Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

official Canberra A-League team name

+45
Golden_CU
FC United of Canberra
tbayern
Admin_Capital Punishment
alan
theblueorder
efcmetro1878
mikey_porto
RealCanberra23
stevieg84lfc
Swagman
Pittodrie Boy
Tuggies6
Sebastian
(::FAQ::)
xEAx
cufc_cc
Galileo
langers
Raider_United
Parrbo
TheBigMan
Toby
Gerrards_Homies808
bypopulardemand
Capital Thunder
Kaibo
spets
BrotherEstapol
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Alex351
the head
MinsterMan
brettles
Gate7
Yid_Army
Lahrio
Social_Loafer
arinceo
Nonno Gomes
Joey47
choice bro cheers
Chris1822
Que?
thom_canberra
49 posters
Go down

what should canberra's potential a-league team be called?

2 - 5%
25 - 64%
1 - 3%
10 - 26%
1 - 2%

Total Votes: 39

Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

official Canberra A-League team name - Page 9 Empty Re: official Canberra A-League team name

Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:58 pm
why will it be united john?
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

official Canberra A-League team name - Page 9 Empty Re: official Canberra A-League team name

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:00 pm
well because the w-league team is united and the bid has been advertised as united... so it could change but i think it is something that slavich and the gang wouldnt be bothered in doing
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:04 pm
JohnLovesCanberraUnited wrote:well because the w-league team is united and the bid has been advertised as united... so it could change but i think it is something that slavich and the gang wouldnt be bothered in doing

the w-league team is united?

may i remind you that the w-league is not the same as the canberra a-league bid. all of the w-league and a-league teams are seperate entities.

the bid has been advertised as united?

where?? i've never seen this stated

Slavich couldn't be bothered?

this is potentially a huge marketing ploy that could add or detract from the success of the team so i think that it's something that he would bother with don't you?

JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:11 pm
Schimch@capital hill wrote:
JohnLovesCanberraUnited wrote:well because the w-league team is united and the bid has been advertised as united... so it could change but i think it is something that slavich and the gang wouldnt be bothered in doing

the w-league team is united?

may i remind you that the w-league is not the same as the canberra a-league bid. all of the w-league and a-league teams are seperate entities.

the bid has been advertised as united?

where?? i've never seen this stated

Slavich couldn't be bothered?

this is potentially a huge marketing ploy that could add or detract from the success of the team so i think that it's something that he would bother with don't you?

the amount of support the bid has given to the w-league and how much they have backed the team will result in the team being called united... the name united has not been used by the bid, true, but how many times have you read "canberra bid, blah blah, canberra united, blah blah".... sure it could be a huge marketing ploy and im sure slavich would be bothered, but it costs a lot of money to rebrand something that has already essentially been branded.
Admin_Capital Punishment
Admin_Capital Punishment
https://capitalpunishment.forumotion.net

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:16 pm
doesn't have to be rebranded mate if it's not been branded yet.

and i've never read the bid being called united.
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:23 pm
im not saying that they will not call it athletic, im just saying its improbable because of the canberra united w-league link
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:33 pm
that's what i think admin and i were alluding to, there is no official link between the two.

the w-league is done by capital football i'm pretty sure, while the bid has been done independently
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:34 pm
but im sure theyd still want a relationship
Chris1822
Chris1822

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:43 pm
^^
the relationship would go much further i suspect than a superficial name parallel don't you?
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:44 pm
point taken... but it would help
tbayern
tbayern
Other football teams : Celtic FC, Tottenham Hotspur, FC Bayern Munchen

Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:10 pm
I like Canberra Athletic, it works well and United is too common these days...
FC United of Canberra
FC United of Canberra

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:58 pm
tbayern wrote:I like Canberra Athletic, it works well and United is too common these days...

x2.

Would also point out the relationship with the AIS our team would have.
Toby
Toby

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:07 am
I hope its not united as there are so many united's already plus what really are we "uniting" since the W-league is its own seperate club (as previously mentioned). Like all the other clubs (including Heart) the name was set out for the fans. Based on that trend I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same for Canberra. It is clear through the poll that people want athletic and I don't mind it but lets put further names forward after all im not sure if we are really going to decide the name in any case (after all 23 votes does not represent Canberra).

How about Canberra Sporting? Canberra Cockatoos hehe
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:05 pm
I REALLY don't want any franchise names like Fury, Victory and Mariners. I think a real football name like Athletic, Sporting, City would be much better and sound tons more pro.

Personally I like Royal Canberra (but i know of the issues regarding the Governor Generals permission) but I also like athletic and Sporting sounds good as well.

I can't stress enough though that I really want a PROPER football name.
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:52 pm
^^ x2
Alex351 completely agree, we need real football names for all new franchises!

also I think Brisbane Roar should change its name to FC Brisbane, its a shame they didn't do it when they went from Queensland to Brisbane...
Toby
Toby

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:32 am
Alex351 wrote:I REALLY don't want any franchise names like Fury, Victory and Mariners. I think a real football name like Athletic, Sporting, City would be much better and sound tons more pro.

Personally I like Royal Canberra (but i know of the issues regarding the Governor Generals permission) but I also like athletic and Sporting sounds good as well.

There is a strong possibility that it will be a franchise name. Might be worth coming up with some in case that is what the club wants.
efcmetro1878
efcmetro1878

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:37 pm
Alex351 wrote:Personally I like Royal Canberra (but i know of the issues regarding the Governor Generals permission) but I also like athletic and Sporting sounds good as well.
I can't see Royals Rugby being too happy with that.

I'm a fan of Athletic. Atletico de Canberra?
Alex351
Alex351
Other football teams : Real Madrid, Reading and Southport

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:31 pm
Toby wrote:
Alex351 wrote:I REALLY don't want any franchise names like Fury, Victory and Mariners. I think a real football name like Athletic, Sporting, City would be much better and sound tons more pro.

There is a strong possibility that it will be a franchise name. Might be worth coming up with some in case that is what the club wants.

True.. Doubt
bypopulardemand

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:58 pm
efcmetro1878 wrote:
Alex351 wrote:Personally I like Royal Canberra (but i know of the issues regarding the Governor Generals permission) but I also like athletic and Sporting sounds good as well.

umm shouldnt we us english words?

random cmon
Chris1822
Chris1822

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:35 pm
bypopulardemand wrote:
efcmetro1878 wrote:

umm shouldnt we us english words?

random cmon

no no the FFA love the whole ethnic tie marketing ploy
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:13 pm
Alex351 wrote:
Toby wrote:

True.. Doubt

that is true, we should probs starting thinking of some franchise names to go with athletic, united, etc...

wat about the arrows? (reflects old canberra city team) stars or galaxy? (reflects old cosmos team, possible alliance with LA galaxy?) rockets?
Golden_CU
Golden_CU
Other football teams : Bradford City

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:17 am
Sorry, but why would we be called a franchise name? I am pretty sure it is set in stone that it'll be United.
thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:08 pm
^^ Yea tell that to the 65% of ppl who voted differently on this forum.

But, why should we have some backup 'franchise' names, I am at least glad that the majority of argument is between our name being either 'United' or 'Athletic' and not a name like fury or roar...

Who said we should have some crappy basketball franchise names as a spare, is it FFA policy? Im not going to let my future team be called some franchise name for some random reason.

There is a good article on club naming and the culture around it all:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/10/14/how-important-are-a-teams-name-and-colours/
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:17 pm
^^

seeing that the a-league is a 'franchise team' based comp, we should probably think of some franchise names so that if the person deciding the name of the team is having look at the names we have got as possible candidates for names has some good franchise names to choose from rather than making up a s*** one if they dont choose athletic or united
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:24 pm
thom_canberra wrote:^^ x2
Alex351 completely agree, we need real football names for all new franchises!

also I think Brisbane Roar should change its name to FC Brisbane, its a shame they didn't do it when they went from Queensland to Brisbane...

their called brisbane roar for a reason, that reason is that the brisbane roar used to be the brisbane/queensland lions in the nsl, theyre just keeping their heritage in their name (and kits, they are originally a dutch team, hence the orange)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum