
Other football teams : Leeds United, Reggina Calcio
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:07 pm
Gate7 wrote:u cant call the team Canberra 1913 because the team wasnt founded in 1913. Im a big fan of teams with their foundation years in there names but 1913 isnt the foundation year of the club it is the foundation year of the city. Canberra Athletic would be the best name.

CANBERRA ATHLETIC!!!!!

Lets push for it

Because I conrtibuted in the email I know of the information. We never said that 1913 crap. We said Atheltic is a fans favourite and shoould be used.
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 pm
Canberra Athletic!!!
Gate7
Gate7

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:23 am
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:
Gate7 wrote:u cant call the team Canberra 1913 because the team wasnt founded in 1913. Im a big fan of teams with their foundation years in there names but 1913 isnt the foundation year of the club it is the foundation year of the city. Canberra Athletic would be the best name.

CANBERRA ATHLETIC!!!!!

Lets push for it

Because I conrtibuted in the email I know of the information. We never said that 1913 crap. We said Atheltic is a fans favourite and shoould be used.

i was talking to spets
Kaibo

Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:32 pm
Canberra Green FC
Capital Thunder
Capital Thunder
Other football teams : Hull City AFC; Maccabi Haifa; Socceroos

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:41 am
I like Canberra Athletic but keep in mind that we're also talking about the region around Canberra which we'll need for support, funding, players etc. That's why the Brumbies aren't called the ACT Brumbies anymore.

Maybe Capital Athletic?
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:59 am
the brumbies are still called the ACT brumbies aren't they???

capital athletic sounds good too. anything with capital or canberra sounds decent except maybe capital green FC.
Joey47
Joey47

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:01 pm
^^^^^^

na they are called just the Brumbies now
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:08 pm
i'm in favour of calling the team something like canberra, capital or act.
bypopulardemand

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:58 pm
Im in favour of keeping it simple why not Canberra Football Club (Canberra FC)?
No need to copy the name of a european or asian team.
Sure Royal Canberra if its sanctioned by the monarch, otherwise its just copying Real Madrid.
There isnt much reason to use Athletic other than to copy Spanish clubs.
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:33 pm
Athletic isn't just a Spanish thing, what about Wigan Athletic in the EPL??

Canberra FC isn't as individual as Athletic, which is a good representation for a Canberra team, also I think Canberra FC is taken by Canberra Deakin under copyright.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 pm
yeah thom_canberra it is copyrighted
Gerrards_Homies808
Gerrards_Homies808
Other football teams : Liverpool F.C.& Celtic F.C.

Fri May 01, 2009 10:33 am
I have to join the rest of the crowd it should be Canberra Athletic because CanberraF.C just reminds me of the Croatian club and Canberra Olympic Is taken by the Greeks so i think that would be the best to go. :D
Gerrards_Homies808
Gerrards_Homies808
Other football teams : Liverpool F.C.& Celtic F.C.

Fri May 01, 2009 10:36 am
But really i dont think we should go with a name more a title because all the names in the A-League r s**t e.g. Melbourne Victory, Perth Glory, Wellington Pheonix etc. the only good ones are like the Newcastle Jets, the NQLD Fury etc.
Joey47
Joey47

Fri May 01, 2009 3:28 pm
Gerrards_Homies808 wrote:But really i dont think we should go with a name more a title because all the names in the A-League r s**t e.g. Melbourne Victory, Perth Glory, Wellington Pheonix etc. the only good ones are like the Newcastle Jets, the NQLD Fury etc.

:?: :?: :?:

they are the crappiest out of all of them.
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri May 01, 2009 5:02 pm
yeah the jets and fury are a few of the worst i like the traditional names like united, athletic, FC...
Toby
Toby

Sun May 03, 2009 2:06 am
I think Canberra Athletic and Canberra United are too European and not really unique to our region. We shouldn't base our title on what other clubs in Europe call themselves. For this reason I find NQF, Brisbane Roar, Perth Glory, Melbourne Victory and Wellington Phoenix unique. Our aim should be to find a name which incorporates the ACT and local NSW. Canberra's uniqueness can be reflected on the logo (ex: capital hill). If you look at teams across Asia (where we will be playing most of our football outside of Australia) they mainly use their city names (example : J-league, K-league, V-league, Q league etc). We need a name reflecting our area whilst being recognisable throughout Asia. What about Greater Canberra F.C. ?
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun May 03, 2009 10:18 am
^^^^^^^^^^^^

yeah i sort of agree with you tobster. i just can't really think of a name that fits the criteria suggested.
Gate7
Gate7

Sun May 03, 2009 8:00 pm
i sort of agree that anyone opposing canberra athletic should shut the hell up
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Sun May 03, 2009 10:45 pm
For this reason I find NQF, Brisbane Roar, Perth Glory, Melbourne Victory and Wellington Phoenix unique.

Whats so unique about these names? Fury, Roar, Phoenix. They sound like names from the MLS in America. Who would want names like this? they sound stupid and have no football essence about them.

The A-League is a great example of an original and growing football league in the AFC. Names such as Adeliade United, Sydney FC, CCM FC, Gold Coast United all reflect original but inspired true football names and dont sound like some silly MLS team.

"Athletic" would not only be original to the A-League, it would truly represent the ACT and surrounding region with its great sporting history and culture.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum