Capital Punishment Supporters Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

official Canberra A-League team name

+45
Golden_CU
FC United of Canberra
tbayern
Admin_Capital Punishment
alan
theblueorder
efcmetro1878
mikey_porto
RealCanberra23
stevieg84lfc
Swagman
Pittodrie Boy
Tuggies6
Sebastian
(::FAQ::)
xEAx
cufc_cc
Galileo
langers
Raider_United
Parrbo
TheBigMan
Toby
Gerrards_Homies808
bypopulardemand
Capital Thunder
Kaibo
spets
BrotherEstapol
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Alex351
the head
MinsterMan
brettles
Gate7
Yid_Army
Lahrio
Social_Loafer
arinceo
Nonno Gomes
Joey47
choice bro cheers
Chris1822
Que?
thom_canberra
49 posters
Go down

what should canberra's potential a-league team be called?

2 - 5%
25 - 64%
1 - 3%
10 - 26%
1 - 2%

Total Votes: 39

thom_canberra
thom_canberra
Other football teams : Ajax, Bolton

official Canberra A-League team name - Page 4 Empty Re: official Canberra A-League team name

Sun May 03, 2009 10:54 pm
BTW,
"Greater Canberra FC" is one of the the most ridiculous names i have heard so far.

Just because the team name would have Canberra in it dosen't mean it won't represent the surrounding region! The team would be based in Canberra and play its games at Canberra stadium but why should it not be called Canberra?

Canberra Athletic FC would represent the whole capital region around the ACT in NSW, it would just be too difficult and confusing to put that in its team name.

It would be known to other teams that Canberra Athletic FC has supporters from the whole region around the ACT, and is something that everyone to do with the team would be very proud of.
BrotherEstapol
BrotherEstapol

official Canberra A-League team name - Page 4 Empty Re: official Canberra A-League team name

Sun May 03, 2009 11:45 pm
Athletic would also be good in that since we'd the only "althetic" in the league, we could be refered to as the "Althetics" or even just the "Letics".
Toby
Toby

Mon May 04, 2009 2:40 am
Fair enough call, I only put Greater Canberra FC as an explanation to what I meant. There seems to be strong reasoning for a Canberra Athletic F.C. team and I think its the best one put forward. However that said, people won't connect 'Athletic' to the AIS or the capital region but rather they will immediately think of European and Spanish clubs. Arguably, you would have to keep explaining even to Canberrans why that name has anything to do with Canberra. I think a better name can be found which everyone from Canberra would immediately recognise and associate with. I think its still worth pondering over rather then it being a forgone conclusion.
Toby
Toby

Mon May 04, 2009 4:19 am
Alright I have found a name which I think fits all the criteria and is a real candidate. Hear me out and if no one likes it then I'll back Canberra Athletic. The proposed name is the Canberra Royal Bluebell F.C. The Royal Bluebell is the floral emblem of the ACT

(see:http://www.anbg.gov.au/emblems/act.emblem.html)

Reasons why this is appropriate:

a) The flower is petite and acts as a symbolic image of our club being small compared to Sydney, GCU etc.

b) Takes grassroots football literally and symbolically

c) Unique to the ACT and the region

d) adds a touch of class and uniqueness to the name

e) Unique football team in Australia (and possibly the world) to use local floral for its name

f) symbolic imagery of the club blossoming

g) recognisable to all Canberrans (well to those who know our floral emblem at least).

On the logo it could be possible to have parliament house with a picture of the Royal Bluebell with it.
Toby
Toby

Mon May 04, 2009 4:36 am
It also leaves open the nickname for the supporters being 'the royals' or 'the bluebells'.
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Mon May 04, 2009 5:10 pm
Well its no Canberra Athletic but maybe the team can have a bluebell on its logo and can be called "the bluebells" as a nickname like the trotters for bolton.

I still think Athletic is perfect
thom_canberra
thom_canberra

Mon May 04, 2009 5:12 pm
On the logo it could be possible to have parliament house with a picture of the Royal Bluebell with it.

Sounds good, but ...

Stick with Athletic
Chris1822
Chris1822
Other football teams : reggina, everton any other club that has an aussie

Mon May 04, 2009 6:19 pm
Tobster wrote:Alright I have found a name which I think fits all the criteria and is a real candidate. Hear me out and if no one likes it then I'll back Canberra Athletic. The proposed name is the Canberra Royal Bluebell F.C. The Royal Bluebell is the floral emblem of the ACT

a) The flower is petite and acts as a symbolic image of our club being small compared to Sydney, GCU etc.

e) Unique football team in Australia (and possibly the world) to use local floral for its name

g) recognisable to all Canberrans (well to those who know our floral emblem at least).

i can sort of understand where you're coming from but associating ourselves with a flower is enough to turn me away, good reasons nonetheless.

there's a reason for point e)
Nonno Gomes
Nonno Gomes

Mon May 04, 2009 9:02 pm
aleague4canberra wrote:
Tobster wrote:Alright I have found a name which I think fits all the criteria and is a real candidate. Hear me out and if no one likes it then I'll back Canberra Athletic. The proposed name is the Canberra Royal Bluebell F.C. The Royal Bluebell is the floral emblem of the ACT

i can sort of understand where you're coming from but associating ourselves with a flower is enough to turn me away, good reasons nonetheless.

there's a reason for point e)

point d did it for me "a touch of class". we now need that on the field! well argumented also.
Toby
Toby

Tue May 05, 2009 2:52 am
Well the warratahs are named after the flower emblem for NSW so I disagree with a club being linked to a flower as weak. Arguably they are the best known Rugby club and their floral image=the club. If a rugby team can have it then so can a football team. By the way traces of animals on football jerseys can be seen everywhere (List of jerseys with animal representation: France, england, Roma, Japan, Chelsea, Russia etc etc). Infact most teams have a representation. Argentina and Everton even use wheat on their shirts. I can confirm that we wouldn't be the only team with a flower symbol as the South African football jersey (yes I searched randomly across the world) has some native flower on it and Saudi Arabia has a palm tree. Well I think we need to hear some more opinions on this!
Nonno Gomes
Nonno Gomes

Tue May 05, 2009 9:53 am
Tobster wrote:Well the warratahs are named after the flower emblem for NSW so I disagree with a club being linked to a flower as weak. Arguably they are the best known Rugby club and their floral image=the club. If a rugby team can have it then so can a football team. By the way traces of animals on football jerseys can be seen everywhere (List of jerseys with animal representation: France, england, Roma, Japan, Chelsea, Russia etc etc). Infact most teams have a representation. Argentina and Everton even use wheat on their shirts. I can confirm that we wouldn't be the only team with a flower symbol as the South African football jersey (yes I searched randomly across the world) has some native flower on it and Saudi Arabia has a palm tree. Well I think we need to hear some more opinions on this!

I agree that we need more opinions on this but i'm sorry it just made me laugh that at 3 in the morning some guy is researching sporting teams emblems then reporting back to this forum lol! keep up the good work we need more dedicated souls like you!!!
the head
the head
Location : Duffy. That's where I live mofo. Where I do my thing.

Tue May 05, 2009 9:58 am
It doesn't quite roll off the tongue but I do like it. I'd watch them play.
Toby
Toby

Tue May 05, 2009 10:32 am
Haha actually no I'm living in Vietnam till December so time difference, I was wondering if someone would pick that up hehe, btw the V-league has some fairly decent strikers and a couple of real good midfielders, their defenders are pretty rubbish though!
Chris1822
Chris1822

Tue May 05, 2009 5:01 pm
the waratahs, i forgot about them. anyway well argued but i'll go with my back up argument in that it just doesn't roll off the tongue.
Gate7
Gate7
Other football teams : Olympiakos

Tue May 05, 2009 5:10 pm
Tobster wrote:Haha actually no I'm living in Vietnam till December so time difference, I was wondering if someone would pick that up hehe, btw the V-league has some fairly decent strikers and a couple of real good midfielders, their defenders are pretty rubbish though!

if the defenders r rubbish wouldnt that make the midfielders and strikers look better than they actually are? maybe the strikers and midfielders r rubbish too.

ur probably right though, i just sed the above for the sake of causing an argument
Toby
Toby

Tue May 05, 2009 9:15 pm
Well Fabiano was picked up from Chonburi FC in Thailand but current Binh Duong (VN) striker - Philani, was scouted by Adelaide United but later on they opted for a different player. Binh Duong are the current V-league champions and he is a player worth considering (Youth South African international)
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
JohnLovesCanberraUnited
Other football teams : Leeds United, AFC Wimbledon

Sun May 10, 2009 3:54 pm
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:Yea what are we actually Uniting. Athletic for me.

We are uniting Canberra!!! duh... so lets go with united but I do like athletic because it sooo original... u know wat i change my mind...
GO CANBERRA ATHLETIC!!!!!!!!
TheBigMan
TheBigMan
Other football teams : Millwall, Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus

Sun May 10, 2009 3:59 pm
JohnLovesCanberraUnited wrote:
Proud2BeCanberran wrote:Yea what are we actually Uniting. Athletic for me.

We are uniting Canberra!!! duh... so lets go with united but I do like athletic because it sooo original... u know wat i change my mind...
GO CANBERRA ATHLETIC!!!!!!!!

make up your mind mate...
im going with canberra united
i dont care if there are two other uniteds, i love the name and think we should stick with it
Chris1822
Chris1822

Mon May 11, 2009 1:30 pm
what if there are three other uniteds?
Gerrards_Homies808
Gerrards_Homies808
Other football teams : Liverpool F.C.& Celtic F.C.

Mon May 11, 2009 4:20 pm
I think that United is just not right for us it should be Athletic.
Parrbo

Tue May 12, 2009 8:28 am
Canberra Athletic for me, original and has a nice ring to it :)
the head
the head

Tue May 12, 2009 12:31 pm
Canberra Jointed? I know it's not a word, but it should be. :shock:
Raider_United
Raider_United

Tue May 12, 2009 4:15 pm
the head wrote:Canberra Jointed? I know it's not a word, but it should be. :shock:

:?:
Toby
Toby

Thu May 14, 2009 10:36 am
I still prefer Canberra Royal Bluebell F.C but I think the name is decided as Canberra Athletic.. I think we have had enough debate over it and the vast majority are for it.
the head
the head

Thu May 14, 2009 4:27 pm
Tobster wrote:I still prefer Canberra Royal Bluebell F.C

Me too. I don't care if the other fans call us the blueballs. Bring it on.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum